Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 68

Thread: Reports: Ex-SEAL/author fatally shot on gun range

  1. #31
    pawn in the game of life
    pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 05:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,984

    Re: Reports: Ex-SEAL/author fatally shot on gun range

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Although I agree that the story individually is news worthy, think about it, there are 5 separate threads alone on the front page of BN forum related to guns, or violence with guns alone...That is 25% of the front page. All talking about essentially the same thing. Why do you think that is?
    Since Newtown, guns and violence have moved way up the list in this country's consciousness. As for the "25% count" of the BN threads, two of those are "Obama/Skeeter" threads. Which i'd say are appropriately mocking the WH efforts to make Obama out as an empathetic gun shooter.

    If/when the press in general tries to exploit the Kyle tragedy. My reaction/response would be to disapprove heartily.


    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

  2. #32
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Reports: Ex-SEAL/author fatally shot on gun range

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Exactly, thank you.

    PTSD is not all one thing; there are levels and degrees of it, and every sufferer has different symptoms and problems. Many vets and others who have experienced traumatic events have mild PTSD that doesn't interfere so much with their day-to-day functionality, unless something "triggers" it and causes them to struggle with re-living the cause of their trauma.

    I've known a lot of vets, and a lot of them have some degree of PTSD, but not usually to a degree to make them dangerous or someone you worry about.
    I understand all of this, and I totally respect and commend the man's efforts. My point is that someone without professional training should probably avoid making those types of decisions, especially when it puts numerous people in a potentially dangerous situation.

  3. #33
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Reports: Ex-SEAL/author fatally shot on gun range

    Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    Since Newtown, guns and violence have moved way up the list in this country's consciousness. As for the "25% count" of the BN threads, two of those are "Obama/Skeeter" threads. Which i'd say are appropriately mocking the WH efforts to make Obama out as an empathetic gun shooter.

    If/when the press in general tries to exploit the Kyle tragedy. My reaction/response would be to disapprove heartily.
    Well, that's fair...We'll have to wait and see I suppose.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #34
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,923

    Re: Reports: Ex-SEAL/author fatally shot on gun range

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    I understand all of this, and I totally respect and commend the man's efforts. My point is that someone without professional training should probably avoid making those types of decisions, especially when it puts numerous people in a potentially dangerous situation.
    We don't know yet whether Kyle had training or what his foundation's successes were.

  5. #35
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Reports: Ex-SEAL/author fatally shot on gun range

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    We don't know yet whether Kyle had training or what his foundation's successes were.
    well, we know he wasn't a professional in the field. Might he have been qualified enough to deal with this? Sure. But my hunch is that he was a person who's heart was in the right place, but overlooked the seriousness and complexity of what he was getting involved with

  6. #36
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,923

    Re: Reports: Ex-SEAL/author fatally shot on gun range

    I think we should wait for more facts before rushing to judgment.

  7. #37
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Reports: Ex-SEAL/author fatally shot on gun range

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I think we should wait for more facts before rushing to judgment.
    Ok? But I'm giving my general impression of things, not making grand declarations

  8. #38
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Reports: Ex-SEAL/author fatally shot on gun range

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    I understand all of this, and I totally respect and commend the man's efforts. My point is that someone without professional training should probably avoid making those types of decisions, especially when it puts numerous people in a potentially dangerous situation.
    Well - we really don't know what they were doing and under what guidance or suggestions . . . it's not uncommon for friends and family to participate in therapy 'sessions'
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  9. #39
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Reports: Ex-SEAL/author fatally shot on gun range

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Exactly, thank you.

    PTSD is not all one thing; there are levels and degrees of it, and every sufferer has different symptoms and problems. Many vets and others who have experienced traumatic events have mild PTSD that doesn't interfere so much with their day-to-day functionality, unless something "triggers" it and causes them to struggle with re-living the cause of their trauma.

    I've known a lot of vets, and a lot of them have some degree of PTSD, but not usually to a degree to make them dangerous or someone you worry about.
    Yeah- sometimes it affects other things like sleep or intimacy, instead. Or nothing at all until something triggers it - a friend of mine couldn't got to a movie theater to watch violence on the screen. He'd have flashbacks (and we're talking in the 2000's when he fought in Vietnam)
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  10. #40
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Reports: Ex-SEAL/author fatally shot on gun range

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    I understand all of this, and I totally respect and commend the man's efforts. My point is that someone without professional training should probably avoid making those types of decisions, especially when it puts numerous people in a potentially dangerous situation.
    Some of them just are going to be more comfortable with a buddy type discussion than a "Come sit on my couch and tell me about your dreams" type atmosphere.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •