Page 56 of 61 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 560 of 603

Thread: Israel gave birth control to Ethiopian Jews without their consent [W:283,569]

  1. #551
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    re: Israel gave birth control to Ethiopian Jews without their consent [W:283,569]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    If a piece of surgical equipment is sterilized, does that last forever?
    Yes, of course. It is then impossible to ever contaminate it again.

    Are there no English remedial schools anymore?

  2. #552
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,191

    re: Israel gave birth control to Ethiopian Jews without their consent [W:283,569]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Yes, of course. It is then impossible to ever contaminate it again.

    Are there no English remedial schools anymore?
    I'm glad you understand that sterilization is not a permanent condition. You would think that people in the medical profession would understand that.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  3. #553
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,539
    Blog Entries
    11

    re: Israel gave birth control to Ethiopian Jews without their consent [W:283,569]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    The actual definition of the word disagrees with the colloquial usage by health professionals.

    Here's the real newsflash for everyone who thinks that the colloquial use of the word by health professionals is the end all and be all of the discussion: The word was not created by them. It was adopted by them. It does not matter if they like to use it solely to describe permanent sterilization. The word is still very applicable to temporary sterilization techniques, techniques such as birth control methods which work by making a person incapable of reproduction.

    There are basically three types of birth control classes:

    1. Methods which prevent the intermingling of gametes (examples: condoms, Diaphram)
    2. Methods which prevent the fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus (Example: IUD)
    3. Methods which render the person incapable of reproducing (Examples: hormone treatments like "the pill", vasectomies, Tubal Ligation)

    The third type are the one's which are "sterilization techniques". Health professionals have decided to only call the permanent techniques of this type "sterilization", but that does not negate the fact that they are ALL sterilization techniques.
    The dictionary describes sterilization as a permanent condition, such as by removing reproductive organs.

    Depo-Provera lasts about 3 months. After that they are back in action.

    Sterilize | Define Sterilize at Dictionary.com

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  4. #554
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    08-16-13 @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    970

    re: Israel gave birth control to Ethiopian Jews without their consent [W:283,569]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I suppose since you have demonstrated the astounding capacity to put the word stupid in bold (your mother must be so proud) you should be able to present something, oh, I don't know, not retarded that can disprove the dictionary definition of the word. I mean, the guy you have allied with has decided that tubal ligation isn't sterilization because... well... because... that was pretty much his astoundingly intelligent argument when you get right down to it. I'm sure you have something better, though. Like, perhaps, "because I said so", or "because it's like totally not what the dictionary says it is man because like, well, you're stupid".

    Please, amaze us with your brilliance.
    Don't get so upset Tucker. I did not say you were stupid, just this internet argument of yours. Where in the year 2013, can you find THIS argument being put forth? Only on the internet! Certainly not in the halls of academia or in medical schools. Or even veterinary schools either! For obvious reasons too. I guess to pass the time some internet posters have nothing better to do than try to argue that "sterilization" is the same thing as "contraception" in a thread about supposed forced use of contraceptives, that was supposed to equate forced sterilization. Which is for obvious political reasons! Of course one is temporary and the other is permanent. Which has always been the big difference between the two and why most of the REAL WORLD does not consider people on birth control "sterilized" but practicing the use of a "contraceptive". I "allied" myself with someone here at DP on this issue? Let me guess, you think the meaning or "agreement" is now also the same thing as "allied"? And so it goes. On the internet.
    Last edited by Gie; 02-02-13 at 07:38 AM.

  5. #555
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    08-16-13 @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    970

    re: Israel gave birth control to Ethiopian Jews without their consent [W:283,569]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I suppose since you have demonstrated the astounding capacity to put the word stupid in bold (your mother must be so proud) you should be able to present something, oh, I don't know, not retarded that can disprove the dictionary definition of the word. I mean, the guy you have allied with has decided that tubal ligation isn't sterilization because... well... because... that was pretty much his astoundingly intelligent argument when you get right down to it. I'm sure you have something better, though. Like, perhaps, "because I said so", or "because it's like totally not what the dictionary says it is man because like, well, you're stupid".

    Please, amaze us with your brilliance.
    Oh and just to be honest as hell, my mother (God rest her soul) was a lifelong educator with an eye for language and grammar. Which is why she is probably rolling in her grave and no more "proud" of my routine mangling of language and grammar than yours. We would both be scolded. Of course dear Mom had a hysterectomy for medical reasons in her late 40's that left her actually "sterilized" per the meaning of the word through the annals of time and history. Rather than according to your internet argument.

  6. #556
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    re: Israel gave birth control to Ethiopian Jews without their consent [W:283,569]

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    The dictionary describes sterilization as a permanent condition, such as by removing reproductive organs.

    Depo-Provera lasts about 3 months. After that they are back in action.

    Sterilize | Define Sterilize at Dictionary.com
    Not all of them:

    Sterilize - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  7. #557
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    re: Israel gave birth control to Ethiopian Jews without their consent [W:283,569]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gie View Post
    Oh and just to be honest as hell, my mother (God rest her soul) was a lifelong educator with an eye for language and grammar. Which is why she is probably rolling in her grave and no more "proud" of my routine mangling of language and grammar than yours. We would both be scolded. Of course dear Mom had a hysterectomy for medical reasons in her late 40's that left her actually "sterilized" per the meaning of the word through the annals of time and history. Rather than according to your internet argument.
    Bully for yo' mama. I suppose that in her educating years she never taught you that definitions come from dictionaries?

    Sterilize - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

    No mention of permanence.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  8. #558
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    re: Israel gave birth control to Ethiopian Jews without their consent [W:283,569]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    The actual definition of the word disagrees with the colloquial usage by health professionals.

    Here's the real newsflash for everyone who thinks that the colloquial use of the word by health professionals is the end all and be all of the discussion: The word was not created by them. It was adopted by them. It does not matter if they like to use it solely to describe permanent sterilization. The word is still very applicable to temporary sterilization techniques, techniques such as birth control methods which work by making a person incapable of reproduction.

    There are basically three types of birth control classes:

    1. Methods which prevent the intermingling of gametes (examples: condoms, Diaphram)
    2. Methods which prevent the fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus (Example: IUD)
    3. Methods which render the person incapable of reproducing (Examples: hormone treatments like "the pill", vasectomies, Tubal Ligation)

    The third type are the one's which are "sterilization techniques". Health professionals have decided to only call the permanent techniques of this type "sterilization", but that does not negate the fact that they are ALL sterilization techniques.
    Really, Tuck. I put on a condom and that makes me sterile?

  9. #559
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    08-16-13 @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    970

    re: Israel gave birth control to Ethiopian Jews without their consent [W:283,569]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Bully for yo' mama. I suppose that in her educating years she never taught you that definitions come from dictionaries?

    Sterilize - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

    No mention of permanence.
    One can only hope you have a less occluded concept of "contraception" for the sake of an internet argument, than you do "sterilization". Alas, for the sake of an internet argument, that is doubtful. Onward brave internet warrior! Surely the mark of true internet valor, the Boozelnutbruarerawba crown waits you in Valhalla! Where presumably(hopefully)actual sterilization is a practice!

  10. #560
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,539
    Blog Entries
    11

    re: Israel gave birth control to Ethiopian Jews without their consent [W:283,569]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    The article you link seems to confirm what I said.

    Being in the medical profession I have an image of "sterilization" being to render something free of life, as in to kill it off. When you sterilize an instrument there is nothing left that can grow. It's all dead. It's not a temporary sort of thing.

    If you say the Israelis were "sterilizing" those women you are miss-communicating. It improperly, in my view, uses a word that has a particular connotation that falsely connects what the Israelis are doing with the bad deeds of others in the past, such as the forced sterilization of retarded people and the insane back in the 1940s. That is clearly not what is happening since the worst a dose of Depo-Provera can do is delay conception by a few months.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

Page 56 of 61 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •