Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 490

Thread: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

  1. #1
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    35,427

    Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Former congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, D-Ariz., who was shot in the head more than two years ago during a mass shooting in a Tucson parking lot, opened the Senate Judiciary Committee's hearing Wednesday with a call to action on gun violence.

    "Speaking is difficult but I need to say something important," she said in a slow, deliberate voice to the dais of senators. "Violence is a big problem, too many children are dying, too many children. We must do something.
    "Americans are counting on you," she said.
    - Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    As I was reading the article I came across a perfect example of what I feel the problem is with the "gun restriction" crowed...

    Giffords husband astronaut Mark Kelly, added this statement paraphrased...

    "Called for legislators to close the loophole that allows private sellers to sell their guns without background checks, strengthen gun trafficking penalties for trafficking, and eliminate limitations on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to study gun violence.

    He also called for "a careful and civil conversation about the lethality of the firearms we permit to be legally bought and sold.
    "

    What does the center for disease control have to do with gun crime? This should worry people as they are trying to use a completely unrelated government body to manufacture, yes manufacture another reason to strip our 2nd amendment rights.

    The last highlighted statement is just beyond stupid as far as I am concerned. If I am at the point where I am actually aiming a weapon at someone in defense of my life, loved ones or even property I want it to be as lethal as possible if it has come to that point. So only police and government should have "lethal" firearms?

    This whole gun restriction mess is getting out of hand.


    Last edited by Black Dog; 01-30-13 at 03:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #2
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    02-08-13 @ 09:14 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    843

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    What does the center for disease control have to do with gun crime?
    The mandate of the CDC, founded under the Public Health Service Act, is for general public health. This includes studying injury and safety concerns.

  3. #3
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    35,427

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
    The CDC’s mandate is with public health. This includes studying injury and safety concerns.
    It's a high velocity bullet. What needs to be studied? It makes you dead or seriously wounded. I don't need the government to spend money to tell me this. Why does the government want to waist time and money? Because they want to use it as an excuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #4
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,782

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    Former congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, D-Ariz., who was shot in the head more than two years ago during a mass shooting in a Tucson parking lot, opened the Senate Judiciary Committee's hearing Wednesday with a call to action on gun violence.

    "Speaking is difficult but I need to say something important," she said in a slow, deliberate voice to the dais of senators. "Violence is a big problem, too many children are dying, too many children. We must do something.
    "Americans are counting on you," she said.
    - Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    As I was reading the article I came across a perfect example of what I feel the problem is with the "gun restriction" crowed...

    Giffords husband astronaut Mark Kelly, added this statement paraphrased...

    "Called for legislators to close the loophole that allows private sellers to sell their guns without background checks, strengthen gun trafficking penalties for trafficking, and eliminate limitations on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to study gun violence.

    He also called for "a careful and civil conversation about the lethality of the firearms we permit to be legally bought and sold.
    "

    What does the center for disease control have to do with gun crime? This should worry people as they are trying to use a completely unrelated government body to manufacture, yes manufacture another reason to strip our 2nd amendment rights.

    The last highlighted statement is just beyond stupid as far as i am concerned. If I am at the point where I am actually aiming a weapon at someone in defense of my life, loved ones or even property I want it to be as lethal as possible if it has come to that point. So only police and government should have "lethal" firearms?

    This whole gun restriction mess is getting out of hand.



    The anti-2nd amendment loons probably figure that if the CDC is involved that will give them more leverage in ****ting on the 2nd amendment.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  5. #5
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    35,427

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    The anti-2nd amendment loons probably figure that if the CDC is involved that will give them more leverage in ****ting on the 2nd amendment.
    Yes that is my fear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #6
    Sometimes wrong
    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    39,860

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    The "lethality" of her shooter's gun was obviously subpar, since she lived. Only a moron would think that the 2A should be limitted based on the potential "lethality" of the gun. We are in liberal land, where the guns that are "lethal" should be banned, the other guns are just fine. We need the CDC to study this "lethality" issue to determine which guns are which.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  7. #7
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    17,408

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The "lethality" of her shooter's gun was obviously subpar, since she lived. Only a moron would think that the 2A should be limitted based on the potential "lethality" of the gun. We are in liberal land, where the guns that are "lethal" should be banned, the other guns are just fine. We need the CDC to study this "lethality" issue to determine which guns are which.
    It is not the lethality of guns that is a problem, it is how many guns there are. The estimated total number of guns held by civilians in the United States is 270,000,000, according to information from here:

    Guns in the United States: Facts, Figures and Firearm Law

  8. #8
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    02-08-13 @ 09:14 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    843

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    It's a high velocity bullet. What needs to be studied?
    How often under what circumstances it goes through people, so as how to minimize how often it happens [in an undesired way].

  9. #9
    Sometimes wrong
    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    39,860

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Can Giffords please explain her own state's "lax" gun laws having a violent crime rate ranked 18th and Illinois ranked at 11th with some of the nation's strictest gun laws? What matters is not gun control but criminal control.

    States' crime rates show scant linkage to gun laws - Washington Times

    FBI Violent Crime Stats--Gun Ownership Up/Crime Rates Drop - Handguns
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #10
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    57,932

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    It is not the lethality of guns that is a problem, it is how many guns there are. The estimated total number of guns held by civilians in the United States is 270,000,000, according to information from here:

    Guns in the United States: Facts, Figures and Firearm Law
    Those are 'legal' guns and guns you have nothing to fear from. What you have to be concerned about is the number of guns in the hands of criminals and the lack of severe sentencing for criminals and you would have to be foolish or braindead to think that people that have no problem gaining access to cocaine, heroin, marijuana and other forms of illegal drugs would be stunted in their pursuit of illegal firearms from the same means.

Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •