Page 32 of 49 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 490

Thread: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

  1. #311
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Your sources demonstrated to be wrong, your arguments proven to be fallacious: your opinions stand in ruin.
    Then answer this: why has the ATF been without a appointed leader for over 6 years? Why is the ATF always the target of spending cuts when it has a important job to do?

  2. #312
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Dude, that poll is only 2 weeks old. But do stick your head in the sand if it makes you more comfortable.
    The reason for asking for a recent poll is to see the shift in the results. For a broader look at the sentiments surrounding this issue review this...

    Guns

    While I'll agree at this time your 92% number is close, there is more to the issue than background checks, and in two or three months, the numbers will return to their norms...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  3. #313
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    The reason for asking for a recent poll is to see the shift in the results. For a broader look at the sentiments surrounding this issue review this...

    Guns

    While I'll agree at this time your 92% number is close, there is more to the issue than background checks, and in two or three months, the numbers will return to their norms...

    My poll showed 92% support for background checks for all gun sales, and your poll showed 91% support. We'll go with your poll!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #314
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    My poll showed 92% support for background checks for all gun sales, and your poll showed 91% support. We'll go with your poll!
    The hope was you would read more deeply...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  5. #315
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    The hope was you would read more deeply...
    Quote the part you wanted me to see.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #316
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Quote the part you wanted me to see.
    "Would you support or oppose a law requiring background checks on people buying guns at gun shows?"

    Support Oppose Unsure
    % % %


    1/10-13/13
    88 11 1


    5/00
    92 6 2


    8/30 - 9/2/99
    90 9 1


    5/99
    89 11 -

    This probably won't show up very well, but it shows the change in sentiment over time. Background checks have always been popular when polled as a single question, but it's actually a tad lower recently than in 1999...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  7. #317
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,669

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    92% support the concept but how many know how Obama intends to implement it? For that matter, does a bill even exist? As usual polls that are about concepts are far different from polls about actual legislation. Consider the "magic" of the current NICS background check policy (for 90% of gun buyers); it is "free", meaning that the shelf price (or your negotiated discount price) of the gun (say $350) at the FFL dealer's store is not changed, the NICS paperwork is filled out, the is call made and the sale is completed within about 20-25 minutes. You like that CONCEPT very much.

    Now consider that the FFL dealer is asked to do all of that for no profit at all, you simply wish to sell your used gun to your work buddy Jim for $200 and the FFL "gets to" do all that NICS paperwork and make the BG check call, a 20-25 minute deal just because Obama asked them nicely to do so; the FFL dealer, a businessman, will obvioulsy ask you for money, perhaps $40, for using his Obama directed REQUIRED services. You hate that IMPLEMENTATION REALITY very much because Jim says no deal, he will pay $200 not $240, so you either part with that gun for only $160 (net) or tell your buddy Jim to find another gun to buy.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #318
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    Former congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, D-Ariz., who was shot in the head more than two years ago during a mass shooting in a Tucson parking lot, opened the Senate Judiciary Committee's hearing Wednesday with a call to action on gun violence.

    "Speaking is difficult but I need to say something important," she said in a slow, deliberate voice to the dais of senators. "Violence is a big problem, too many children are dying, too many children. We must do something.
    "Americans are counting on you," she said.
    - Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    As I was reading the article I came across a perfect example of what I feel the problem is with the "gun restriction" crowed...

    Giffords husband astronaut Mark Kelly, added this statement paraphrased...

    "Called for legislators to close the loophole that allows private sellers to sell their guns without background checks, strengthen gun trafficking penalties for trafficking, and eliminate limitations on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to study gun violence.

    He also called for "a careful and civil conversation about the lethality of the firearms we permit to be legally bought and sold.
    "

    What does the center for disease control have to do with gun crime? This should worry people as they are trying to use a completely unrelated government body to manufacture, yes manufacture another reason to strip our 2nd amendment rights.

    The last highlighted statement is just beyond stupid as far as I am concerned. If I am at the point where I am actually aiming a weapon at someone in defense of my life, loved ones or even property I want it to be as lethal as possible if it has come to that point. So only police and government should have "lethal" firearms?

    This whole gun restriction mess is getting out of hand.



    I for one am sick of hearing "The children!!! Oh, sweeet merciful Jesus the CHILDREN!!!!!!, do it for the children!!"

    As if I'm going to give up my right to defend myself or my family for the "chiiiiiiiildren!!!"

    No, it is expressly for the children that I won't give up my right to bear arms, it is for the children that I will continue to fight against all forms of tyanny, it is expressly for the children that I will fight to my dying day against anyone or anything that would try to enslave me. Who would seek to impose its will over mine, who would attempt to tell me what's best for me or my CHILDREN.

    Anyone who throws "the children" in your face should be reviled. You're pimping out "the children" Your argument from there on out will fall on deaf ears and you'll be considered anethema.

  9. #319
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Quote the part you wanted me to see.
    Oh, and read the entire first page. There are a number of comparables over time...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  10. #320
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Spring99 View Post
    Nobody needs a 100-round drum magazine.

    Such toys are useful for two things: ripping **** apart like a damn fool, or killing lots of people in a small amount of time.
    educate us on your understanding of firearms. Actually lots of three gun competitors use highly tuned BETA mags to save time on high round count stages



Page 32 of 49 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •