Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 249

Thread: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus[W: 196]

  1. #51
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    You miss the point like the other ranters. All they had to do was comply with the rules. Other clubs seem to find it easy. They elect the leaders they want, while nominally making the positions open to all.
    The idea that a non-Christian would join a Christian club, suffer attending all their meetings, and encourage sufficient friends to join in order to win election to the leadership is ludicrous and more than a little paranoid. Even then, why would they want to do that? It's no more than yet another "Christians under attack" dogwhistle.
    I took a look at UofM's website and discovered that there are already 20 Christian clubs registered and willing to sign up to the rules, as are 2 Jewish, 1 Hindu and 1 Moslem clubs. I suspect this matter concerns a fringe group of fundies who wanted to make themselves into martyrs for the extremist cause. Unsurprising Fox wanted to grant them their wish.

    I also noticed that the Intervarsity Christian Fellowship, the one behind the story, is also listed. Hmmm. Clearly they haven't been banned.
    Last edited by Andalublue; 02-01-13 at 10:46 AM.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Did it ever occur to you that the schools policies may be bias?

    Oh no of course you didn't.
    How is having the ability for everyone to hold a position in club a "bias"?

  3. #53
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    No the school is just being biased about their club.
    No, they are uniformly applying the rules in a one-size-fits-all fashion. That's the opposite of bias.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    No the school is just being biased about their club.
    No, the schools policy applies to ALL clubs. There is no bias here.

  5. #55
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Why do people seem to feel the need to add some victim mentality bull**** to this story in order to disagree with the policy? Seriously.

    I disagree with the policy as I think that these clubs should be allowed to have a requirement that their leaders share the ideological perspective of the club. There should be exceptions made when the discrimination is in place to assure ideological consistency between the leadership of the organization and the organization itself. But if there are no exceptions, nobody is being "persecuted" by it.

    Pretending that they are being persecuted is the kind of emotionally laden hyperbole that undermines addressing the real issue here, which is that there should be some degree of common sense in the rules which allows for reasonable exceptions to be made.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Why do Christians think they should be exempt from whatever rules they dislike?

    If they don't like the university's requirements to be an officially-recognized club, they should just not bother with that university recognition part and go do their own thing. You know, that whole individual responsibility thing instead of depending on big scary government to promote their group for them. Right?

    If my religion requires goat sacrifice, I shouldn't expect that the university would let me do it on campus with official recognition just because it's my religion.

    Or they could do what Zyphlin said. Remove the requirement and just vote for Christian leaders. It's not like an atheist was ever going to take that spot.
    I agree with you, however I don't like the fact the university is picking and choosing, especially when progressives get on their soap box and scream tolerance.

    Personally I would have absolutely no desire to have a campus club, however this is just another case of elitist progressive moonbats being hypocrites - that's what bothers me. The simple fact people don't see this also bothers me.

  7. #57
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,132

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I agree with you, however I don't like the fact the university is picking and choosing, especially when progressives get on their soap box and scream tolerance.

    Personally I would have absolutely no desire to have a campus club, however this is just another case of elitist progressive moonbats being hypocrites - that's what bothers me. The simple fact people don't see this also bothers me.
    no. this is another example where a Christian organization wants to pretend it is being treated differently only because it is not being treated differently
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  8. #58
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,966

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Did it ever occur to you that the schools policies may be bias?
    Sure, it's possible but unlikely based on the policy as it was shown in the various stories. However ZERO evidence of that has been provided what so ever so it's a baseless assumption. What has been evidenced though is that the school actually actively attempted to give them a clear way they could still remain an official club and still, in basically an unofficial sense, limit their leadership to Christians so I'm hard press to make such assumption as that's actually evidence to the contrary in my mind.

    I like how you basically completely and utterly ignored the fact you massively failed to understand the significant of an officially sanctioned school club as opposed to just a generalized "club" as in group of people.

    Please...do you have any evidence, proof, or actual argument what so ever to suggest that the schools policy is biased?

  9. #59
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I agree with you, however I don't like the fact the university is picking and choosing....
    Is that actually a fact here? It seems that they apply the same rule to every club. How is that picking and choosing?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    How is having the ability for everyone to hold a position in club a "bias"?
    Who the **** joins a christian club when they're not christian? Why the **** would anyone do that?

    If you're not aware that is a basic Marxist tactic...

    My answer to you is I suppose being a member of a christian club would require a prerequisite that an individual is CHRISTIAN!

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •