Page 55 of 135 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 550 of 1347

Thread: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global [W:478]

  1. #541
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,661

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    We've covered this before.

    2. Just a theory?

    Climate-change deniers and creationists have deployed the word "theory" to cast doubt on climate change and evolution.

    "It's as though it weren't true because it's just a theory," Allain said.

    That's despite the fact that an overwhelming amount of evidence supports both human-caused climate change and Darwin's theory of evolution.

    Part of the problem is that the word "theory" means something very different in lay language than it does in science: A scientific theory is an explanation of some aspect of the natural world that has been substantiated through repeated experiments or testing. But to the average Jane or Joe, a theory is just an idea that lives in someone's head, rather than an explanation rooted in experiment and testing.

    "Just a Theory": 7 Misused Science Words: Scientific American


    You have missed my point entirely. Again.

    Evolution is a Theory and that means that it almost certainly a fact. It can be changed and adapted as new stuff is discovered. However, even before the perfect understanding of why it works, it can be used to predict and make verifiably accurate statements of the condition of things that it affects and are affected by it. Evolution includes biology, genetics, medicine and every generational change of any species ever evolved. This is pretty complex. It involves literally millions of interactions. They can all be explained, predicted and anticipated by the Theory of Evolution.

    Does AGW Science do this? Let's check:

    It makes falsifiable predictions with consistent accuracy across a broad area of scientific inquiry (such as mechanics).

    Nope, missed it on this one.

    It is well-supported by many independent strands of evidence, rather than a single foundation. This ensures that it is probably a good approximation, if not completely correct.

    Let's see, what does "anthropogenic" mean... There's the activities of man and then there is... well you probably have guess this one. Missed again.

    It is consistent with pre-existing theories and other experimental results. (Its predictions may differ slightly from pre-existing theories in cases where they are more accurate than before.)

    The predictions of AGW Science are notable only because the are ALWAYS wrong. This really quite amazing. An unblemished record of failure. Missed on this one, too.

    It can be adapted and modified to account for new evidence as it is discovered, thus increasing its predictive capability over time.

    The Name of this tripe pretty well precludes any adaptation. The A part of AGW assigns the cause and did so before the case was closed. Really, before the case was opened. Adaptation away from being Anthropogenic pretty well destroys the entire discipline. Missed again.

    It is among the most parsimonious explanations, sparing in proposed entities or explanations. (See Occam's razor. Since there is no generally accepted objective definition of parsimony, this is not a strict criterion, but some theories are much less economical than others.)

    Let's see... Climate always has changed and it's changing again. The evidence needs to support a radical departure from previous climate changes and that is impossible since our planet's climate has at various times been pretty dynamic. Missed again.

    The moral of the story is that the politicians started out with a cause and told the scientists they would give them a whole big pile o' cash to do research on it.

    They took the cash. They are doing the research.
    Last edited by code1211; 08-12-13 at 07:39 AM.
    I am not of the mind that a man is either of science or of religion. At his best and his worst, man exists in the misty glimmering where the falling angel meets the rising ape. That he chooses a direction from that point defines him as human.

  2. #542
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,661

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I've done that already. I did it over many posts. Many sources.

    Quantifying the consensus on anthropogenic global warming in the scientific literature - IOPscience

    However, these types of articles are something you really should read:

    Denialism: what is it and how should scientists respond?

    (Snip)

    The third characteristic is selectivity, drawing on isolated papers that challenge the dominant consensus or high lighting the flaws in the weakest papers among those that support it as a means of discrediting the entire field.

    http://eurpub.oxfordjournals.org/con...9/1/2.full.pdf


    You say there is a consensus and now you are attacking debating techniques that I have not used.

    Still waiting for your response to the third piece.
    I am not of the mind that a man is either of science or of religion. At his best and his worst, man exists in the misty glimmering where the falling angel meets the rising ape. That he chooses a direction from that point defines him as human.

  3. #543
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,661

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    OK, If I were one of the scientists, I would be one of the 97.1% who agree AGW is happening.

    Please explain something to me...

    How many classify at the 50%?



    Where is that percentage? How many thought AGW was more than 50% of the warming?



    Yes, this fits you guys perfectly. You warmers are the denialists.


    You guys continue to have faith in the sciences you fail to understand.



    Al Gore, for example...



    Interesting how debates from skeptics are refused by the alarmists.


    This article demands the use of logic.

    If I throw a watermelon off a building and there is a parking lot below, no amount of logic will keep it from hitting that parking lot. Maybe the windshield of that Toyota. Crap!

    I gotta go.
    I am not of the mind that a man is either of science or of religion. At his best and his worst, man exists in the misty glimmering where the falling angel meets the rising ape. That he chooses a direction from that point defines him as human.

  4. #544
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,661

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    Back to this:

    Bond et al. 2013



    Solar Variability: Striking a Balance with Climate Change



    OK.

    Can someone explain to me how much CO2 contributes if the sun is responsible for 25% the global warming increase, and black carbon for 44% of it?


    Those who don't think about this are prone to accept this.

    Like any political argument that is presented in one sentence; if the rebuttal is three sentences, you lose.
    I am not of the mind that a man is either of science or of religion. At his best and his worst, man exists in the misty glimmering where the falling angel meets the rising ape. That he chooses a direction from that point defines him as human.

  5. #545
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,661

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by distraff View Post
    Is there a scientific consensus on black carbon being the reason for 44% of Global Warming?


    What makes this interesting is that there are at least 50 discreet causes of warming and they all have an impact and often those various impacts are interrelated and interdependent.

    In the case of each of these and all of these together, it's pretty obvious by now that modeling these presents problems that the best modelers in the world cannot overcome.

    If our entire effort is directed at the modification of one of the causes and that cause turns out to have no real impact, what have we done? Hint: The bridge to nowhere.

    http://c3headlines.typepad.com/.a/6a...5c9415b970b-pi
    I am not of the mind that a man is either of science or of religion. At his best and his worst, man exists in the misty glimmering where the falling angel meets the rising ape. That he chooses a direction from that point defines him as human.

  6. #546
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,661

    Re: UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warming

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    There is a great deal of money to be made from human-caused global warming. I wonder how many global warming advocates would continue in their quest to save the planet if all of the money dried up?

    If it were real one would think they would continue altruistically.


    Technocrats are rarely altruists if we are talking about spending their own money.

    If they are spending other people's money, no problemo!
    I am not of the mind that a man is either of science or of religion. At his best and his worst, man exists in the misty glimmering where the falling angel meets the rising ape. That he chooses a direction from that point defines him as human.

  7. #547
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,661

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Would you call for an open debate on gravity? You see, treating nonsense as if it were valid is showing bias.


    There actually is an open debate on gravity. One of the results is the verification of the black matter that apparently is pretty massive in the Universe.

    Scientists know that gravity works and how and when it will work terrestrially, but they are not completely clear on why it works. The when and where part is a Law. The why part is a Theory. Both parts can be used to make predictions and are the basis for other courses of action.

    AGW on the other hand, is a jumble of conjecture with no predictive capabilities. There was a cause and the AGW crowd assigned the effect.
    I am not of the mind that a man is either of science or of religion. At his best and his worst, man exists in the misty glimmering where the falling angel meets the rising ape. That he chooses a direction from that point defines him as human.

  8. #548
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,661

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    Anyone know if we have witness as large of a Coronal Hole in the sun, as the one we are witnessing since July?



    Link in above pic.

    another: NASA SOHO site


    I have no idea what this might mean. it looks like something from Star Wars. Is the big black spot a "cool" place on the Sun?
    I am not of the mind that a man is either of science or of religion. At his best and his worst, man exists in the misty glimmering where the falling angel meets the rising ape. That he chooses a direction from that point defines him as human.

  9. #549
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,661

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Well, you can read that as I've linked it. But the consent to GW being real and that man plays a role.



    And the question is, "How big a role does CO2 play in the warming of the planet?"

    The answer is, "Not so much."

    4. Carbon dioxide is already absorbing almost all it can JoNova
    I am not of the mind that a man is either of science or of religion. At his best and his worst, man exists in the misty glimmering where the falling angel meets the rising ape. That he chooses a direction from that point defines him as human.

  10. #550
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,661

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Unless of course you cherry pick something that isn't the argument, or misrepresent what's being said, or present something as factual that isn't. Go back to the article on tricks your side uses.


    I'm not using any tricks. Go ahead and make your case.
    I am not of the mind that a man is either of science or of religion. At his best and his worst, man exists in the misty glimmering where the falling angel meets the rising ape. That he chooses a direction from that point defines him as human.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •