Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 59 of 59

Thread: CBO : 7 Million to Lose their Insurance under Obamacare

  1. #51
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: CBO : 7 Million to Lose their Insurance under Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    But not unexpected!

    It's what we have come to see as normal...make a mistake, then blame someone else... anyone else!

    I sure hope I live long enough to meet one of those perfect beings...it would be the highlight of my life!
    Good morning Lady P - let me introduce myself, I'm Perfect!!

  2. #52
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,650

    Re: CBO : 7 Million to Lose their Insurance under Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Again, if we just did the smart thing and went for UHC like all the reformers wanted in the first place, all of this could have been avoided. Instead the got the watered down, profit driven, Romneycare plan. Aren't you proud of yourself?
    Just who is "we"? PPACA was created entirely by demorats and recieved (and needed) ZERO republicant's votes. Are you disrespecting the "leadership" of Obama, Pelosi and Reid?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #53
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,355

    Re: CBO : 7 Million to Lose their Insurance under Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Good morning Lady P - let me introduce myself, I'm Perfect!!
    Good morning, CJ.

    Oh, I already knew that!

    You just have to work a little harder on the "blaming someone else" part...you just don't have it down pat yet....

  4. #54
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: CBO : 7 Million to Lose their Insurance under Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Good morning, CJ.

    Oh, I already knew that!

    You just have to work a little harder on the "blaming someone else" part...you just don't have it down pat yet....
    Never was any good at blaming others - I make so many mistakes, it's hard to find enough others to blame.

  5. #55
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,355

    Re: CBO : 7 Million to Lose their Insurance under Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Never was any good at blaming others - I make so many mistakes, it's hard to find enough others to blame.
    LOL ! Have a great day, CJ!

  6. #56
    Guru
    BWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South Coast
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 11:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,203

    Re: CBO : 7 Million to Lose their Insurance under Obamacare

    Meh, all it says is that, because of the ATRA, the government will stop subsidizing some folks health care, via tax breaks for the company they work for.

    The sooner we get away from employer based health insurance, the better.

    Lower marginal tax rates under the American Taxpayer Relief Act reduce the tax benefit associated with employment-based health insurance and will lead to a greater reduction in such coverage and higher
    enrollment in insurance exchanges
    than previously estimated by CBO and JCT.

    http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/fil...getOutlook.pdf
    “We just simply don’t know how to govern” - Rep. Steve Womack (R-AR) a member of the House Budget Committee

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: CBO : 7 Million to Lose their Insurance under Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Calling a valid argument a "lie" or even worse a "LIE" shows weakness in argument... underscored by the fact that the best you could do is provide your own opinion in retort. I see no back up to your claim. Now, it was fair game to argue why life expectancy and infant mortality are not full indicators.... and you made some attempt at that argument. But, these factors remain the primary measure of world health organizations...so you can not call the comparison of cost to life expectancy a "lie" when it is the accepted language of measure...

    Taking us beyond the raw numbers for reason is intelligent argument. In doing so, however, you can’t dismiss widely acknowledged facts as mere “lies” .... they are facts. You can, however, acknowledge the fact in a “yes, but have to understand” fashion. As a matter of illustration, the discussion of the national debt has a similar argument…. The fact is that national debt rose by $5T during the Obama administration... it’s a fact (not a lie)… but to truly understand “how” or to appropriately argue that such is not Obama's fault is a “yes, but you have to understand argument” We will stop there as that particular argument has another place (plenty of places, in fact) to carry on. The point is that to be credible in retort you have to acknowledge the obvious…

    I did follow-up on your arguments. Since you gave me no support for your assertions (you should have), I found my own:

    http://repository.upenn.edu/cgi/view...working_papers
    National-Academies.org | Newsroom

    Now each of these articles takes out accidents, murders and other deaths largely attributable to those under 50… Over 50 results are still poor (29th in world). So forget murders and accidents in your retort, they are irrelevant. But, the articles do well illustrate the complexity of using longevity as a sole determinant of quality in measuring the healthcare delivery system. They do not blame the healthcare delivery system for the poor result. So, I learned something here by going a bit deeper. Thank you.

    These studies, however, do not lead anyone to the conclusion that the US has the BEST healthcare in the world. They merely suggest that our life expectancy is shorter for complex reasons. At best, they make the argument that our healthcare results are not as ugly as portrayed. They never address the high cost of delivery, hence the efficiency thereof. At best, the conclusion might be that the US delivery system “Costs more, does the same”… if so, it is still one of the most inefficient systems in the industrial world.

    You, OTH, went even bolder than to argue that are system wasn’t bad; you asserted that we are “ the world leader in healthcare performance” Sorry, while you refuted the facts that held the claim that we were as bad as #37 (WHO rankings), you offered ZERO evidence that we were the best. It appears you logic is that if we are not #37 then we must be #1. Clean that one up or back down as the prevailing evidence is that the US system is, at best, OK.

    Now, my major point on the weakness of the healthcare system is the lack of access. The fact that 48 million people (pre ACA) have no access to healthcare is a significant contributing factor. You can’t have 1/6 of your population outside the system and claim it’s a great delivery system. Now, to me that seems axiomatic.... but I like to back up what I say.

    New study finds 45,000 deaths annually linked to lack of health coverage | Harvard Gazette
    Access to Health Care
    http://www.kff.org/uninsured/upload/1420-14.pdf
    I had a long and detailed response, but unfortunately I lost my post.

    Unfortunately, I have to go meet up with a study group so I'll just give you my cites.

    MMS: Error
    U.S. Cancer Care Is Number One | NCPA
    Why That 48 Million Uninsured Number is Wrong | National Review Institute Blog
    The Health and Medical Technology Industry in the United States | SelectUSA
    The Ignored Facts of American Healthcare | Hoover Institution

  8. #58
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,313

    Re: CBO : 7 Million to Lose their Insurance under Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    ...might be why I included 3 cites... which,
    may I point, is 2 to 3 more than my
    leading competitor. Here is another, if the previous were not sufficient...

    http://umaine.edu/ble/files/2011/01/...are-system.pdf

    The graph is nonetheless quite revealing... I mean, there isn't a small difference here but a huge difference. While lifestyle might be part of the story, it isn't close to the whole story.

    The real guts of why US has poorer healthcare outcomes is that so many people in the US have no healthcare access... and healthcare for the uninsured is not about prevention but about crisis.... Somewhat akin to car maintenance by fixing known problems rather than changing the oil.
    Poor analogy. What if that "car" ate massive amounts of high fat foods and processed sugar and sat on its fat ass all day ?

    What if we had a near public emergency proportion of "cars" with type 2 diabeetees ?

    Canada can keep its long waits for basic procedures and its disgusting overcrowded ER rooms as it controls its rising healrh care expense by limiting treatments.

    You realize there is a push in single payer systems to privatize because rationed care paid for with increased tax's is at best inhumane.

    Also, you people lie. You just do. ObamaCare is going to be a disaster and that 7million # is going to triple by 2020.

    UHC in a Country of 300+ million with an open Southern border ?

    HOW could it be payed for ?

  9. #59
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,127

    Re: CBO : 7 Million to Lose their Insurance under Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    Thank you. Those were all excellent. You adequately made your point. I do take exception with some aspects of a couple of nits within, including a couple of polls cited were unsupported and inconsistent with other national polls on healthcare satisfaction and comparing US seniors of lower income to other seniors of lower income suggesting that its a comparison of private healthcare to public healthcare as our seniors are on public healthcare. Those are nits.

    Collectively I think you supported the "yes, but consider this.." argument I was looking for. That said, collectively, the documents argue more for parity of US quality to the rest of the world (without addressing cost, hence efficiency) rather than superiority... but that is ok, as they well refute the notion that US healthcare is at the bottom of the industrial world. I will be a little less adamant in touting the significance life expectancy to cost in the future (until I find some reason to think otherwise).

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •