Page 53 of 135 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 1347

Thread: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global [W:478]

  1. #521
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,589

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Again, the evidence is there for you.


    Which you apparently cannot produce. Why do you vigorously assert this when you cannot even explain it?
    I am not of the mind that a man is either of science or of religion. At his best and his worst, man exists in the misty glimmering where the falling angel meets the rising ape. That he chooses a direction from that point defines him as human.

  2. #522
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,589

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Because it is my point. So of course I'll repeat it. As we're novice, the consensus matters.

    Oh, and I'm a he.


    I kind of figured you were and then the previous poster raised the question and I didn't want to offend. In a different forum I was conversing with a white lady of about 75 years for about a year and discovered at that length of time that she was not the militant black 25 year old male depicted in her avatar.

    Anyway, if that is your only point, you really need to examine what the problems with the hypothesis are.

    Primary among the problems is that this is still a hypothesis despite being under review for decades. It does no meet even one of the criteria to be a scientific Theory and THAT all by itself should reveal something to you about the consensus.


    Scientific theory - Ask.com Encyclopedia

    A body of descriptions of knowledge is usually only called a theory if it has fulfilled these criteria:

    It makes falsifiable predictions with consistent accuracy across a broad area of scientific inquiry (such as mechanics).
    It is well-supported by many independent strands of evidence, rather than a single foundation. This ensures that it is probably a good approximation, if not completely correct.
    It is consistent with pre-existing theories and other experimental results. (Its predictions may differ slightly from pre-existing theories in cases where they are more accurate than before.)
    It can be adapted and modified to account for new evidence as it is discovered, thus increasing its predictive capability over time.
    It is among the most parsimonious explanations, sparing in proposed entities or explanations. (See Occam's razor. Since there is no generally accepted objective definition of parsimony, this is not a strict criterion, but some theories are much less economical than others.)
    The first three criteria are the most important. Theories considered scientific meet at least most of the criteria, but ideally all of them. This is true of such established theories as special and general relativity, quantum mechanics, plate tectonics, evolution, etc.
    I am not of the mind that a man is either of science or of religion. At his best and his worst, man exists in the misty glimmering where the falling angel meets the rising ape. That he chooses a direction from that point defines him as human.

  3. #523
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,264

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, that's want the word means, in the area of seven.
    I disagree.

    Regardless, you should know there are many more than "seven" scientists out there who disagree with the more common viewpoint.

    In this case, I think you are taking a tangent to argue a term that at worse, I misused.

  4. #524
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by code1211 View Post
    Well then, present any evidence that is evidence. How about that climate prediction based on AGW Science from 30 years ago that we can compare to the actual performance of the climate.

    Remember, the climate has been changing for billions of years. AGW Diehards are demanding we believe that the changes which are continuing have risen from a new and unique cause.

    It is up to you to prove that.
    I've done that already, many times.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #525
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,264

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by code1211 View Post
    Scientific theory - Ask.com Encyclopedia

    A body of descriptions of knowledge is usually only called a theory if it has fulfilled these criteria:

    It makes falsifiable predictions with consistent accuracy across a broad area of scientific inquiry (such as mechanics).
    It is well-supported by many independent strands of evidence, rather than a single foundation. This ensures that it is probably a good approximation, if not completely correct.
    It is consistent with pre-existing theories and other experimental results. (Its predictions may differ slightly from pre-existing theories in cases where they are more accurate than before.)
    It can be adapted and modified to account for new evidence as it is discovered, thus increasing its predictive capability over time.
    It is among the most parsimonious explanations, sparing in proposed entities or explanations. (See Occam's razor. Since there is no generally accepted objective definition of parsimony, this is not a strict criterion, but some theories are much less economical than others.)
    The first three criteria are the most important. Theories considered scientific meet at least most of the criteria, but ideally all of them. This is true of such established theories as special and general relativity, quantum mechanics, plate tectonics, evolution, etc.
    Funny.

    I don't see consensus anywhere in that definition.

    What am I missing?

  6. #526
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by code1211 View Post
    I kind of figured you were and then the previous poster raised the question and I didn't want to offend. In a different forum I was conversing with a white lady of about 75 years for about a year and discovered at that length of time that she was not the militant black 25 year old male depicted in her avatar.

    Anyway, if that is your only point, you really need to examine what the problems with the hypothesis are.

    Primary among the problems is that this is still a hypothesis despite being under review for decades. It does no meet even one of the criteria to be a scientific Theory and THAT all by itself should reveal something to you about the consensus.


    Scientific theory - Ask.com Encyclopedia

    A body of descriptions of knowledge is usually only called a theory if it has fulfilled these criteria:

    It makes falsifiable predictions with consistent accuracy across a broad area of scientific inquiry (such as mechanics).
    It is well-supported by many independent strands of evidence, rather than a single foundation. This ensures that it is probably a good approximation, if not completely correct.
    It is consistent with pre-existing theories and other experimental results. (Its predictions may differ slightly from pre-existing theories in cases where they are more accurate than before.)
    It can be adapted and modified to account for new evidence as it is discovered, thus increasing its predictive capability over time.
    It is among the most parsimonious explanations, sparing in proposed entities or explanations. (See Occam's razor. Since there is no generally accepted objective definition of parsimony, this is not a strict criterion, but some theories are much less economical than others.)
    The first three criteria are the most important. Theories considered scientific meet at least most of the criteria, but ideally all of them. This is true of such established theories as special and general relativity, quantum mechanics, plate tectonics, evolution, etc.
    We've covered this before.

    2. Just a theory?

    Climate-change deniers and creationists have deployed the word "theory" to cast doubt on climate change and evolution.

    "It's as though it weren't true because it's just a theory," Allain said.

    That's despite the fact that an overwhelming amount of evidence supports both human-caused climate change and Darwin's theory of evolution.

    Part of the problem is that the word "theory" means something very different in lay language than it does in science: A scientific theory is an explanation of some aspect of the natural world that has been substantiated through repeated experiments or testing. But to the average Jane or Joe, a theory is just an idea that lives in someone's head, rather than an explanation rooted in experiment and testing.

    "Just a Theory": 7 Misused Science Words: Scientific American

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #527
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,264

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I've done that already, many times.
    I haven't seen any.

    How about reminding us of one example please. Maybe we forgot.

  8. #528
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    I disagree.

    Regardless, you should know there are many more than "seven" scientists out there who disagree with the more common viewpoint.

    In this case, I think you are taking a tangent to argue a term that at worse, I misused.
    again, there isn't a lot if them. They make up a very small percentage. They are the outliners.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #529
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    I haven't seen any.

    How about reminding us of one example please. Maybe we forgot.
    Then you haven't looked. I've laid out if my claim, that there is a consensus, and to rebut his claim, that there is no solid evidence of GW and mans role.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #530
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,264

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    We've covered this before.

    2. Just a theory?

    Climate-change deniers and creationists have deployed the word "theory" to cast doubt on climate change and evolution.

    "It's as though it weren't true because it's just a theory," Allain said.

    That's despite the fact that an overwhelming amount of evidence supports both human-caused climate change and Darwin's theory of evolution.

    Part of the problem is that the word "theory" means something very different in lay language than it does in science: A scientific theory is an explanation of some aspect of the natural world that has been substantiated through repeated experiments or testing. But to the average Jane or Joe, a theory is just an idea that lives in someone's head, rather than an explanation rooted in experiment and testing.

    "Just a Theory": 7 Misused Science Words: Scientific American
    LOL...

    Great article... for a magazine that caters to laymen.

    A real scientific magazine would choose to enforce the terminology to be correct, instead of dumbing down.

    I used to love Scientific American, until I actually started to study real science.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •