Page 39 of 49 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 490

Thread: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

  1. #381
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,669

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you will never get catawba to proffer a rational argument why 10 rounds is the magic number

    clearly anything civilian police use is an objective standard

    ten rounds is something a bunch of assholes in politics pulled out of their asses. There were no studies, no data no nothing supporting that line
    Actually Catawba is one of the more reasonable gun control advocates and will discuss things, propose solutions and even supply facts to back up his positions - unlike our horse food sales place extremist.

    He has not argued the 10 rounds is the correct limit, but simply that a limit may be imposed.
    Last edited by ttwtt78640; 02-01-13 at 05:11 PM.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #382
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,758

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Actually catawba is one of the more reasonable gun control advocates and will discuss things, propose solutions and even supply facts to back up his positions - unlike our horse food sales place extremist.

    He has not argued the 10 rounds is the correct limit, but simply that a limit may be imposed.


    I disagree

    his appeals to mediocrity are well known-he justifies everything with the following

    1) an extinct law was never declared unconstitutional even though the extinction took place before Heller

    2) if the masses support it it must be right or constitutional

    he has yet to advance a rational argument as to why someone who is willing to kill himself would be prevented from committing murder by a gun law



  3. #383
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Not as many as there are today, which helped make 2012 the deadliest year in mass shootings. As the Baltimore Police Chief said, we need to “address the rising epidemic of gun violence in this nation."

    Police chief sees ‘epidemic’ of gun violence
    Oh no...Im pretty sure since you are married to the numbers the problem is Obama...the incidents of mass shootings HAVE jumped dramatically under his presidency.

    Seriously...there has never been a shortage of 30 round magazines OR 100 round magazines and if you are foolish enough to believe that is an issue you are simply too foolish to discuss the issue. And please DO make up your mind on what it is you want to ban. Is it assault rifles? High cap magazines? Just waht exactly is the 'culprit' since we all know you wont blame the people that are actually COMMITTING the acts.

  4. #384
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,758

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Oh no...Im pretty sure since you are married to the numbers the problem is Obama...the incidents of mass shootings HAVE jumped dramatically under his presidency.

    Seriously...there has never been a shortage of 30 round magazines OR 100 round magazines and if you are foolish enough to believe that is an issue you are simply too foolish to discuss the issue. And please DO make up your mind on what it is you want to ban. Is it assault rifles? High cap magazines? Just waht exactly is the 'culprit' since we all know you wont blame the people that are actually COMMITTING the acts.
    catawba is on record wanting a complete ban on private gun ownership



  5. #385
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    catawba is on record wanting a complete ban on private gun ownership
    I get that. His sliding goal line is based on convenience and the argument dujoir.

  6. #386
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,758

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I get that. His sliding goal line is based on convenience and the argument dujoir.
    he admitted that society is not ready for a complete ban. the incrementalist creeping crud of confiscation was shown by the scumbag Cuomo's premature Elegislation



  7. #387
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    It's now seven in NY. Is that now the new definition? BTW, did you ever bother to read the entire polling data I posted to you last evening?
    We were discussing federal law, not state law. And yes I did, and found nothing else relevant.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #388
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    We NEVER had a legal definition, IMHO. The SCOTUS permits, so far, both the states and the federal gov't to "limit" the right of the people to keep and bear arms, in various, thus non-standard ways. What good is a standard if it not the standard? Even more rediculous is making new "standards" that do not apply to anything made before that time.

    We had a law for ten years that defined high capacity magazines as those that exceeded 10 rounds. I guess you could make the same argument for the speed limit, why 55 mph for secondary highways? Certainly most cars are capable of going much faster.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #389
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,669

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    We had a law for ten years that defined high capacity magazines as those that exceeded 10 rounds. I guess you could make the same argument for the speed limit, why 55 mph for secondary highways?
    We had a brief national magazine limit (only on new sales) and a brief national speed limit (on ALL highways). The "same" argument does not apply, since one is a mere state issued privilege and the other a Constitutional right of the people. What the SCOTUS must do is to define, either what is "reasonable restriction" or what is "infringment", otherwise we will continue to get variations on the 2A "right" based on the whims of the legislature at both the federal and state levels.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #390
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,758

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    We had a law for ten years that defined high capacity magazines as those that exceeded 10 rounds. I guess you could make the same argument for the speed limit, why 55 mph for secondary highways? Certainly most cars are capable of going much faster.
    what was the rational basis for a ten round limit?



Page 39 of 49 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •