Page 130 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 1347

Thread: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global [W:478]

  1. #1291
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I'm not a policy maker.
    Are you kidding me here? No **** sherlock, you're not a policymaker...Thank God for that one Captain Obvious.

    We should heed the best evidence available.
    I think we do. And if the best evidence is that AGW is a scam though, you would ignore it. So, you really don't think that, rather just pay lip service to the notion.

    We should lower our impact as much as possible.
    I also think we do that....Maybe you missed that there are no longer muscle cars on the road, no longer leaded gas to buy, and a host of other things that have changed over the years....But it is never great enough, nor fast enough for you is it?

    We should pursue alternatives.
    If alternatives are profitable and make sense, then the private sector would do far better than governmental force.

    Which ones should be burden e based.
    Don't know what you mean here.

    Consequences? What are the consequences if we don't?
    We don't know for a certainty because the science has been manipulated to accommodate a political agenda.

    But seriously, very little.
    Are you saying that life doesn't change much for the poor, and middle class, if what you want is fully implemented? Either you don't read much, or you only read what agrees with your view then.

    Work force moves from one industry to another.
    What? And the 50 year old guy that has been working in one area for 25 years, building for retirement, has to retrain to shift? That is IF he can find a company willing to invest in a worker that is only working for another 15 years? Good grief, you have no idea do you?

    Over all a push, just as regulations have been - loss in one area and gain in another.
    We've seen the loss, with the job participation numbers lowest in decades, where is the gain? Because I don't see it.

    J, I find it funny you call me an academic and old guy and swaggerlogin say I'm not.
    You've always told me that you were in education....Although it took me 10 years to find out the truth. You started out telling me that you were a Professor, and taught "rhetoric", remember that one? Then you dropped the professor tag, and told me you taught English at a college. Then it was revealed that although you did produce some local highlight clipping from the local free paper showing you seemingly teaching to an empty classroom, it was determined that you taught at the local VoTech, or Community College although what I don't know yet....But the empty classroom in the pic you provided was telling....Maybe sawyer is right, but I give you the benefit of the doubt for now...

    But here's the thing. We've been larger giving way to business for a long time now and seen the standard of living decrease.
    Nonsense....Progressives like you have been tightening the screws on business to the point that it is easier to get a licence to do business in China than it is here.

    Automation, outsourcing, and anti-working person sentiment has led us to lower standards of living.
    The "anti working person sentiment" comes from the progressive side of things...That much we see here.

    A very religious conservatives here calls t he Mexicanizing of America.
    What do his religious beliefs have to do with anything? Or do you just despise religious people?

    I believe you focus your energies in the wrong areas.
    Why should I care what you believe about me? I do just fine trust me....

    The consequences of addressing our contributions to GW are minor.
    What do you call "minor"? When a poor person can't afford to get gas to work if they wanted to? When a middle class person can't buy enough groceries to get through the week because your policies have raised those prices? When your policies say that 7-8% unemployment is the new norm? Pfft....Minor....Yeah right...

    But, if the science holds, better than not. If the science doesn't hold, were not worse off by caring for our environment.
    "If the science holds"????? What the hell is that? Well, I thought that it was settled? Are you saying now that it isn't?

    It's really a fools game to fight for amounts to pollution.
    That is a strawman argument, set up politically to paint those that disagree with you as something nefarious....It's BS Joe, and you know it.

    I must repeat, you continue to get answers to what you ask.
    Oh yeah, I get answers all right....That's because myself, along with a few others won't let you get away with your nonsense.....Your answer above is very telling....
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #1292
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global warm

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Are you kidding me here? No **** sherlock, you're not a policymaker...Thank God for that one Captain Obvious.



    I think we do. And if the best evidence is that AGW is a scam though, you would ignore it. So, you really don't think that, rather just pay lip service to the notion.



    I also think we do that....Maybe you missed that there are no longer muscle cars on the road, no longer leaded gas to buy, and a host of other things that have changed over the years....But it is never great enough, nor fast enough for you is it?



    If alternatives are profitable and make sense, then the private sector would do far better than governmental force.



    Don't know what you mean here.



    We don't know for a certainty because the science has been manipulated to accommodate a political agenda.



    Are you saying that life doesn't change much for the poor, and middle class, if what you want is fully implemented? Either you don't read much, or you only read what agrees with your view then.



    What? And the 50 year old guy that has been working in one area for 25 years, building for retirement, has to retrain to shift? That is IF he can find a company willing to invest in a worker that is only working for another 15 years? Good grief, you have no idea do you?



    We've seen the loss, with the job participation numbers lowest in decades, where is the gain? Because I don't see it.



    You've always told me that you were in education....Although it took me 10 years to find out the truth. You started out telling me that you were a Professor, and taught "rhetoric", remember that one? Then you dropped the professor tag, and told me you taught English at a college. Then it was revealed that although you did produce some local highlight clipping from the local free paper showing you seemingly teaching to an empty classroom, it was determined that you taught at the local VoTech, or Community College although what I don't know yet....But the empty classroom in the pic you provided was telling....Maybe sawyer is right, but I give you the benefit of the doubt for now...



    Nonsense....Progressives like you have been tightening the screws on business to the point that it is easier to get a licence to do business in China than it is here.



    The "anti working person sentiment" comes from the progressive side of things...That much we see here.



    What do his religious beliefs have to do with anything? Or do you just despise religious people?



    Why should I care what you believe about me? I do just fine trust me....



    What do you call "minor"? When a poor person can't afford to get gas to work if they wanted to? When a middle class person can't buy enough groceries to get through the week because your policies have raised those prices? When your policies say that 7-8% unemployment is the new norm? Pfft....Minor....Yeah right...



    "If the science holds"????? What the hell is that? Well, I thought that it was settled? Are you saying now that it isn't?



    That is a strawman argument, set up politically to paint those that disagree with you as something nefarious....It's BS Joe, and you know it.



    Oh yeah, I get answers all right....That's because myself, along with a few others won't let you get away with your nonsense.....Your answer above is very telling....
    I have neither the time nor the inclination to play the every sentence game. But I will note the best evidence is not that GW is a scam. That's your political bias guiding you.

    And yes, I'm in education. That doesn't change what has been said by others. And yes, the term anti-worker comes from progressives as the terms leeches comes from conservatives. But the fact remains that policies have favored business for a long time and that your side spends more time demonizing people who work for a living. That's just a fact.

    And there was no strawman. You really do need to learn your fallacies better. Most the regulations by the EPA are anti-pollution and not anti puppies.

    And j, I always answer what you ask, you just can't seem to grasp what is being said, and often misrepresent it. Only you know if you do that on purpose or not.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #1293
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global [W:478]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I have neither the time nor the inclination to play the every sentence game. But I will note the best evidence is not that GW is a scam. That's your political bias guiding you.

    And yes, I'm in education. That doesn't change what has been said by others. And yes, the term anti-worker comes from progressives as the terms leeches comes from conservatives. But the fact remains that policies have favored business for a long time and that your side spends more time demonizing people who work for a living. That's just a fact.

    And there was no strawman. You really do need to learn your fallacies better. Most the regulations by the EPA are anti-pollution and not anti puppies.

    And j, I always answer what you ask, you just can't seem to grasp what is being said, and often misrepresent it. Only you know if you do that on purpose or not.
    Thanks for the predictable cliche response.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #1294
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,219

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    By 'relevant' you mean guys in the earlier part of the century predicting today's record heat?

    The models were right on.
    When the models are 100% right, I think we can entertain their ideas as a theory. Until then, hell no.

  5. #1295
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,589

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Can you explain what you think constitutes a official theory? (Or do I need to type Theory?)


    You should have saved that "Let Me Google That For You" thingy you are so find of posting when asking others to do your research for you.

    This is not top secret stuff.

    Scientific theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Characteristics of theories[edit source | editbeta]

    Essential criteria[edit source | editbeta]
    The defining characteristic of all scientific knowledge, including theories, is the ability to make falsifiable or testable predictions. The relevance and specificity of those predictions determine how potentially useful the theory is. A would-be theory that makes no observable predictions is not a useful theory. Predictions not sufficiently specific to be tested are similarly not useful. In both cases, the term "theory" is hardly applicable.


    A central prediction from a current theory: the general theory of relativity predicts the bending of light in a gravitational field. This prediction was first tested during the solar eclipse of May 1919.[6]
    A body of descriptions of knowledge is usually only called a theory if it has fulfilled these criteria:
    It makes falsifiable predictions with consistent accuracy across a broad area of scientific inquiry (such as mechanics).
    It is well-supported by many independent strands of evidence, rather than a single foundation. This ensures that it is probably a good approximation, if not completely correct.
    It is consistent with pre-existing theories and other experimental results. (Its predictions may differ slightly from pre-existing theories in cases where they are more accurate than before.)
    It can be adapted and modified to account for new evidence as it is discovered, thus increasing its predictive capability over time.
    It is among the most parsimonious explanations, sparing in proposed entities or explanations. (See Occam's razor. Since there is no generally accepted objective definition of parsimony, this is not a strict criterion, but some theories are much less economical than others.)
    The first three criteria are the most important. Theories considered scientific meet at least most of the criteria, but ideally all of them. This is true of such established theories as special and general relativity, quantum mechanics, plate tectonics, evolution, etc.
    Definitions from scientific organizations[edit source | editbeta]
    The United States National Academy of Sciences defines scientific theories as follows:
    The formal scientific definition of theory is quite different from the everyday meaning of the word. It refers to a comprehensive explanation of some aspect of nature that is supported by a vast body of evidence. Many scientific theories are so well established that no new evidence is likely to alter them substantially. For example, no new evidence will demonstrate that the Earth does not orbit around the sun (heliocentric theory), or that living things are not made of cells (cell theory), that matter is not composed of atoms, or that the surface of the Earth is not divided into solid plates that have moved over geological timescales (the theory of plate tectonics)...One of the most useful properties of scientific theories is that they can be used to make predictions about natural events or phenomena that have not yet been observed.[7]
    From the American Association for the Advancement of Science:
    A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment. Such fact-supported theories are not "guesses" but reliable accounts of the real world. The theory of biological evolution is more than "just a theory." It is as factual an explanation of the universe as the atomic theory of matter or the germ theory of disease. Our understanding of gravity is still a work in progress. But the phenomenon of gravity, like evolution, is an accepted fact.[2]
    Note that the term theory would not be appropriate for describing untested but intricate hypotheses or even scientific models.
    I am not of the mind that a man is either of science or of religion. At his best and his worst, man exists in the misty glimmering where the falling angel meets the rising ape. That he chooses a direction from that point defines him as human.

  6. #1296
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global [W:478]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Thanks for the predictable cliche response.
    I'm sorry if its predictable and as you most certainly have heard this before, and have not effectively challenged, there's really little way for it not to be predictable. Once you grasp that it is also accurate, you might not have to be told again.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #1297
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global ...

    Quote Originally Posted by code1211 View Post
    You should have saved that "Let Me Google That For You" thingy you are so find of posting when asking others to do your research for you.

    This is not top secret stuff.

    Scientific theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Characteristics of theories[edit source | editbeta]

    Essential criteria[edit source | editbeta]
    The defining characteristic of all scientific knowledge, including theories, is the ability to make falsifiable or testable predictions. The relevance and specificity of those predictions determine how potentially useful the theory is. A would-be theory that makes no observable predictions is not a useful theory. Predictions not sufficiently specific to be tested are similarly not useful. In both cases, the term "theory" is hardly applicable.


    A central prediction from a current theory: the general theory of relativity predicts the bending of light in a gravitational field. This prediction was first tested during the solar eclipse of May 1919.[6]
    A body of descriptions of knowledge is usually only called a theory if it has fulfilled these criteria:
    It makes falsifiable predictions with consistent accuracy across a broad area of scientific inquiry (such as mechanics).
    It is well-supported by many independent strands of evidence, rather than a single foundation. This ensures that it is probably a good approximation, if not completely correct.
    It is consistent with pre-existing theories and other experimental results. (Its predictions may differ slightly from pre-existing theories in cases where they are more accurate than before.)
    It can be adapted and modified to account for new evidence as it is discovered, thus increasing its predictive capability over time.
    It is among the most parsimonious explanations, sparing in proposed entities or explanations. (See Occam's razor. Since there is no generally accepted objective definition of parsimony, this is not a strict criterion, but some theories are much less economical than others.)
    The first three criteria are the most important. Theories considered scientific meet at least most of the criteria, but ideally all of them. This is true of such established theories as special and general relativity, quantum mechanics, plate tectonics, evolution, etc.
    Definitions from scientific organizations[edit source | editbeta]
    The United States National Academy of Sciences defines scientific theories as follows:
    The formal scientific definition of theory is quite different from the everyday meaning of the word. It refers to a comprehensive explanation of some aspect of nature that is supported by a vast body of evidence. Many scientific theories are so well established that no new evidence is likely to alter them substantially. For example, no new evidence will demonstrate that the Earth does not orbit around the sun (heliocentric theory), or that living things are not made of cells (cell theory), that matter is not composed of atoms, or that the surface of the Earth is not divided into solid plates that have moved over geological timescales (the theory of plate tectonics)...One of the most useful properties of scientific theories is that they can be used to make predictions about natural events or phenomena that have not yet been observed.[7]
    From the American Association for the Advancement of Science:
    A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment. Such fact-supported theories are not "guesses" but reliable accounts of the real world. The theory of biological evolution is more than "just a theory." It is as factual an explanation of the universe as the atomic theory of matter or the germ theory of disease. Our understanding of gravity is still a work in progress. But the phenomenon of gravity, like evolution, is an accepted fact.[2]
    Note that the term theory would not be appropriate for describing untested but intricate hypotheses or even scientific models.
    Which GW theory fits. There is little debate on it outside of political hacks.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #1298
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global [W:478]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I'm sorry if its predictable and as you most certainly have heard this before, and have not effectively challenged, there's really little way for it not to be predictable. Once you grasp that it is also accurate, you might not have to be told again.
    I think you are arguing just to argue at this point. Beyond that, we will not see eye to eye on this, and that IS a fact. So you can either continue to call names, and boost your ego telling yourself that only your opinion matters, or you can look for points of agreement and build from there. Which will it be?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #1299
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global [W:478]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I think you are arguing just to argue at this point. Beyond that, we will not see eye to eye on this, and that IS a fact. So you can either continue to call names, and boost your ego telling yourself that only your opinion matters, or you can look for points of agreement and build from there. Which will it be?
    J, I'm not calling any one any names. It is you, and not me, who always leaves the topic to interject something about me.

    however, I have given you points you could address if you choose to. Or, perhaps a new one:

    Yet this approach can only work if people are prepared to acknowledge that they have a problem. But for those of us who understand that climate change is a problem yet make little effort to cut the number of overseas trips we make or the amount of meat we consume, neither apathy nor denial really explains the dissonance between our actions and beliefs. Lertzman has come to the conclusion that this is not because of apathy a lack of feeling but because of the simple fact that we care an overwhelming amount about both the planet and our way of life, and we find that conflict too painful to bear. Our apparent apathy is just a defense mechanism in the face of this psychic pain.


    Read more: Climate-Change Denialism and the Problems of Psychology | TIME.com

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #1300
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global [W:478]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    J, I'm not calling any one any names. It is you, and not me, who always leaves the topic to interject something about me.

    however, I have given you points you could address if you choose to. Or, perhaps a new one:

    Yet this approach can only work if people are prepared to acknowledge that they have a problem. But for those of us who understand that climate change is a problem yet make little effort to cut the number of overseas trips we make or the amount of meat we consume, neither apathy nor denial really explains the dissonance between our actions and beliefs. Lertzman has come to the conclusion that this is not because of apathy a lack of feeling but because of the simple fact that we care an overwhelming amount about both the planet and our way of life, and we find that conflict too painful to bear. Our apparent apathy is just a defense mechanism in the face of this psychic pain.


    Read more: Climate-Change Denialism and the Problems of Psychology | TIME.com
    "The amount of meat I eat?" Are you serious? But you don't want to control anyone do you?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •