Page 79 of 135 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129 ... LastLast
Results 781 to 790 of 1347

Thread: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global [W:478]

  1. #781
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global [W:478]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    No, you projected what you think I was saying. As usual, you are just pathetically wrong....nite now
    Nope. Interpreted what you actually said.

    Nite.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #782
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,214

    Re: UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global [W:478]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    This is Joe's usual tactic, I'm not biting this time. He can read....I think...
    I wouldn't put money on it.

  3. #783
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Even a blind squirrel finds the occasional nut.
    True, but it's funny how the right always find the nut that went off on their face

  4. #784
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,589

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global [W

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Instead of doing your homework for you again, why don't you show me one significant scientific organization that has specifically rejected the theory?



    You must have been a delight in grade school.

    This is YOUR homework, not mine.

    You tried to find this once before and failed.

    Your are free to cite the science organization that that has declared AGW to be a scientific theory.

    I'll give you a head start. The UK Met office knows this to be a hypothesis. You know, an unproven assertion.

    However, by the standards set forth by Duke University for an assertion to qualify as a scientific hypothesis, this doesn't even meet those far looser criteria. You folks have a long way to go.

    Anthropogenic Global Warming theory
    <snip>
    The UK Met Office describes the Anthropogenic Global Warming (AGW) hypothesis as follows: “It is now clear that man-made greenhouse gases are causing climate change.
    <snip>

    http://biology.duke.edu/rausher/HYPOTHES.pdf
    Last edited by code1211; 08-17-13 at 07:43 AM.
    I am not of the mind that a man is either of science or of religion. At his best and his worst, man exists in the misty glimmering where the falling angel meets the rising ape. That he chooses a direction from that point defines him as human.

  5. #785
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,589

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    But co2 is a greenhouse gas, are you saying it is not a green house gas?


    Of course not. The fact of the matter is, though, that it can only do so much warming as is evidenced by the actual real world performance of the Climate.

    As the concentration of CO2 increases incrementally, the resulting effect of each incremental increase diminishes. Think of it as having light escaping from a room though a window as the Earth's heat radiation escapes from the atmosphere.

    Put a coat of paint on the window and the amount of light escaping decreases dramatically. Apply a second coat and the amount decreases a little more. Not as much as the first decrease. Apply a third coat and a fourth. With every additional coat, the decrease in the amount of blocked light becomes less and less. The same occurs with the Green house effect of CO2. At the concentration of CO2 we currently have, about 400 ppm, we are at about the "20th coat of paint".

    The first 20 ppm would have been quite significant. The 20th has almost no impact.

    4. Carbon dioxide is already absorbing almost all it can JoNova
    I am not of the mind that a man is either of science or of religion. At his best and his worst, man exists in the misty glimmering where the falling angel meets the rising ape. That he chooses a direction from that point defines him as human.

  6. #786
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,589

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    Well, my take is yes. It is a greenhouse gas. However, that doesn't mean it has the most influence of what we base climate change on. Now where I would say Code is either technically wrong, or misspoke, is saying AGW means CO2. I read his words as meaning implying CO2 only, but I would distinguish the hypothesis as meaning CO2 is the largest contributor. That is where I strongly disagree.

    Yes, CO2 has a minor role in climate change, and is also rather dependent of what you mean by climate change. Climate change is a catch all phrasing that the alarmist community went to.

    There are so many factors that change climate. Starting with the sun, it is the source of almost all the earth's heat. A minor change in solar heat doesn't seem like much. Most of us think in terms of Celsius of Fahrenheit. However, when doing any math with temperature and heat other than addition and subtraction, one must first convert to kelvin. Scientists agree that the earth's average is about 15 C, or 288 K. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that a long term solar change in tenths of a percent make a notable change.

    Keep in mind, any temperature in Celsius equals to a number 273.15 higher in Kelvin.



    You're right, of course. The albedo and the various deforestation elements and heat island components are there as well all of the various changes to the eco systems just to support the 7 billion hungry mouths we have grown to as a race of humans. Made possible, in passing, by the blessings of fossil fuels.

    CO2 is the great boogie man that is always thrown up so that is the one that is most misunderstood due to the willfully wrong presentation of materials by the Diehards.
    I am not of the mind that a man is either of science or of religion. At his best and his worst, man exists in the misty glimmering where the falling angel meets the rising ape. That he chooses a direction from that point defines him as human.

  7. #787
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,589

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    I generally don't respond to your posts as they're abnormally silly but... you really need to be slapped for this nonsense you spam everywhere.

    I never said I was 100% sure of prevailing climate change science. I think its the best science available and far more credible than anything the deniers present. I don't rail against legitimate skeptics, their job is important to the scientific community. Deniers are different than skeptics. You are a denier, LoP is a denier. You don't frame challenges to climate change in an honest, pragmatic, sensible manner. You blurt out tidbits of pseudo science all the while denigrating every aspect of the solid science being performed by the larger scientific body.

    The terminology you use is offensive and controversial. You call science faith. You say that climate change science is chalk full of holes as though it is some kind of amateur kludged garbage thrown together on a whim. You then call it "fact".

    You're basically a human form of a fossil fuel industry propaganda / disinformation campaign. If you think that crap you read is anything close to "expert" opinion or grounded in solid science, you're going to have a very skewed sense of reality. I suggest you get a good book on integrated science and have a read through it. Learn the scientific method and what good sources look like. Learn some critical thinking skills along the way and you can leave this denier nonsense in the past.


    Wow! Not a single fact to support anything you say, but cock sure of your assertions. Good for you!

    Have you come up with even one science organization that has elevated this notion to being a Scientific Theory? If not, then the scientific community with which you claim affinity has not given the kind of support to this notion that you imply they hold.

    Have you produced even one accurate 30 year old prediction of the temperature?

    It is you who are crowing that science supports the assertions of AGW. At some point, there must be evidence in the real world that the assertion is more than just a dream.

    I doubt with good cause. You believe with very little cause.
    I am not of the mind that a man is either of science or of religion. At his best and his worst, man exists in the misty glimmering where the falling angel meets the rising ape. That he chooses a direction from that point defines him as human.

  8. #788
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,589

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, it is the argument. He said we can't effect the environment. Can we or can't we?


    Okay, you may not know what a Straw Man argument is. It is a deceitful diversion from the actual topic.

    For you reference:

    Logical Fallacy: Straw Man
    I am not of the mind that a man is either of science or of religion. At his best and his worst, man exists in the misty glimmering where the falling angel meets the rising ape. That he chooses a direction from that point defines him as human.

  9. #789
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,589

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Yes, a part. Water s also a part. Neither is the whole. Both are part. Easier to see water. But if I can effect water, doesn't it stand to reason I can effect land? Air? Warming?



    The argument of AGW is: CO2 increased in the ecosystem due to the activities of man. As a result of this increase, warming occurred. By reducing the amount of CO2 emitted by the activities of Man, the warming will end.

    The assertion is that man can control and direct the climate of the planet.

    That is what we are talking about.

    You are trying to create a diversion by attacking a straw man.
    I am not of the mind that a man is either of science or of religion. At his best and his worst, man exists in the misty glimmering where the falling angel meets the rising ape. That he chooses a direction from that point defines him as human.

  10. #790
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global [W:478]

    Quote Originally Posted by code1211 View Post
    You're right, of course. The albedo and the various deforestation elements and heat island components are there as well all of the various changes to the eco systems just to support the 7 billion hungry mouths we have grown to as a race of humans. Made possible, in passing, by the blessings of fossil fuels.

    CO2 is the great boogie man that is always thrown up so that is the one that is most misunderstood due to the willfully wrong presentation of materials by the Diehards.
    Because it is the only one able to be exploited for wealth redistribution.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •