Page 42 of 49 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 490

Thread: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

  1. #411
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,580

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Spring99 View Post
    So after someone is convicted of a felony, they will have to renew their DL so that it says "no gun" on it?
    Yep. Upon felony conviction (at least one year sentence), being adjudged legally insane or having been served with a judge's restraining order (domestic abuse) that would trigger a mandatory surrender of your "GUN OK" ID and cause the NICS database to be updated, preventing its re-issue as "GUN OK". This is often now done for a DWI/DUI arrest. Even if you turn 18 you may want to renew it, or if you change your address and of course before it expires.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #412
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    02-04-13 @ 12:21 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    198

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Yep. Upon felony conviction (at least one year sentence), being adjudged legally insane or having been served with a judge's restraining order (domestic abuse) that would trigger a mandatory surrender of your "GUN OK" ID and cause the NICS database to be updated, preventing its re-issue as "GUN OK". This is often now done for a DWI/DUI arrest. Even if you turn 18 you may want to renew it, or if you change your address and of course before it expires.
    Yes, adding "gun ok" info to one's DL data strip, would make things more convenient.

    However, I think gun extremists would oppose this, simply because it would stand in the way of criminals being able to buy guns.

    Only two groups of people would be seriously affected by Universal Background checks: criminals and the seriously mentally impaired. These are the folks pushing for no new gun laws.

  3. #413
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I said proof. Not blogs. The only proof that you can bring is court cases since you are claiming that the courts ruled that the 2nd only applied to militias. Try again.
    Decided to ignore the question huh Catawaba?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  4. #414
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Spring99 View Post
    Yes, adding "gun ok" info to one's DL data strip, would make things more convenient.

    However, I think gun extremists would oppose this, simply because it would stand in the way of criminals being able to buy guns.

    Only two groups of people would be seriously affected by Universal Background checks: criminals and the seriously mentally impaired. These are the folks pushing for no new gun laws.
    Have you ever heard of the words "black market"? Most criminals do not go to your local gunstore to buy guns.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #415
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    By your logic, murder shouldn't be illegal because criminals still murder people.

    The purpose of the magazine limitation is to reduce the number of people being killed in mass murders in the US. Are you aware there were a record number last year?
    No, the laws are meant to punish the murderers and separate them from society. Laws do NOT prevent crime. Laws are for after you get caught for punishment purposes. Therefore, your little laws and limitations on OUR second amendment rights are NOT going to prevent any criminals from murdering anyone.

  6. #416
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    The current gun laws are unenforcable because the organization in charge of enforcing gun laws, the bureau of alcohol, tobacco and firearms, has been gutted and rendered ineffective because of spending cuts imposed on it by conservatives who believe the organization serves no purpose.
    You can't just make claims like that without backing them up with a link. Well, you can, but they don't mean anything to anyone. You could be any internet bozo making up any claims you want for all I know.

    Also, what makes you people think that the republicans are in charge of everything? Isn't Congress made up of both republicans and democrats? Both are probably responsible, but I know you partisans are blind to that fact.

  7. #417
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,582

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    You are wrong. Rights, at the time they were established, were thought to be granted by God. This was to prevent tyranny. God-given rights, not man-given rights. In this way, MEN (such as those who run our government) were not supposed to be able to infringe upon those God-given rights. That is the concept.
    So then all drugs should be legal, as should pedophilia. What right have we to judge what God would want? We should have no laws, because if you do something wrong, God will give you pestilence or plague, or you can go by the bible and kill your neighbor's oxen. And it's weird that God didn't want women to vote or black people to be free. Unless you're mormon and then you believe that God changed his mind about black people. In which case I can't argue with that!
    A working class hero is something to be

  8. #418
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Decided to ignore the question huh Catawaba?

    I don't make a habit of responding to irrelevant comments. I find their irrelevancy stands on its own!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #419
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    No, the laws are meant to punish the murderers and separate them from society. Laws do NOT prevent crime. Laws are for after you get caught for punishment purposes. Therefore, your little laws and limitations on OUR second amendment rights are NOT going to prevent any criminals from murdering anyone.
    Federal law requiring background checks by licensed dealers have been in effect since 1994, would you please cite the case when it was found to be in violation of the 2nd?

    Thanks!
    Last edited by Catawba; 02-01-13 at 08:01 PM.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #420
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    So then all drugs should be legal, as should pedophilia. What right have we to judge what God would want? We should have no laws, because if you do something wrong, God will give you pestilence or plague, or you can go by the bible and kill your neighbor's oxen. And it's weird that God didn't want women to vote or black people to be free. Unless you're mormon and then you believe that God changed his mind about black people. In which case I can't argue with that!
    Let's not go off on a tangent now. Focus. You have not legitimately addressed anything in my post. Drugs, pedophilia, etc. are not rights, are they? God never said women couldn't vote. That was men. You see how that works?

Page 42 of 49 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •