Page 88 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast
Results 871 to 880 of 1347

Thread: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global [W:478]

  1. #871
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,589

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global [W

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Read Nature. Science. PNAS. The proof is there. Don't fault them because YOU can't/won't comprehend it.


    I only doubt. It takes very little to create doubt in an open mind.

    I takes a wide and deep amount of proof to create belief in an open mind.

    If one has faith, ones does not need proof. I don't have faith so I need proof. You apparently don't need proof.
    I am not of the mind that a man is either of science or of religion. At his best and his worst, man exists in the misty glimmering where the falling angel meets the rising ape. That he chooses a direction from that point defines him as human.

  2. #872
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,589

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    I've tried to appeal to you with logic, facts, solid information, but it bounces off of you like a superball off concrete. Its like trying to teach Ralph Wiggum rocket science. At some point you can't take it anymore and have a mental breakdown.


    Could you refer me to the post that has the silver bullet of proof that absolutely proves the Science of AGW?

    What you seem to think you have posted apparently was not well enough explained.

    Perhaps you could favor me?

    You don't even need to use the emoticons. Unless you think a 7th grade girl is going to be reading this, too.
    I am not of the mind that a man is either of science or of religion. At his best and his worst, man exists in the misty glimmering where the falling angel meets the rising ape. That he chooses a direction from that point defines him as human.

  3. #873
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by code1211 View Post
    And yet none of what you post has to do with the science of the topic. You only post that a rigged survey claims that 97% agree when actually only 32% agree.

    Beyond that, you don't say what it is exactly that they agree to and when that agreement was reached and who conducted the survey and how.

    You really are posting nothing but opinion.
    But it does. I've linked many things. I topped when it became clear you weren't reading it.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #874
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,589

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    But it does. I've linked many things. I topped when it became clear you weren't reading it.


    Post the silver bullet for me.
    I am not of the mind that a man is either of science or of religion. At his best and his worst, man exists in the misty glimmering where the falling angel meets the rising ape. That he chooses a direction from that point defines him as human.

  5. #875
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by code1211 View Post
    You have supported that particular claim which is particularly vague and meaningless.

    Who conducted the survey and how was the survey conducted? When was the survey conducted?

    What contribution have they agreed upon? 1%? 5%? 50%? 100%?

    How much warming in degrees do they agree has occurred and from what point in time are they starting the measure?

    There is nothing at all that is scientific about what you have posted. It is propaganda to support an agenda. There is no science and no proof of the topic included in what you say.

    However, for what it's worth, you have supported the particularly meaningless phrase that you said.
    I've given more than one link dealing with it. Each can be followed to answer those questions.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #876
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    But it does. I've linked many things. I topped when it became clear you weren't reading it.

    Wow, the nerve....You have the absolute gall to talk about what others read, or don't read that you post links to, that can span from a simple article of opinion that you agree with, to some big study that contains one line in a hundred pages that supports your belief, but you won't post the relevant point. That is pure obfuscation on your part, trying to make yourself seem scholarly when presenting your blind faith in AGW.

    You then dismiss anything offered on the opposing argument without even reading it yourself, or in simpler terms when a video is given, and all you have to do is watch it and you don't but instead comment on it attacking the person talking, in this case a commentator, Krauthammer, which I would stand up against you in a debate any minute, of any day of the week, and failing to hear whom he was talking about, or addressing the person, showing your ignorance.

    BTW, the person he spoke of Freeman Dyson, probably one of the smartest people on the planet, and an Obama supporter himself for your information...A little background for you....

    Freeman Dyson is a scientist of enormous stature. For more than four decades, he taught theoretical physics at Princeton's Institute for Advanced Study - described by the New York Times as "the most rarefied community of scholars" in the US.
    In a recent 8,000-word profile, the Times says Dyson is "a scientist whose intelligence is revered by other scientists." One colleague describes him as "infinitely smart." Another says: "You point Freeman at a problem and he’ll solve it. He’s extraordinarily powerful.”

    Dyson is also a longstanding member of JASON - "a small government-financed group of the country’s finest scientists" that evaluates matters of an often classified nature. At JASON meetings, in which everyone present is considered brilliant, reports the Times, someone will idly pose a math question and Dyson will quickly provide an answer, pointing out that "the smallest such number is 18 digits long."

    In the words of one of Dyson's colleagues, "When this happened one day at lunch, the table fell silent; nobody had the slightest idea how Freeman could have known such a fact or...could have derived it in his head in about two seconds.”

    Dyson, who has written several books and received numerous awards (including 21 honorary degrees), is a big-picture thinker. The Times says he's known for his "interpretive clarity" and his "penetrating ability to grasp the method and significance of what many kinds of scientists do."

    Now 85, Dyson has lived in the same house for more than 50 years and has been married to the same woman for equally as long. His car bears an Obama bumper sticker.

    For the past four years, he has also challenged prevailing ideas about climate change. In a nutshell, he thinks the computer-generated models being used to predict long-term climate consequences are flawed because scientists have too little information about many of the variables that must be taken into account.

    In 2007, Dyson reminded a Salon writer: "I was in the business of studying climate change at least 30 years ago before it became fashionable." Having seen many faddish notions come and go, Dyson is distressed that many environmentalists now believe "global warming is the greatest threat to the ecology of our planet."

    Although the public thinks that "anyone who is skeptical about the dangers of global warming is an enemy of the environment," he feels the opposite is true.

    "Many of the skeptics are passionate environmentalists," he insists. But they believe old-fashioned pollution and nuclear weapons are bigger concerns.

    Based on Dyson's understanding of where the science of biotechnology is headed, he feels that "in 50 years, this whole problem of fossil fuels will evaporate." Just as computer technology has transformed the world in recent decades, he foresees a future in which biologists are able to manipulate the fuel-producing - and carbon dioxide processing - properties of trees.

    "We'll have an ample supply of fuel without having to dig it out of the ground," he insists. "Fifty years is long enough for that kind of technology to take over the world, and 50 years is short enough so that the climate won't have changed very much in the meantime."

    Dyson may or may not be correct about global warming. But as he himself points out, his arguments deserve to be heard. Silencing our finest minds won't lead to a better future.

    Freeman Dyson and global warming
    Now the man speaking himself....



    There, both medium's for you print, and video. Now read, and watch before commenting Joe, and try to give an intelligent retort please. Thank you.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #877
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Wow, the nerve....You have the absolute gall to talk about what others read, or don't read that you post links to, that can span from a simple article of opinion that you agree with, to some big study that contains one line in a hundred pages that supports your belief, but you won't post the relevant point. That is pure obfuscation on your part, trying to make yourself seem scholarly when presenting your blind faith in AGW.

    You then dismiss anything offered on the opposing argument without even reading it yourself, or in simpler terms when a video is given, and all you have to do is watch it and you don't but instead comment on it attacking the person talking, in this case a commentator, Krauthammer, which I would stand up against you in a debate any minute, of any day of the week, and failing to hear whom he was talking about, or addressing the person, showing your ignorance.

    BTW, the person he spoke of Freeman Dyson, probably one of the smartest people on the planet, and an Obama supporter himself for your information...A little background for you....



    Now the man speaking himself....



    There, both medium's for you print, and video. Now read, and watch before commenting Joe, and try to give an intelligent retort please. Thank you.
    yes, he's a bright fellow. But you'd demonize him if he said the opposite. His only attraction to you is he says what you want heard. He still doesn't represent the entire community, not even close. And he is not the only smart fellow in the room.

    You should always seek a rebuttal:

    Of course, models have been tested against the real world (both today's and eons ago's) and many of Dyson's other objections have been rebutted elsewhere. He also did not address the real world impacts already observed: ice melt, sea level rise, ocean acidification and more. His main concern seems to be that worrying about climate change distracts from more important problems such as poverty and infectious disease. Many might note that poverty (the inundation of Bangladesh) and infectious disease (improved conditions for transmission) are also problems exacerbated by climate change.

    But Dyson's purpose seems to be to throw out "heretical" ideas that can then spur further debate. (As even he would admit, his heresies are a little more grounded in the real world when he's talking about nuclear weapons. Before discussing climate change, he told a roomful of people who probably want to put former President Ronald Reagan on Mount Rushmore that the Great Communicator blew a real chance to rid the world of nuclear weapons in 1986 because he was too attached to the "Star Wars" missile defense program.) As he said: "I know a lot about nuclear weapons and nothing about climate change."

    News Blog: Freeman Dyson and the irresistible urge to be contrary about climate change

    So, J, I dismiss for reason and not arbitrarily. Can you actually read and listen?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #878
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    yes, he's a bright fellow. But you'd demonize him if he said the opposite. His only attraction to you is he says what you want heard. He still doesn't represent the entire community, not even close. And he is not the only smart fellow in the room.

    You should always seek a rebuttal:

    Of course, models have been tested against the real world (both today's and eons ago's) and many of Dyson's other objections have been rebutted elsewhere. He also did not address the real world impacts already observed: ice melt, sea level rise, ocean acidification and more. His main concern seems to be that worrying about climate change distracts from more important problems such as poverty and infectious disease. Many might note that poverty (the inundation of Bangladesh) and infectious disease (improved conditions for transmission) are also problems exacerbated by climate change.

    But Dyson's purpose seems to be to throw out "heretical" ideas that can then spur further debate. (As even he would admit, his heresies are a little more grounded in the real world when he's talking about nuclear weapons. Before discussing climate change, he told a roomful of people who probably want to put former President Ronald Reagan on Mount Rushmore that the Great Communicator blew a real chance to rid the world of nuclear weapons in 1986 because he was too attached to the "Star Wars" missile defense program.) As he said: "I know a lot about nuclear weapons and nothing about climate change."

    News Blog: Freeman Dyson and the irresistible urge to be contrary about climate change

    So, J, I dismiss for reason and not arbitrarily. Can you actually read and listen?
    *sigh* So, he's a "heretic" eh? That's not rebuttal, that is character assassination.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #879
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    *sigh* So, he's a "heretic" eh? That's not rebuttal, that is character assassination.
    You never to read for comprehension. Always throwing in nonsense. No one is attacking his character. Only noting this isn't his area of expertise, something he admits to. Can't you even recognize this simple truth?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #880
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You never to read for comprehension. Always throwing in nonsense. No one is attacking his character. Only noting this isn't his area of expertise, something he admits to. Can't you even recognize this simple truth?
    How many including you hold out Noam Chomsky as some kind of end all of a conversation in matters he has NO training in? I remember much Joe.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 88 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •