Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 71

Thread: Sgt. Reunited With Baby Given Up for Adoption

  1. #11
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Sgt. Reunited With Baby Given Up for Adoption

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    Besides, just the mother? Who else screwed this up?
    Her marriage was obviously a matter of record. Any child born within that marriage was considered to be his no matter whose it was. From the link:

    According to Achane, Bland gave the agency Achane's old address in Texas where he lived prior to being stationed in South Carolina, and suggested he would not consent to the adoption. The agency attempted to contact him once in Texas, but seems not to have made any other efforts to receive his consent, Wiser said.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  2. #12
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Sgt. Reunited With Baby Given Up for Adoption

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Her marriage was obviously a matter of record. Any child born within that marriage was considered to be his no matter whose it was. From the link:
    So it was his fault that the mother knowingly gave a bogus address. Anyone who has ever been married to a military member knows exactly how to get into contact with them. There are many avenues. All you need is their SSN and be near a military installation. Hell, she knew what installations he had worked at prior to being moved. She could have easily gone thru the chain of command of his previous work location and they would have found him within a day or two and ordered him to get into contact with his wife.

    If that does not work, you could always go to the Red Cross and they have the ability to locate a military member anywhere in the world thru their chain of command.

    This woman was using the child as leverage because she knew he cared about the child. It is obvious by her actions that she was probably not the best wife in the world and I would not blame the guy for leaving her. But he still cared about his child. Does he not have these rights just as a mother does. If she no longer wants to be in a relationship with someone, can she still not have the right to care for her children. Well, that goes both ways!
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  3. #13
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Sgt. Reunited With Baby Given Up for Adoption

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    Are you serious!!!!!!!
    Yes, I am.

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    This man has every right to HIS child.
    Upon what basis do you call it his child? He didn't gestate the girl for nine months. He didn't raise the girl for twenty-two months. The only claim to fatherhood this man had-- before the court wrongfully tore the child away from her parents-- was the fact that he ****ed the child's mother. Maybe. Has there even been a paternity test to find out the child was not the product of an affair? That's a fairly common reason for married women to abort, after all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    If the woman choose to withold the knowledge of the childs birth to the father then how is he to claim his rights as a father.
    Again, what makes you think he should have rights under these circumstances?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    FATHERS HAVE RIGHTS ALSO!!!
    Fathers have rights. Sperm donors don't. Until his wife-- his ex-wife now-- places that child in his arms, he's not a father and he should have neither the rights nor the responsibilities thereof.

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    Society brandishes men who walk away from their children as dead beat fathers... but then in the same breath, gives them no rights to be a father in these kind of situations. What a bunch of hypocritical crap!
    Society does a lot of things wrong. Look at this case. Just because society isn't consistent doesn't mean that I'm not.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Sgt. Reunited With Baby Given Up for Adoption

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Gehrig View Post
    Upon what basis do you call it his child? He didn't gestate the girl for nine months. He didn't raise the girl for twenty-two months. The only claim to fatherhood this man had-- before the court wrongfully tore the child away from her parents-- was the fact that he ****ed the child's mother. Maybe. Has there even been a paternity test to find out the child was not the product of an affair? That's a fairly common reason for married women to abort, after all.
    If it's his kid and he wants the kid, why does he need anything more?


    Fathers have rights. Sperm donors don't. Until his wife-- his ex-wife now-- places that child in his arms, he's not a father and he should have neither the rights nor the responsibilities thereof.
    Sperm donors sign away their rights and responsibilities for the children that come about from their donation. That has very little to do with a father generally speaking.

  5. #15
    User smalltime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    04-29-13 @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    19

    Re: Sgt. Reunited With Baby Given Up for Adoption

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Gehrig View Post
    Fathers have rights. Sperm donors don't. Until his wife-- his ex-wife now-- places that child in his arms, he's not a father and he should have neither the rights nor the responsibilities thereof.
    I'm having a hard time believing you're a moderator for this forum with views like that.

    Just so we're clear here.....
    Because he fathered the child, this gives him NO rights?
    Because the mother is a whore, he has no saying in the raising of HIS Heirs?

    Views like yours are the reason There are so many abortions in this country.
    If you want to get laid, go to college.
    If you want to learn something, go to the library.


    Frank Zappa

  6. #16
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Sgt. Reunited With Baby Given Up for Adoption

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Gehrig View Post
    Yes, I am.



    Upon what basis do you call it his child? He didn't gestate the girl for nine months. He didn't raise the girl for twenty-two months. The only claim to fatherhood this man had-- before the court wrongfully tore the child away from her parents-- was the fact that he ****ed the child's mother. Maybe. Has there even been a paternity test to find out the child was not the product of an affair? That's a fairly common reason for married women to abort, after all.
    By this logic, men should not pay child support if a woman demands a divorce. If fathers don't have rights, then why should a father be obliged to pay for a child he has no parental rights for? If this woman had an affair with another man and the child was not his, I am most positive, given the evidence, she would have used that against him. Instead, she threatened to abort THEIR child. She knew it was THEIR child and used it to threaten him.

    Again, what makes you think he should have rights under these circumstances?
    By law, a woman has the right to demand support from the father if he is no longer around. By the same law, a man should have the right to a child if the mother does not wish to support the child. If you are going to say that men do not have parental rights, then you have to also abolish their obligation to support women who claim child support on the grounds the woman has a right for male support if he is not around.



    Fathers have rights. Sperm donors don't. Until his wife-- his ex-wife now-- places that child in his arms, he's not a father and he should have neither the rights nor the responsibilities thereof.
    Well women are nearly sperm recepticles. See how that sounds? If you walked around saying women are no more than sperm recepticles you would probably be burned at the stake! You reduce a man to nothing... That is a very misandric view!


    Society does a lot of things wrong. Look at this case. Just because society isn't consistent doesn't mean that I'm not.
    Then you have to clarify your stance on many things so that we are all clear on your beliefs..

    If a woman demands a divorce and also demands sole custody, does the man still pay child support against his will?

    If a woman and a man have unprotected sex and the woman gets pregnant and the woman wants an abortion, does the man have a say if he wants the child?

    We will start with those questions first.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  7. #17
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Sgt. Reunited With Baby Given Up for Adoption

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    If it's his kid and he wants the kid, why does he need anything more?
    In my state he would have a tough time with this due to how the law works and the appeal time and the finality of orders so long as the adoptive parents did not knowingly participate in the fraud. At the same time, the mother just giving a fake address wouldn't have been enough to get this adoption to go through in the first place. "Unknown father" causes some hurdles; known father creates some very high hurdles.

  8. #18
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Sgt. Reunited With Baby Given Up for Adoption

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    If it's his kid and he wants the kid, why does he need anything more?
    You are not answering my question. Upon what basis do you say the child is his?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Sperm donors sign away their rights and responsibilities for the children that come about from their donation. That has very little to do with a father generally speaking.
    He wasn't a father until the courts made him a father. He wasn't even supporting the mother while she was pregnant-- maybe through no fault of his own, but this is still the fact.

    Quote Originally Posted by smalltime View Post
    Just so we're clear here.....
    Because he fathered the child, this gives him NO rights?
    Because the mother is a whore, he has no saying in the raising of HIS Heirs?
    You're not answering the question either. Why should it?

    We're not talking about a man who has raised a child as his own for years. We're talking about a man who didn't know that a child existed until another family had raised that child for twenty-two months. They are the rightful parents.

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    By this logic, men should not pay child support if a woman demands a divorce.
    Men should not pay child support at all, unless the mother has offered the child to him and he has accepted it. If a couple divorces after they have children, he should absolutely pay child support-- and he should absolutely have full parental rights.

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    If this woman had an affair with another man and the child was not his, I am most positive, given the evidence, she would have used that against him.
    Yes, but then would you still support his "right" to demand custody of the child? Or would you instead insist that the "right" belongs to the piece of **** that slept with a married woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    Instead, she threatened to abort THEIR child. She knew it was THEIR child and used it to threaten him.
    HER child, that existed solely within HER womb. She had every right to abort the child.

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    By law, a woman has the right to demand support from the father if he is no longer around.
    This law allows women to coerce men into becoming fathers against their will. This is considered wrongful when women are subjected to it, and yet people use the same arguments to justify coercing men into fatherhood without so much as noticing the irony-- "he made that decision when he had sex"; "he should have kept it in his pants then" and so forth, arguments that are rightfully dismissed as misogynist, "slut shaming" garbage when applied to women in the abortion debate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    By the same law, a man should have the right to a child if the mother does not wish to support the child.
    The mother gestated the child in her womb for nine months. What did the "father" do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    Then you have to clarify your stance on many things so that we are all clear on your beliefs..
    I'm fine with that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    If a woman demands a divorce and also demands sole custody, does the man still pay child support against his will?
    Assuming he's been father to the child, yes. And she should not have the right to demand full custody unless it can be proven that he is an unfit parent. He is a father, and he has rights.

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    If a woman and a man have unprotected sex and the woman gets pregnant and the woman wants an abortion, does the man have a say if he wants the child?
    Absolutely not. If he wanted a child, he should have slept with a woman who wanted to give him one.

  9. #19
    Educator

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    09-07-14 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,037

    Re: Sgt. Reunited With Baby Given Up for Adoption

    Imagine waiting years to become eligible for an adoption, finally being blessed with a child to call your own, raising and loving that child for two years, and then one day being told that child no longer belongs to you and is being given to a man who has never seen nor loved that child.

    It's awful, and don't pretend the sgt is the only victim in this situation.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Sgt. Reunited With Baby Given Up for Adoption

    Quote Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
    Imagine waiting years to become eligible for an adoption, finally being blessed with a child to call your own, raising and loving that child for two years, and then one day being told that child no longer belongs to you and is being given to a man who has never seen nor loved that child.

    It's awful, and don't pretend the sgt is the only victim in this situation.
    It is an awful situation, but neither the courts nor the father caused this. The mother should be charged with fraud. The rest is a no-win situation for the adults. I hope whoever wins will be willing to let the other(s) be involved as much as possible in the child's life for so long as they want.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •