Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 490

Thread: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

  1. #81
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I don't think that is what he is saying. If there is some sound prevention, it might not be a bad idea to try and identify such measures.
    key word being "sound"...there's a whole lot to that little word.

  2. #82
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    that's the problem
    they are filled with NON-violent 'offenders'
    which is a funny comment coming from a guy who supports turning millions of gun owners into non violent offenders



  3. #83
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    which is a funny comment coming from a guy who supports turning millions of gun owners into non violent offenders

    exactly....

  4. #84
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    exactly....
    I am sure you have seen this and its so true concerning the idiocy of the anti gun left


    3qfad5.jpg



  5. #85
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    key word being "sound"...there's a whole lot to that little word.
    That's true, but it is the real question.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    02-04-13 @ 12:21 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    198

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Oh don't be silly. SOmeone who doesn't mind murdering a federal judge and a bunch of innocent bystanders and crippling a beautiful and smart well liked congresslady is going to obey gun laws if they just would pass a few more
    A proper NICS system, which included mental health records, would have prevented Laughner from buying his handguns.

  7. #87
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Spring99 View Post
    A proper NICS system, which included mental health records, would have prevented Laughner from buying his handguns.
    Maybe so-but it wasn't the NRA or GOA that prevented that sort of information from being in NICS in Arizona or Virginia.

    Of course, unless he was detained after being denied by NICS we have no idea if he would have actually been prevented from his murderous rampage

    now me, I wouldn't mind if he was publicly broken on the wheel on prime time tv. He didn't have the decency to shoot himself and hopefully he will get DEATH BY BONGO!!



  8. #88
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,587

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Can Giffords please explain her own state's "lax" gun laws having a violent crime rate ranked 18th and Illinois ranked at 11th with some of the nation's strictest gun laws? What matters is not gun control but criminal control.

    States' crime rates show scant linkage to gun laws - Washington Times

    FBI Violent Crime Stats--Gun Ownership Up/Crime Rates Drop - Handguns
    Criminals are getting guns, and they're not guns that are manufactured in people's basements. So clearly it's a problem that guns purchased and owned legally are winding up being used to slaughter innocent people. The articles you're talking about are virtually meaningless because they're all studying correlation and that doesn't prove causation. Besides, there are a number of laws regarding gun ownership and registration and "lax" is a subjective term.

    What gun did Adam Lanza use to kill all those children? Where did it come from? Are situations like Newtown preventable? My opinion is that they are not, but if we put limitations on what kind of guns were legal to purchase, there could very well be 5-10 children still alive who died that day. We can't prevent tragedies but we can minimize them.
    A working class hero is something to be

  9. #89
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Spring99 View Post
    A proper NICS system, which included mental health records, would have prevented Laughner from buying his handguns.
    like it stops heroin users from buying heroin? Coke users from scorin that rock? Pot smokers from buying a lid?

    You just say **** without really thinking about it, dont you?

  10. #90
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    Criminals are getting guns, and they're not guns that are manufactured in people's basements. So clearly it's a problem that guns purchased and owned legally are winding up being used to slaughter innocent people. The articles you're talking about are virtually meaningless because they're all studying correlation and that doesn't prove causation. Besides, there are a number of laws regarding gun ownership and registration and "lax" is a subjective term.

    What gun did Adam Lanza use to kill all those children? Where did it come from? Are situations like Newtown preventable? My opinion is that they are not, but if we put limitations on what kind of guns were legal to purchase, there could very well be 5-10 children still alive who died that day. We can't prevent tragedies but we can minimize them.
    Really? Read much about the VA Tech shootings? Kip Kinkel? Columbine? You think ANY shooter walking around unhindered for 10 minutes would kill fewer people with a handgun or shotgun then an AR? Cuz...the facts...they kinda disprove that.

    (for good measure, lets throw James Holmes and the Aurora shooting into that equation as well. He proved pretty clearly that after his AR jammed less than a third of the way into a magazine that his handgun made a more than adequate suitable substitute. Of course...that doesnt fit the 'assault weapon' rhetoric...so lets not talk about 'facts')

Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •