Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 490

Thread: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

  1. #91
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,608

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    Criminals are getting guns, and they're not guns that are manufactured in people's basements. So clearly it's a problem that guns purchased and owned legally are winding up being used to slaughter innocent people. The articles you're talking about are virtually meaningless because they're all studying correlation and that doesn't prove causation. Besides, there are a number of laws regarding gun ownership and registration and "lax" is a subjective term.

    What gun did Adam Lanza use to kill all those children? Where did it come from? Are situations like Newtown preventable? My opinion is that they are not, but if we put limitations on what kind of guns were legal to purchase, there could very well be 5-10 children still alive who died that day. We can't prevent tragedies but we can minimize them.
    What you say is true, however we must look at reality. The mass shootings, such as AL, occur about two times per year in this nation of 310 million people. If your estimate is correct, and I'll be generous here, then to save 20 lives per year we must limit the avalable NEW legal firearms based on magazine capacity. Assuming that we will add very few (if any) new magazines that hold over 10 rounds, and also not remove any now in private hands, then the existing stock will be depleted in about 100 years, so expect no changes until then.

    With that in mind, this is obviously simply round one in limitting guns/magazines; because I do not believe, for one minute, that the "gun grabbers" are going to settle for this as the "last step". What is being sought is much more than that. What is desired is a federal registry of all existing and new guns, under the guise that it will limit the sales/transfers to criminals, however, as you noted, AL got those guns by killing their owner and taking them, so that also will likely have no impact on the nation's two mass shootings per year.

    The talk of universal background checks for all gun/ammo sales is also being done, yet in a bass ackwards way; the Obama proposal is to require use FFL dealers as "middlemen" for all future "private" transfers. This is not enforcable UNLESS all guns are registered, since otherwise how can it possibly be enforced? Yep - creating another "need" for federal registration. The real goal.

    The answer, of course, is so simple and we do it now for driving cars; make a state issued, photo ID with the privilege indicated - a drivers license. We test each driver only ONCE, if they pass then issue the ID and let them use that to prove they are legal to drive upon our roadways. The same can be done for NICS background checks, do them ONCE for each adult US citizen and indicate "GUN OK" on that same state issued, photo ID (if they pass the BG check) otherwise the ID is issued w/o that designation. Then ANY sale of guns/ammo at a FFL dealer, public gunshow, Walmart, bait/tackle shop or the typical private sale can simply require that the buyer show their "GUN OK" ID to assure that the sale is legal. No more need for point of sale NICS background checks, which save lots of time and money too.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #92
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,701

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Really? Read much about the VA Tech shootings? Kip Kinkel? Columbine? You think ANY shooter walking around unhindered for 10 minutes would kill fewer people with a handgun or shotgun then an AR? Cuz...the facts...they kinda disprove that.

    (for good measure, lets throw James Holmes and the Aurora shooting into that equation as well. He proved pretty clearly that after his AR jammed less than a third of the way into a magazine that his handgun made a more than adequate suitable substitute. Of course...that doesnt fit the 'assault weapon' rhetoric...so lets not talk about 'facts')
    Here is the problem. Many lefties really have no use for gun owners or gun rights. so they really don't need much or any evidence to support legislation that will hassle honest people even if it only has a 1 percent chance of stopping crime. In many cases, harassing legal gun owners is an ADDED OR PRIMARY BENEFIT rather than a cost. On the other hand, they could have Kennedy, Clinton, Jesus, Allah and Moses tell them that the death penalty deters crime (no one executed has ever killed again) and they still won't support it because killing even charlie Manson upsets their sensibilities.



  3. #93
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:59 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,476

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Before they make any new laws they need to make the present laws have a real bite.

    For instance the guy who shot Gifford and killed the little 9 yr old girl is still alive.
    Why is that puke still alive? What the hell people.
    Unless it is only circumstantial evidence somebody who starts killing people left and right with that many witnesses should be destroyed in one week. Period. Like a rabid dog.

    Both sides of the arguement should agree to that , right?

    Caught with a gun in crime and do life.

    I realize alot of these murderers don't have a record and we will only catch them after the fact. I don't know if this would be a deterrent or not. But quick punishment would prevent some from basking in their fame.

  4. #94
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,701

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    Before they make any new laws they need to make the present laws have a real bite.

    For instance the guy who shot Gifford and killed the little 9 yr old girl is still alive.
    Why is that puke still alive? What the hell people.
    Unless it is only circumstantial evidence somebody who starts killing people left and right with that many witnesses should be destroyed in one week. Period. Like a rabid dog.

    Both sides of the arguement should agree to that , right?

    Caught with a gun in crime and do life.

    I realize alot of these murderers don't have a record and we will only catch them after the fact. I don't know if this would be a deterrent or not. But quick punishment would prevent some from basking in their fame.
    Loughner needs to be the star of Bob and Tom's PRISONER OF LOVE (aka Prison Bitch)



  5. #95
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Yes, it does. Chicago today released a report that showed that 75% of the perpetrators of violent crimes in their fair city are repeat offenders. Thats a ****ing AWESOME place to start. When people satrt to realize there is no longer a revolving door then they might think twice about committing ANY violent act with a weapon. If they dont get the memo...they wont be released to re-offend til they are old and grey. Its a HELLUVA lot better place to start than making excuses for them, building new schools that are going to get trashed while the bodies continue to pile up, and targeting the inanimate objects or law abiding citizens. But then...people like you would have to run the risk of actually be seen attacking the perpetrators....
    There is no reason not to do both increased enforcement as you suggest as well as limiting access to criminals and crazies.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #96
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    Before they make any new laws they need to make the present laws have a real bite.

    For instance the guy who shot Gifford and killed the little 9 yr old girl is still alive.
    Why is that puke still alive? What the hell people.
    Unless it is only circumstantial evidence somebody who starts killing people left and right with that many witnesses should be destroyed in one week. Period. Like a rabid dog.

    Both sides of the arguement should agree to that , right?

    Caught with a gun in crime and do life.

    I realize alot of these murderers don't have a record and we will only catch them after the fact. I don't know if this would be a deterrent or not. But quick punishment would prevent some from basking in their fame.
    It would be nice to enforce our gun laws , unfortunately the ATF has been without a appointed leader for 6 years, and the ATF is a regular target for deregulation.

  7. #97
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    "But by the end, one thing seemed clearer: A consensus is emerging among lawmakers for an expansion of background checks for gun buyers, a proposal with far more bipartisan support than a reinstatement of the federal assault-weapons ban.

    “Universal background checks is a proven, effective step we can take to reduce gun violence,” Sen. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) said at the hearing. “And I believe it has a good chance of passing.”

    The purpose of the hearing was to shape gun legislation that can pass a splintered Congress. Committee Chairman Patrick J. Leahy (D-Vt.) said he expects the panel to craft a bill by next month."

    Gabrielle Giffords speaks at Senate hearing on gun violence: ‘You must act. Be bold.’ - The Washington Post
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #98
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,482

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
    The mandate of the CDC, founded under the Public Health Service Act, is for general public health. This includes studying injury and safety concerns.
    There are more people killed by car wrecks and more kids killed by accidental poisonings every year than from gun crimes. Why aren't their hearings about banning Liquid Plumber?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #99
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,694

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    There is no reason not to do both increased enforcement as you suggest as well as limiting access to criminals and crazies.
    By all means...do both. As soon as you figure out how to limit access make sure you pass that word to the DEA folks. Limiting access to heroin, rock, and pot has been a dismal failure. See...criminals...they figure that whole 'access' thing out.

  10. #100
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,694

    Re: Senate gun hearing opens with Giffords' call for action

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    There are more people killed by car wrecks and more kids killed by accidental poisonings every year than from gun crimes. Why aren't their hearings about banning Liquid Plumber?
    Because they don't give a **** about saving lives or reducing violence. All they care about is exploiting the death of cute little victims to further their ideological cause of banning assault weapons.

Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •