Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 249

Thread: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus[W: 196]

  1. #231
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,227

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
    You see nothing wrong with requiring adherence to Muslim principals? How is that in compliance with their religious discrimination policy?
    Presumably, if you as a non-Muslim were a member of the group, and were elected as a representative of that group, then you would have an understanding of the relevant principles.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  2. #232
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    04-10-13 @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    522

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    Presumably, if you as a non-Muslim were a member of the group, and were elected as a representative of that group, then you would have an understanding of the relevant principles.
    Could you clarify? I honestly have no idea what you mean by that.

  3. #233
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,227

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    What do you find objectionable about a member of a Muslim group adhering to Muslim principles when they represent it?
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  4. #234
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    04-10-13 @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    522

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    What do you find objectionable about a member of a Muslim group adhering to Muslim principles when they represent it?
    I find nothing wrong with that. However it is a clear violation of the university's policy. They are requiring people to adhere to religious principals or face removal. By the logic used in the OP, that should be completely off limits.

  5. #235
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Now people are delving into the absurd.

    The university is now demanding or requiring that a Christian club appoint a dissenter to a leadership position. Why does this seem to be so difficult for some to comprehend.

    The university simply says a club cannot have a rule which bars any person from running for office in the organisation. Do you honestly think that a club of fundamentalist evangelicals would choose an outspoken atheist as one of their leaders?

    In short, those objecting to the University's policies regarding "Registered Student Organisations" are simply refusing to look at the facts - and I call that "being stupid"
    What is conceivable, and not that unlikely, is that an anti-Christian group can overrun the Club and elect their own non-Christian leaders, thereby destroying the organization. Of course this could happen to Muslims or Jews as well but, these days, all religions get more sympathy than Christians. And of course the Muslims, especially, are far more militant. They don't turn the other cheek quite so easily.

  6. #236
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,831

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Now people are delving into the absurd.

    The university is now demanding or requiring that a Christian club appoint a dissenter to a leadership position. Why does this seem to be so difficult for some to comprehend.

    The university simply says a club cannot have a rule which bars any person from running for office in the organisation. Do you honestly think that a club of fundamentalist evangelicals would choose an outspoken atheist as one of their leaders?

    In short, those objecting to the University's policies regarding "Registered Student Organisations" are simply refusing to look at the facts - and I call that "being stupid"

    Big booboo in this post, surprised nobody has thrown it at me

    "The university is now demanding or requiring that a Christian club appoint a dissenter to a leadership position." That NOW was supposed to be NOT
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  7. #237
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    04-10-13 @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    522

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Big booboo in this post, surprised nobody has thrown it at me

    "The university is now demanding or requiring that a Christian club appoint a dissenter to a leadership position." That NOW was supposed to be NOT
    They are saying that anyone can run for and hold office, regardless of religious beliefs. The same university approved a constitution that allows their Muslim Student Association to remove people they deem "unfit to serve as a leader of the local Muslim Community and/or representing the MSA in a fashion that conflicts with Muslim Principles".

    The Christian group can't require someone to affirm their faith because of a nondiscrimination policy. However, the Muslim group is allowed to remove people who don't follow the religion. That seems a tad hypocritical.

  8. #238
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
    They are saying that anyone can run for and hold office, regardless of religious beliefs. The same university approved a constitution that allows their Muslim Student Association to remove people they deem "unfit to serve as a leader of the local Muslim Community and/or representing the MSA in a fashion that conflicts with Muslim Principles".

    The Christian group can't require someone to affirm their faith because of a nondiscrimination policy. However, the Muslim group is allowed to remove people who don't follow the religion. That seems a tad hypocritical.
    Proof please. The MSA has apparently signed up to the rules that the one Christian group refuses to do.

    What is also unclear from your post is, from what positions have people been removed?

    And further, do you have any evidence that the Christian group wouldn't be allowed to do the same, provided they sign up to the non-discrimination clause?

    Despite Nick's misinformation, no one is saying that the membership has to vote anyone they don't want to the leadership of their club, nor that they don't have the right to remove anyone that 'they deem "unfit to serve as a leader of the local Christian Community and/or representing the club in a fashion that conflicts with Christian Principles" '?
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  9. #239
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    I don't like this, but I expect this. U of M is one of the more liberal universities not located in California or the Atlantic Northeast. I was in the Young Republicans Club and we were constantly browbeat by the Young Democrats Club which had 10x the members and 100x the funds.

    Status quo.

  10. #240
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    04-10-13 @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    522

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    Proof please. The MSA has apparently signed up to the rules that the one Christian group refuses to do.

    What is also unclear from your post is, from what positions have people been removed?

    And further, do you have any evidence that the Christian group wouldn't be allowed to do the same, provided they sign up to the non-discrimination clause?

    Despite Nick's misinformation, no one is saying that the membership has to vote anyone they don't want to the leadership of their club, nor that they don't have the right to remove anyone that 'they deem "unfit to serve as a leader of the local Christian Community and/or representing the club in a fashion that conflicts with Christian Principles" '?
    I never claimed someone was removed from a position, I just showed that the university approved a constitution that allows that to happen.

    The point is not whether or not the Christian group could have the same clause. It is that allowing removal solely due to religious beliefs or actions is akin to requiring the same to join or run for office.

    Essentially, the university is saying you cannot be denied a chance to run for or hold the office for religious reasons, but you can be removed for religious reasons. It is a logical fallacy
    Last edited by Pilot; 02-03-13 at 12:58 PM.

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •