Page 114 of 135 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1347

Thread: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global [W:478]

  1. #1131
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,572

    Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global ...

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    No, the argument has been clear. Regardless of your attempt here to slander, mock, and dismiss that argument only shows that instead of giving a rational argument, you know you have lost, you are resorting to droll tactics of leftist generally seen when they can not win the argument.
    Not really.

    At some point, mocking becomes a totally acceptable response when the opponents basic stance becomes outright ludicrous.

    Love the 'leftist' crack though. It's a scientific issue and somehow you guys come at it from a political viewpoint, although you pretend it's from a scientific one. But sometimes you let your real viewpoint slip out.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  2. #1132
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,572

    Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global ...

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    These 'scientists' have shot their credibility the moment they started to fudge the data to fit their desired outcome.
    And here's the shining example if the ludicrous argument.

    Thirty years and thousands of studies, and you somehow maintain that the 'data is fudged'. It's nonsensical. Paranoid. An impossible conspiracy. It's a fundamental misunderstanding of how science works. It's akin to Creationist arguments.

    It deserves mocking.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  3. #1133
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global [W:478]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    I can understand your viewpoint. But as one who understands the sciences involved, I say they are full of BS.

    I am far from a novice.
    I don't believe you do, and I don't believe you're far from a novice. You've shown no evidence to make me believe that.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #1134
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,572

    Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I don't believe you do, and I don't believe you're far from a novice. You've shown no evidence to make me believe that.
    Dude! He has proven AGW wrong! It was in another thread, but it was simple math and his vast knowledge of heat transfer (which he says Is TOTALLY not understood by ANY climate scientists!!) . But he says he proved it, and the sounded real scientific-like, so you gotta believe it.

    He's a genius, but he just hasn't gotten around to publishing his paper yet.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  5. #1135
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global [W:478]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    These 'scientists' have shot their credibility the moment they started to fudge the data to fit their desired outcome.
    No, they haven't. That too has been shown to YOU to be false. It's that reading selective and often misleading or inaccurate sources that you do that clouds your view.

    Remember that we started here:

    We find such claims to be far wide of the mark. The e-mails (which have been made available by an unidentified individual here) do show a few scientists talking frankly among themselves — sometimes being rude, dismissive, insular, or even behaving like jerks. Whether they show anything beyond that is still in doubt. An investigation is being conducted by East Anglia University, and the head of CRU, Phil Jones, has "stepped aside" until it is completed. However, many of the e-mails that are being held up as "smoking guns" have been misrepresented by global-warming skeptics eager to find evidence of a conspiracy. And even if they showed what the critics claim, there remains ample evidence that the earth is getting warmer.

    “Climategate”

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #1136
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Dude! He has proven AGW wrong! It was in another thread, but it was simple math and his vast knowledge of heat transfer (which he says Is TOTALLY not understood by ANY climate scientists!!) . But he says he proved it, and the sounded real scientific-like, so you gotta believe it.

    He's a genius, but he just hasn't gotten around to publishing his paper yet.
    Not so much.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #1137
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Not really.
    Oh absolutely.

    At some point, mocking becomes a totally acceptable response when the opponents basic stance becomes outright ludicrous.
    I would say that it weakens your stance. It is one thing that we clearly have a strong difference of opinion on the subject at hand, but just because you think that your own opposition to my opinions, or the opinions that disagree with key points of the argument allow for ad hominem attacks, and a move to personal attack rather than the topic of discussion is what is the real joke here.

    Love the 'leftist' crack though.
    "Leftist" is merely a descriptor. I would pose that you already pose your lean here as "Slightly Liberal".... Akin to being 'slightly pregnant' no doubt. Why are you ashamed to embrace your own lean? You sit to the left on the political spectrum, and on this issue further left than others could be, but none the less to the left, so the descriptor of "leftist" stands.

    It's a scientific issue and somehow you guys come at it from a political viewpoint, although you pretend it's from a scientific one.
    Not at all, and you really should go back and re read the thread to see that so far all 3 of us, LoP, code, and myself have repeatedly said that we didn't question that GW exists, or that man has played at least some part in exacerbating the conditions over the time that we have industrialized our existence. But that isn't good enough for you. You, Joe, and others seem to have this need to have those of us that are skeptical of the political ramifications of what AGW proponents plans to mitigate this phenomenon through not a real care of science, but rather a political scheme to redistribute wealth, and control people through governmental control makes it crystal clear which side of the argument is politicizing this, and who is simply asking for the justification for actions proposed.

    And here's the shining example if the ludicrous argument.
    Nothing ludicrous about it. The scientists that were caught, although it is true enough that they don't necessarily represent the entirety of the scientific community, their clear propensity to bully, stifle opposition, limit data in some areas, while at the same time shifting other data at a moment in time when the debate in different governments across the globe was actually at least holding its own in so much as it was being taken seriously, was severely damaged, and AGW proponents would be lucky at the moment to get the people to agree that they should adopt the restrictive, expensive, and unproven methods to deal with the hyper exaggeration of what the possibilities of mans contribution are at present. IOW, those of you whom are out there screaming that something must be done, and we are the problem, have lost credibility.

    Thirty years and thousands of studies, and you somehow maintain that the 'data is fudged'. It's nonsensical. Paranoid. An impossible conspiracy. It's a fundamental misunderstanding of how science works. It's akin to Creationist arguments.
    There are also studies in dissent of the "popular" argument as well. But funny how a double standard of acceptance applies to those isn't it? These studies the AGW side presents are accepted at face value by the AGW proponents, without looking at things like grants, private funding, and political agenda, and are to be somehow taken as pure, and altruistic, while any in dissent of popular belief among AGW proponents must be scrutinized to the last punctuation mark for these very things, and when those fail, the political tactic of Alinsky style mockery, and dismissal are employed.

    It deserves mocking.
    Think of it in general conversation. If we were at a gathering discussing this, and you proceeded to single out, and mock someone to their face, are you more, or less likely to have a civil outcome to your argument? Or, does the person on the receiving end of your vitriolic responses generally think poorly of you and at the very least, cease contact with you?

    So, you are not furthering any understand, or acceptance of your argument, rather the opposite, sowing division, and contempt. I would think that if you are truly concerned about it, you would adopt tactics that win more people to your side of thinking, not push them away with childish tactics, and boorish behavior.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #1138
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global [W:478]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, they haven't. That too has been shown to YOU to be false. It's that reading selective and often misleading or inaccurate sources that you do that clouds your view.

    Remember that we started here:

    We find such claims to be far wide of the mark. The e-mails (which have been made available by an unidentified individual here) do show a few scientists talking frankly among themselves — sometimes being rude, dismissive, insular, or even behaving like jerks. Whether they show anything beyond that is still in doubt. An investigation is being conducted by East Anglia University, and the head of CRU, Phil Jones, has "stepped aside" until it is completed. However, many of the e-mails that are being held up as "smoking guns" have been misrepresented by global-warming skeptics eager to find evidence of a conspiracy. And even if they showed what the critics claim, there remains ample evidence that the earth is getting warmer.

    “Climategate”
    Would you say, "factcheck.org" opinion aside, that actors like Phil Jones helped, or hurt the credibility of the argument on AGW with their actions?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #1139
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global [W:478]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Would you say, "factcheck.org" opinion aside, that actors like Phil Jones helped, or hurt the credibility of the argument on AGW with their actions?
    I would say it doesn't matter. The consensus is so large, no one person, no ten, make it any less than what it is. What you have to combat is the totality of the work. It's overwhelming.

    And that's what hurts your side. You're too willing to accept any minor think and blow it up to more than it is. This suggests a huge emotional commitment to your belief. As we have not done the research ourselves, and frankly lack the ability to do so, the rational thing is to rely on best evidence. Seeking minority views to hang on to a belief system is not rational.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #1140
    Assassin
    Verax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,500

    Re: Report shows UN admitting solar activity may play significant role in global ...

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    And you think that calling people names, and providing a false progressive narrative about them to demean and mock them is going to win your argument among rational people? You do more damage to your cause than good.
    Calling people names? More like assigning an accurate label, its even in the encyclopedias now... I'm sure they're wrong and out to get you too though.

    Climate change denial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Its kind of funny how sensitive you are. Playing the victim card and pretending this is some kind of partisan attack on your humanity.

    Maybe you should call Al Sharpton and claim your civil rights have been violated. Call Fox News and tell them your hot story of an online Progressive Cyber Bully who is terrorizing the poor poor honorable denier.
    Last edited by Verax; 09-03-13 at 11:08 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •