Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 249

Thread: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus[W: 196]

  1. #31
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,963

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Too bad the university can't practice its own policy, and discriminates against an Asian Christian club.....the racist Christian-phobic hypocrites. I think that they should write their representatives and find out how much tax money the university is getting, and work on killing that. They should contact the ACLU.
    How is it "discriminating against an Asian Christian Club"?

  2. #32
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,963

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    This is a club, no endorsement needed.
    Actually, for it to be an official CAMPUS club it would need CAMPUS endorsement. The campus can't say jack **** if they want to form a non-campus club and get together and do whatever they want. Hell, I was involved with a group that was an off-campus organization for almost 7 of my 10 semesters at college. Nothing is stopping htem what so ever to being a non-campus affiliated club.

    However that's not what they were trying to be. They were a club that wanted ENDORSEMENT by the University. In having such endorsement, it would allow them additional privledges and abilities within the university such as greater ability to reserve rooms, potentially office space, advertising in an official capacity, etc. You're literally ranting and raving about a situation that is in no way, shape, or form representitive of the reality of THIS actual situation.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Who said Christians can't have a club?

    Can you provide factual information that there's a Muslim club on that campus that requires that it's leadership be muslim?

    Can you provide factual information that there's a gay club on the campus that requires that it's leadership be gay?

    Can you provide factual information that there's a latino club on campus that requires that it's leadership be latino?

    Can you provide factual information that there's a black club on campus that requires that it's leadership be black?

    Did you know that "traditionally black fraternities" like Omega Psi Phi (You may have seen individuals with an "Omega" symbol branded onto them, they were likely brothers of that fraternity) don't, and can't, have a requirement that their fraternity or their campus leadership must be black?

    While I think the reaction by the school was worthy of an eye roll and a rather ridiculous instance of letting slavish adherance to the rules overcome a bit of common sense, that doesn't change the fact that the situations you're seemingly describing aren't accurate. It wasn't that "christians can't have a club" while others can, it's that the Christians can't make their clubs leadership limited by religion. If you can show that another club has a limitation based on sex, religion, race, etc on that campus then perhaps you'd have a point. Otherwise, you're ranting and raving about nonsense and a situation that exists only in your head.
    Edit..

    Sorry I replied to the wrong post.. However I will add my 2cents on what you say.

    Clubs can do whatever they like, that's why they're clubs. To be part of a club you have to be invited or accepted via application.

    For example I'm part of a lake resort club, we have a clubhouse which is pretty much a fully stocked bar - it was a public bar at one time. Now, in Illinois smoking in bars is illegal, however we're exempt from that because that is NOT a bar - its a club... Now what the hell would the point be to have a club if someone can just nose their way in and dictate what the hell that club does or doesn't do??? It kinda defeats the purpose no?
    Last edited by Mr.Nick; 02-01-13 at 10:20 AM.

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    04-03-13 @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    458

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by HonestJoe View Post
    If you read the actual article being discussed, you'd know that already.
    My point (made humorously) was that the qualification is ridiculous because there's no standard of proof. No one can prove what's in your heart re: your spirituality.

    How many Christians do we see every day that act anything but?

    Even though there's no way to prove what your true intentions/beliefs are, the University is still wrong to kick them off IMO.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,785

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    That is one of the dumbest arguments I have ever heard.

    You may as well argue that it's unfair that a democrat isn't head of the RNC or that a white person isn't head of the NAACP or that a man isn't head of a feminist organization...

    Why the hell would someone want to join a club in which principals they don't believe in? of course those who like to argue and step over the line just to make trouble while people like you sit there and defend the idiocy...

    or, in other words, "I got nothin' but no way, no how, am I gonna admit that I might be wrong!"
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Actually, for it to be an official CAMPUS club it would need CAMPUS endorsement. The campus can't say jack **** if they want to form a non-campus club and get together and do whatever they want. Hell, I was involved with a group that was an off-campus organization for almost 7 of my 10 semesters at college. Nothing is stopping htem what so ever to being a non-campus affiliated club.

    However that's not what they were trying to be. They were a club that wanted ENDORSEMENT by the University. In having such endorsement, it would allow them additional privledges and abilities within the university such as greater ability to reserve rooms, potentially office space, advertising in an official capacity, etc. You're literally ranting and raving about a situation that is in no way, shape, or form representitive of the reality of THIS actual situation.
    I don't care to argue, however I will say that the simple fact this debate even exists is because progressives are biased mother****ers...

    They should have every right to have their club. This club should sue for discrimination.

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    or, in other words, "I got nothin' but no way, no how, am I gonna admit that I might be wrong!"
    I'm not wrong - I am never wrong. Those siding with authority are always wrong.

    Telling people they cant have a club is wrong... What the **** are they doing that is so ****ing bad they shouldn't have a club? oh yeah progressives hate God because they believe they're God or Gods or that the government is God. Or they just hate Christianity entirely..

    Why do you defend such biased bull**** while pretending to promote equality?

    You're so full of yourself it's pathetic.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Clubs can do whatever they like, that's why they're clubs. To be part of a club you have to be invited or accepted via application.
    Yes, they can do whatever they like, IF they don't want to be an OFFICIAL CAMPUS club that is SUPPORTED by the campus.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    For example I'm part of a lake resort club, we have a clubhouse which is pretty much a fully stocked bar - it was a public bar at one time. Now, in Illinois smoking in bars is illegal, however we're exempt from that because that is NOT a bar - its a club... Now what the hell would the point be to have a club if someone can just nose their way in and dictate what the hell that club does or doesn't do??? It kinda defeats the purpose no?
    And if your club wanted to be supported by some organization, you would have to abided by whatever rules that organization wanted if you wanted their support. You would then have to choose to either abide by their rules to keep their support or you would do what you like without their support.

    Now this club is free to do whatever they like, they just won't get campus support.

  9. #39
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,785

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I don't care to argue, however I will say that the simple fact this debate even exists is because progressives are biased mother****ers...

    They should have every right to have their club. This club should sue for discrimination.
    Hilarity ensues!


    All too common in our world today - claims of discrimination when those who consider themselves special aren't allowed to ignore the rules the rest of us have to follow.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Telling people they cant have a club is wrong...
    They aren't telling them they can't have a club, they are saying the campus won't support it and it won't be an official club. Sorry, but if they don't like it, they are free to have their club without campus support.

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •