Page 19 of 49 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 490

Thread: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    Former congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, D-Ariz., who was shot in the head more than two years ago during a mass shooting in a Tucson parking lot, opened the Senate Judiciary Committee's hearing Wednesday with a call to action on gun violence.

    "Speaking is difficult but I need to say something important," she said in a slow, deliberate voice to the dais of senators. "Violence is a big problem, too many children are dying, too many children. We must do something.
    "Americans are counting on you," she said.
    - Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    As I was reading the article I came across a perfect example of what I feel the problem is with the "gun restriction" crowed...

    Giffords husband astronaut Mark Kelly, added this statement paraphrased...

    "Called for legislators to close the loophole that allows private sellers to sell their guns without background checks, strengthen gun trafficking penalties for trafficking, and eliminate limitations on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to study gun violence.

    He also called for "a careful and civil conversation about the lethality of the firearms we permit to be legally bought and sold.
    "

    What does the center for disease control have to do with gun crime? This should worry people as they are trying to use a completely unrelated government body to manufacture, yes manufacture another reason to strip our 2nd amendment rights.

    The last highlighted statement is just beyond stupid as far as I am concerned. If I am at the point where I am actually aiming a weapon at someone in defense of my life, loved ones or even property I want it to be as lethal as possible if it has come to that point. So only police and government should have "lethal" firearms?

    This whole gun restriction mess is getting out of hand.


    It amuses me how democrats accuse others of taking positions on issues out of fear yet these idiots are the biggest fear mongers around...

    Giffords clearly doesn't see that she is being used as a prop....

    The tyrannical "left" is doing everything in its power to give the US public the illusion that every place you go in the United States is dangerous because there are guns. Of course there is epic gun violence everywhere isn't true, they're blatant liars and they know that. Their deception is absolutely mind boggling. They're lying because they don't want individuals to have the ability to petition their nanny state agenda with fire power (which is the entire purpose of the Second Amendment).

    These idiot democrat politicians who want to ban guns don't care about anyone but themselves and their power. A gun is nothing more than a threat to their power, guns prohibit them from ruling this nation like an authoritarian dictatorship. Sure democracy is all nice and dandy but the ability to say no with an AR-15 seems scary to them.

  2. #182
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    The point I made was that federal bans work better than local bans because of the ease of buying guns outside the locality. All you have done is make the case for federal gun control.
    Not quite I have made the case for the State to stand on existing laws and changing some that aren't working without the use of the FED. As there is no need for the Fed to know who has already bought firearms nor what type. Just because some states like Illinois and cities like Chicago got it wrong and have been going at the problem the wrong way. Doesn't mean it is the Right of the FED to come in and Dictate anything.

    The only Database the Fed should have are those of Criminals which the State shares with them. Just as the Fed should share theirs with the State over Federal Crimes. So they can be on the same page who has weapons that are Criminals.

  3. #183
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Not quite I have made the case for the State to stand on existing laws and changing some that aren't working without the use of the FED. As there is no need for the Fed to know who has already bought firearms nor what type. Just because some states like Illinois and cities like Chicago got it wrong and have been going at the problem the wrong way. Doesn't mean it is the Right of the FED to come in and Dictate anything.

    The only Database the Fed should have are those of Criminals which the State shares with them. Just as the Fed should share theirs with the State over Federal Crimes. So they can be on the same page who has weapons that are Criminals.

    You present a false choice. We should both enforce existing laws as well as make it more difficult for criminals and the mentally disturbed to buy guns.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #184
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    You present a false choice. We should both enforce existing laws as well as make it more difficult for criminals and the mentally disturbed to buy guns.
    No not quite.....I present a Clear choice of keeping Government out of the Rights of the people. It is you that presents a false choice. The law is of the people and for the People. The Law was not meant for the Right of Government.

    Illinois already has laws concerning the mentally disturbed being able to purchase or have a fire arm. Or did you fall for that false and misleading fact. Considering other states have such laws too.

  5. #185
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,364

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    It amuses me how democrats accuse others of taking positions on issues out of fear yet these idiots are the biggest fear mongers around...

    Giffords clearly doesn't see that she is being used as a prop....

    The tyrannical "left" is doing everything in its power to give the US public the illusion that every place you go in the United States is dangerous because there are guns. Of course there is epic gun violence everywhere isn't true, they're blatant liars and they know that. Their deception is absolutely mind boggling. They're lying because they don't want individuals to have the ability to petition their nanny state agenda with fire power (which is the entire purpose of the Second Amendment).

    These idiot democrat politicians who want to ban guns don't care about anyone but themselves and their power. A gun is nothing more than a threat to their power, guns prohibit them from ruling this nation like an authoritarian dictatorship. Sure democracy is all nice and dandy but the ability to say no with an AR-15 seems scary to them.
    You hit on a good point. Why haven't more gun fanatics "petitioned their Govt. with firepower"? That is what is missing in this debate. They keep saying they want to, but never do. We could settle this once and for all if they just put their lives where their mouth is. Could they really be just cowards and "chickens" who need guns to build their egos?

    Edit: Here's one gun owner who is taking on the Govt. Gun freaks should all be cheering him on I guess.

    http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/31/us/ala...html?hpt=hp_t2
    Last edited by iguanaman; 01-31-13 at 04:07 PM.

  6. #186
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Canada just got rid of its "long gun" registry, a promise that was part of the campaign of the Conservative Party who won a majority government in the last federal election here. The registry basically made law abiding rural citizens feel like criminals while actual criminals were not affected at all.

    It was a billion dollar bureaucratic liberal wet dream and most sane people saw it for what it is/was.
    How come we never hear about this crazy **** going on in Canada down here? We thought all Canadians were liberal until you showed up.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #187
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    You hit on a good point. Why haven't more gun fanatics "petitioned their Govt. with firepower"? That is what is missing in this debate. They keep saying they want to, but never do. We could settle this once and for all if they just put their lives where their mouth is. Could they really be just cowards and "chickens" who need guns to build their egos?
    Well, we haven't exactly come to the "breaking point" just yet.

    The second SS troopers go house to house searching property for guns is when your government will get a bullet in the brain.

    It's not "doomsday" just yet, however there is a word - it's called: precedence and what these scared little snot nosed idiots are doing in DC is playing with that word.

    I suppose congress could write all the laws they want - that doesn't mean I, or anyone else has to abide them. Laws are useless unless they're enforced. Until they're enforced there would be no need to fight.

    No matter how much progressives want to destroy the Bill of Rights - they need people (or Nazi's) to do their bidding and I don't see those who are capable of doing their bidding doing it..

    Do you really think the military or local law enforcement will actually partake in tyranny???

    I'm not at all concerned about the gun debate nor do I believe the government would ever attempt to take guns, however it's the symbolism or the mere suggestion that they do take guns away that really pisses people off.

    With that said, if they want the guns then they're more than welcome to try and take them via force - oh yeah - no one will.

    If Giffords, Clinton, Jackson, Pelosi et al want my guns then they can come take them away from me themselves - that goes for every tyrannical anti-Second Amendment progressive out there. The notion you think you have the manpower to do so is absolutely laughable.

    The real ego-minded fools are the ones in The Beltway who live their prissy rich lives, who have never held a gun in their lives and who sit there and believe they're aristocrats who try to play mommy or daddy to 300,000,000 US citizens, and who ironically have armed guards and who ironically believe they can somehow intimidate gun owners with government employed mercenaries (FBI,military, local law enforcement etc) and nonsense legislation - that if passed - would be tyrannical - not to mention legislation that would be ignored by state and local governments and potentially the majority of our military.
    Last edited by Mr.Nick; 01-31-13 at 04:31 PM.

  8. #188
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    You hit on a good point. Why haven't more gun fanatics "petitioned their Govt. with firepower"? That is what is missing in this debate. They keep saying they want to, but never do. We could settle this once and for all if they just put their lives where their mouth is. Could they really be just cowards and "chickens" who need guns to build their egos?

    Edit: Here's one gun owner who is taking on the Govt. Gun freaks should all be cheering him on I guess.

    Standoff drags into third day as man holds boy in underground bunker - CNN.com
    What a idiotic post and statement. Gun owners do not endorse breaking the law like that guy in the link. If this is what you think gun owners are like then perhaps you need to step back from this subject because only idiots make such a F****** idiotic comparison.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  9. #189
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,364

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    What a idiotic post and statement. Gun owners do not endorse breaking the law like that guy in the link. If this is what you think gun owners are like then perhaps you need to step back from this subject because only idiots make such a F****** idiotic comparison.
    Taking on the Govt. IS breaking the law and that is the excuse for unlimited firepower that I keep hearing. What do they really mean then?

  10. #190
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Taking on the Govt. IS breaking the law and that is the excuse for unlimited firepower that I keep hearing. What do they really mean then?
    Taking on tyranny, isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 19 of 49 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •