Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 490

Thread: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

  1. #111
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    Former congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, D-Ariz., who was shot in the head more than two years ago during a mass shooting in a Tucson parking lot, opened the Senate Judiciary Committee's hearing Wednesday with a call to action on gun violence.

    "Speaking is difficult but I need to say something important," she said in a slow, deliberate voice to the dais of senators. "Violence is a big problem, too many children are dying, too many children. We must do something.
    "Americans are counting on you," she said.
    - Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    As I was reading the article I came across a perfect example of what I feel the problem is with the "gun restriction" crowed...

    Giffords husband astronaut Mark Kelly, added this statement paraphrased...

    "Called for legislators to close the loophole that allows private sellers to sell their guns without background checks, strengthen gun trafficking penalties for trafficking, and eliminate limitations on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to study gun violence.

    He also called for "a careful and civil conversation about the lethality of the firearms we permit to be legally bought and sold.
    "

    What does the center for disease control have to do with gun crime? This should worry people as they are trying to use a completely unrelated government body to manufacture, yes manufacture another reason to strip our 2nd amendment rights.

    The last highlighted statement is just beyond stupid as far as I am concerned. If I am at the point where I am actually aiming a weapon at someone in defense of my life, loved ones or even property I want it to be as lethal as possible if it has come to that point. So only police and government should have "lethal" firearms?

    This whole gun restriction mess is getting out of hand.


    I think all the conservative senators should walk in carrying. Democrats are using Gifford as a political prop. They are making a laughingstock out of her. They'll use any means to get their agenda passed, any means!! It makes me sick.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #112
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Thank you sir - we're not all bad up here, you know, just as you're not all bad down there either.

    And I can tell you're a conservative - makes you accepting and respectful of differing opinions - as a Politico refugee, my experience has been that the most hateful, race baiting, xenophobes always either self-identify as liberal/Democrats or expose themselves as such through their words and thoughts.
    I'd carry a gun if I were you. They don't like your type up there. As far as they're concerned, everything you say is crazy talk.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #113
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,186

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I'd carry a gun if I were you. They don't like your type up there. As far as they're concerned, everything you say is crazy talk.
    Nah, don't need a gun - actually never held a gun or seen a gun in person - wouldn't know where to get one or how to use it if I did - but I don't let my needs or experiences dictate how others live their lives and possess what they choose to possess, provided they're civilized and don't commit any crimes with or for those possessions.

    I do find it curious that some feel they have a constitutional right to end life through abortion without limit but feel others have no or very limited constitutional rights to own a weapon because that weapon may end a life.

  4. #114
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,657

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    FACT - Since 1994, the NCIS background checks required by the Brady Law has stopped over 1.9 million criminals and other prohibited people from purchasing firearms from licensed dealers.

    Source U.S. Department of Justice. Bureau of Justice Statistics, Background Checks for Firearm Transfers, 2009: Statistical Tables (October 2010)
    SO...its REPEATING the same mindless talking point that is the 'debate' tactic du joir. Well...then I will ALSO ask again...SINCE you claim there have been 1.9 million felons denied access to weapons through background checks then there must have been 1.9 million arrests and convictions for attempting to illegally purchase a firearm...right? So...how many have their been? And how many of those 'felons' purchased guns illegally?

  5. #115
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    FACT - Since 1994, the NCIS background checks required by the Brady Law has stopped over 1.9 million criminals and other prohibited people from purchasing firearms from licensed dealers.

    Source U.S. Department of Justice. Bureau of Justice Statistics, Background Checks for Firearm Transfers, 2009: Statistical Tables (October 2010)
    stop lying-all it did was deny those people a sale at a FFL-since less than one tenth of one percent were actually PROSECUTED for lying on the form, you have no idea if they were actually stopped from further criminal activities.



  6. #116
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    FACT - Since 1994, the NCIS background checks required by the Brady Law has stopped over 1.9 million criminals and other prohibited people from purchasing firearms from licensed dealers.

    Source U.S. Department of Justice. Bureau of Justice Statistics, Background Checks for Firearm Transfers, 2009: Statistical Tables (October 2010)
    Fact: Chicago with the Strictest gun laws in the Country. Fact: Chicago confiscates more Guns than any other City in the US. Fact: Chicago back to being the Murder Capitol of the Nation. Fact: Chicago with the most Shootings in the Country. Fact: Chicago with the Most kids killed in the Country and the majority of them being Black. Fact: Chicago and Illinois have laws concerning the mentally handicap and laws with mental health issues and the owning of a firearm, and or purchasing of one.


    Wheres Gabby? Doesn't she want to make an impact? Why doesn't Gabby come here and play on the families who have lost their kids? Why hasn't Gabby started her Gun Campaign speaking out in the State of Arizona where her constituients are? Why isn't Gabby speaking in front of her very own people she grew up around?

    Why has Gabby singled out just the NRA when there are over 36 Pro gun Groups? Why doesn't Gabby want to bring up those others who have money and have city and state workers in their group?

    Why hasn't Gabby heard the news that Feinsteins Bill is DOA on Capitol Hill? What did Debbie Schultz forget all of a sudden to tell her?

    Fact: Violent crime in the Country has gone down. Fact: Crime has gone down.

    Do you think that Gabby should have to hear from the Multitude of Americans that we do not appreciate her dishonest argument of we have to do something Right.....na-na-na now?

  7. #117
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Really? Read much about the VA Tech shootings? Kip Kinkel? Columbine? You think ANY shooter walking around unhindered for 10 minutes would kill fewer people with a handgun or shotgun then an AR? Cuz...the facts...they kinda disprove that.

    (for good measure, lets throw James Holmes and the Aurora shooting into that equation as well. He proved pretty clearly that after his AR jammed less than a third of the way into a magazine that his handgun made a more than adequate suitable substitute. Of course...that doesnt fit the 'assault weapon' rhetoric...so lets not talk about 'facts')
    Sure, you can kill a lot of people with a handgun. The most deadly attacks are the ones committed in a closed environment that's crowded. But that doesn't change the fact that if a gun fires twice as many bullets in the same time, it is capable of twice as many casualties in the same time. I've heard your argument from a million people a million times, and I'm never impressed because I've never had anybody convince me that there is an advantage to maintaining production and sales of weapons like the Bushmaster. Disadvantage - a killer using the weapon instead of a handgun in otherwise identical circumstances will kill more people. Advantages - civilians will be able to better defend their families from large groups of organized criminals in cases of involvement with drug manufacturing/trafficking, the mafia, or ancient aliens. I mean, come one! Paranoid Americans trump common sense?

    Will it save the world? No. But it could have saved some of the children who died in Newtown, and that alone would be worth making some paranoid guys in Texas angry.
    A working class hero is something to be

  8. #118
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,657

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    Sure, you can kill a lot of people with a handgun. The most deadly attacks are the ones committed in a closed environment that's crowded. But that doesn't change the fact that if a gun fires twice as many bullets in the same time, it is capable of twice as many casualties in the same time. I've heard your argument from a million people a million times, and I'm never impressed because I've never had anybody convince me that there is an advantage to maintaining production and sales of weapons like the Bushmaster. Disadvantage - a killer using the weapon instead of a handgun in otherwise identical circumstances will kill more people. Advantages - civilians will be able to better defend their families from large groups of organized criminals in cases of involvement with drug manufacturing/trafficking, the mafia, or ancient aliens. I mean, come one! Paranoid Americans trump common sense?

    Will it save the world? No. But it could have saved some of the children who died in Newtown, and that alone would be worth making some paranoid guys in Texas angry.
    Thats simply not realistic. 10 minutes. 10 minutes with no police response. Do you know how many rounds you can fire in 10 minutes? Do you know how long it takes to reload a handgun? This inane drive to target 'assault rifles' is nothing more than a 'cause'. Its the same inane cause extremist leftists have been in pursuit of for decades. They dont CARE that it is irrelevant. They dont CARE about the facts. The NYPD Commissioner, a FAN of banning guns, came out this week and stated that in the nearly 1400 shootings that occurred in NYC only THREE could be balistically matched to a long rifle of ANY kind. I can cite you facts, incident reports, case studies that show conclusively that the TYPE of weapon used in mass shootings since 1980 is IRRELEVANT to numbers of deceased. It wont make a difference. You will cling to the rhetoric because you support the 'cause'. The cause isnt 'saving lives'...it is attacking a specific style of firearm legally owned and responsibly used by the VAST majority on gun owners (and vast is of course a DRAMATIC understatement).

    Never let facts get in the way of your zeal to promote an ideological cause.

  9. #119
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    No. But it could have saved some of the children who died in Newtown, and that alone would be worth making some paranoid guys in Texas angry.

    No, it wouldn't have. The killer in Newtown shot children MULTIPLE times at point blank range to make sure they were dead. Meaning he took his sweet ass time in doing so. A so called "assault weapons ban" would not have prevented the deaths that occured by that sick individual.

  10. #120
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    SO...its REPEATING the same mindless talking point that is the 'debate' tactic du joir. Well...then I will ALSO ask again...SINCE you claim there have been 1.9 million felons denied access to weapons through background checks then there must have been 1.9 million arrests and convictions for attempting to illegally purchase a firearm...right? So...how many have their been? And how many of those 'felons' purchased guns illegally?
    Deny the facts I've documented if that works for you Vance. Making it harder and more expensive for criminals and crazies to get guns is what it is all about.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •