Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 315

Thread: EXCLUSIVE: Justice Department memo reveals legal case for drone strikes on Americans

  1. #271
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    01-28-15 @ 06:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    5,587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: EXCLUSIVE: Justice Department memo reveals legal case for drone strikes on Americ

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I'd like to think this couldn't happen here, but I have a little bit of concern that we are heading down a slippery slope. It didn't just start. It started with local police buying and obtain surplus military equipment. And not he govt is all over the idea of limiting fire arms.
    There are several interesting, developing stories going on within the United States currently. Federal agencies stockpiling ammunition, for example. Drones in our skies. And yes, the constant bombardment of the Second Amendment since at least last July (2012), and more specifically, since last December by the liberal media (lead by Piers Morgan, in my opinion). As well, the constant shifting of definitions in terms of what a 'terrorist' is. Do some prognostications. Some, what Donald Rumsfeld liked, out-of-the-box thinking. Where are we heading?

  2. #272
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: EXCLUSIVE: Justice Department memo reveals legal case for drone strikes on Americ

    Quote Originally Posted by Monserrat View Post
    The US since at least the beginning of March 2011 had been warning US citizens that they could no longer ensure their safety in Yemen. They warned Americans to get out of Yemen and they warned Americans not to go into Yemen. That Drone Strike that killed Al-Alwaki's son was targeting a very dangerous senior member of Al-qaeda, Ibrahim al-Banna.
    Well the US has also been warning people not to go to Mexico. Do you think it stopped all those from going down to or Club Med? All those resorts despite what was going on there?

    Now think if it was you and the Government said you shouldn't go looking for your father, despite labeling him a terrorist. Maybe the kid knew or didn't know. Also how many 16yrs old listen to their parents and grandparents.

  3. #273
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,285

    Re: EXCLUSIVE: Justice Department memo reveals legal case for drone strikes on Americ

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Well the US has also been warning people not to go to Mexico. Do you think it stopped all those from going down to or Club Med? All those resorts despite what was going on there?

    Now think if it was you and the Government said you shouldn't go looking for your father, despite labeling him a terrorist. Maybe the kid knew or didn't know. Also how many 16yrs old listen to their parents and grandparents.
    Exactly! For many decades the Department of State has had a list of countries "not to go to". Nothing new.

    Nowadays the US has drones killing innocent people in countries all over the world, and we wonder why people hate us?

  4. #274
    Professor
    Monserrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    04-29-14 @ 11:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: EXCLUSIVE: Justice Department memo reveals legal case for drone strikes on Americ

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Well the US has also been warning people not to go to Mexico. Do you think it stopped all those from going down to or Club Med? All those resorts despite what was going on there?

    Now think if it was you and the Government said you shouldn't go looking for your father, despite labeling him a terrorist. Maybe the kid knew or didn't know. Also how many 16yrs old listen to their parents and grandparents.
    They didn't label Al-Alwaki a terrorist. He was a terrorist but that's besides the point we're talking about the son here and his death. My only contention on that matter is that the US should not be blamed for it since he was not the target of the attack and they had been issuing warnings to American citizens for at least half a year before his death saying that Yemen was dangerous and that the US could not protect our citizens there.
    I believe half of the things I say and say half of the things I believe.

  5. #275
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: EXCLUSIVE: Justice Department memo reveals legal case for drone strikes on Americ

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    There are several interesting, developing stories going on within the United States currently. Federal agencies stockpiling ammunition, for example. Drones in our skies. And yes, the constant bombardment of the Second Amendment since at least last July (2012), and more specifically, since last December by the liberal media (lead by Piers Morgan, in my opinion). As well, the constant shifting of definitions in terms of what a 'terrorist' is. Do some prognostications. Some, what Donald Rumsfeld liked, out-of-the-box thinking. Where are we heading?
    Where are we heading?

    an escalation of the war on terror, as more and more people from places like Yemen decide it's time to take up arms against the United States,
    A combination of the war on terror and the war on drugs, so that the drones can be used in both wars.
    Drone strikes in more countries, including in the United States,
    A de fact marshal law, whether declared by Congress or not,
    continued erosion of civil liberties,
    continued apathy on the part of the citizens of the US,
    an even bigger prison system than we have, as we arrest more and more people in the war on drugs,

    Or, maybe:

    A return to sanity and the founding principles .... no, that's just crazy talk.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #276
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,109

    Re: EXCLUSIVE: Justice Department memo reveals legal case for drone strikes on Americ

    Quote Originally Posted by Monserrat View Post
    I feel like I'm missing something here?

    Even if he wasn't partaking in any terrorist activities, the US had been warning people for that entire year to leave Yemen to not go into Yemen because we could no longer ensure their safety there. Al-Alwaki's son was killed after that so unless there's evidence that he was clearly a target of the strike then the US is not at fault for his death.
    Just to point out. Warning Americans that the government cannot guarantee their safety =/= warning Americans that their own government might decide to kill them.

  7. #277
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: EXCLUSIVE: Justice Department memo reveals legal case for drone strikes on Americ

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    EXCLUSIVE: Justice Department memo reveals legal case for drone strikes on Americans - Open Channel



    How far can the government go? What happens if they find that this situation within the continental US? Where could this go?

    If I saw a drone I would blast it out of the sky then retrieve the thing...

  8. #278
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: EXCLUSIVE: Justice Department memo reveals legal case for drone strikes on Americ

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    If I saw a drone I would blast it out of the sky then retrieve the thing...


    Better get a 50 Cal.

  9. #279
    Professor
    Monserrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    04-29-14 @ 11:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: EXCLUSIVE: Justice Department memo reveals legal case for drone strikes on Americ

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Just to point out. Warning Americans that the government cannot guarantee their safety =/= warning Americans that their own government might decide to kill them.
    but in the case that I was talking about the government didn't decide to kill an american they went after I high ranking al-Qaeda member and the kid unfortunately was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

    Unless you can prove that they were specifically targeting him?
    I believe half of the things I say and say half of the things I believe.

  10. #280
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,109

    Re: EXCLUSIVE: Justice Department memo reveals legal case for drone strikes on Americ

    Quote Originally Posted by Monserrat View Post
    but in the case that I was talking about the government didn't decide to kill an american they went after I high ranking al-Qaeda member and the kid unfortunately was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

    Unless you can prove that they were specifically targeting him?
    That material is and will likely remain classified for another 50 or so years. So we don't know what the President knew about likely civilian deaths in the event of that strike. I'm just pointing out that the travel advisory defense is so flimsy a defense as to be almost nonexistant; as it addresses something completely different.

Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •