Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 249

Thread: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus[W: 196]

  1. #111
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,143

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    I still think it is heavy-handed to end a club just because they would not make a cosmetic change to a written document--to me that is even more absurd. It would be like saying "Hey, it's ok if you discriminate just so we can tell people looking at our school that we don't". It is PC taken to an Orwellian level to me.
    an admitted COSMETIC change to the bylaws
    something the club refused to do, despite such cosmetic change would have absolutely NO impact on the clubs operations
    a cosmetic change, needed so that a publicly funded university could comply with the federal non-discrimination regulations that would bar such federal funding if discrimination was officially tolerated
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  2. #112
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Oh, fun note about the Club that Mr. Nick linked to. The website has the Clubs constitution...you konw, it's written down laws. You can find it HERE

    Looky here:



    You can also see under Operations their procedures for being elected to the executive board. You will note that there is no requirement what so ever in terms of being a Muslim or signing a statement of faith regarding Islam.
    It would have been nice to see the by-laws of this club. I'm thinking they are the Chinese club whose page is offline.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Irony.



    Not just one, either. But don't read too much into my lean. It doesn't mean what you think it does.



    That is an obvious strawman, which is part of the reason why your previous question of "Do you know the definition of logic" is so incredibly ironic. Hilariously so.




    Pretending to be a victim because of a conscious decision to flaunt the rules in an utterly meaningless way for no other purpose than to feign victimhood and **** upon the very conservative concept of taking personal responsibility for one's choices in response ot the other stupid ****. That's the "next" thing which shows how incredibly ****ing stupid society has become. It's going on right now, though.

    Hopefully the next step will be society smartening the **** up and rectifying both types of astounding stupidity, but the cynical part of me doesn't see that happening.
    I'm not a victim of anything, I'm just perplexed by the notion that some think its wrong that being a Christian shouldn't be a prerequisite to joining a Christian club.

    I don't care either way, however your mind boggles my mind.

    The notion a Christian club must have non-Christian leadership is probably about one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.... It's like arguing someone can eat their own head.

  4. #114
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    It would have been nice to see the by-laws of this club. I'm thinking they are the Chinese club whose page is offline.
    You mean the club in question that was being removed? It wasn't the Chinese Club. It was the Intervarsity Christian Fellowship. It's still listed on the CLUB page for U of M. I can't get to their site due to web filter blocks currently, but you can try and take a peek.

  5. #115
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Guess what they're discriminating against me.... I don't live in the Ann Arbor vicinity and I'm not a student there...
    All university approved clubs can discriminate based on those reasons. It's equal treatment
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #116
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by HonestJoe View Post
    A Christian group can require it's leaders to be anything they want. They just can't be affiliated with and supported by the University if their structures are in conflict with the Universities rules. Again, University organisations are meant to bring students together, not divide them.
    Bring them together into what? Do they want to be brought together? Are they in training to be sheep?

    So the University is all for diversity as long as the students are 'brought together'. When political correctness becomes policy, the contradictions become ever creepier.

  7. #117
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    an admitted COSMETIC change to the bylaws
    something the club refused to do, despite such cosmetic change would have absolutely NO impact on the clubs operations
    a cosmetic change, needed so that a publicly funded university could comply with the federal non-discrimination regulations that would bar such federal funding if discrimination was officially tolerated
    If you are willing to give into absurdity, then that is your right. They were not, and that was their right. I am sorry, but I do not believe that the federal government would actually abandon UM because of a Christian Club not changing their paperwork; telling the club that it is okay if that they discriminate just so long as it does not theoretically appear as if they do is a far more egregious violation of the absurd rules than the club's refusal to participate in the charade. Nothing will change either of our positions.

  8. #118
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,143

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I'm not a victim of anything, I'm just perplexed by the notion that some think its wrong that being a Christian shouldn't be a prerequisite to joining a Christian club.

    I don't care either way, however your mind boggles my mind.
    i noticed
    your 22 posts out of 116 total convince us that you don't care about this topic

    The notion a Christian club must have non-Christian leadership is probably about one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.... It's like arguing someone can eat their own head.
    your comprehension needs to be re-calibrated
    there is NOTHING which requires "a Christian club must have non-Christian leadership"
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  9. #119
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I'm not a victim of anything
    You've been claiming that this group is being victimized.

    I'm just perplexed by the notion that some think its wrong that being a Christian shouldn't be a prerequisite to joining a Christian club.
    Nobody ever made any such claim, nor has anyone implied that they have any such notions. That's entirely a product of your own imagination.

    People have said that being a Christian should not be a prerequisite to joining any University Endorsed Club, even if that club happens to be a Christian one. In fact, it's even more general than that. People are saying that no characteristics related to age, gender, religion, creed, sexual orientation etc. should be a prerequisite for joining ANY University Endorsed club.

    That's vastly different than what you have imagined to be the case.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club off Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    All university approved clubs can discriminate based on those reasons. It's equal treatment
    In my ideal national view I would certainly support that and do - however the logistics just don't work that way.

    What I see are a bunch of idiot wanna be progressive collectivists singling out a christian group just because they hate them while using illogical ideals to boot them.

    You still don't get it do you?

    They hate everyone who doesn't give Marx's corpse a BJ or who isn't "diverse" enough to their liking.

    This is why we have illogical retards seriously believing that a non-Christian should in some universe should have a leadership role in a Christian club.

    Do you have any comprehension of how Goddamn stupid that is?

    You may as well agree that a steel fabricator should be a banker next - just because.

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •