Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 163

Thread: Former CIA officer John Kiriakou is sentenced to 30 months in prison for leaks

  1. #51
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Former CIA officer John Kiriakou is sentenced to 30 months in prison for leaks

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    and an end
    What's the matter? damage your cred to have points of agreement with a conservative? How sad.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #52
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Former CIA officer John Kiriakou is sentenced to 30 months in prison for leaks

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    What's the matter? damage your cred to have points of agreement with a conservative? How sad.
    No, not at all. I just wanted to be clear concerning the extent of our agreement.

    I did not intend it to be provocative or offensive
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Former CIA officer John Kiriakou is sentenced to 30 months in prison for leaks

    Torture is immoral, unreliable and illegal, and revealing it to the public through the press is the right thing to do. Much of the false information that was used to justify the attack and occupation of Iraq came from tortured prisoners. Assuming that all of his actions were genuinely done to reveal the use of torture, then he deserved whistleblower protection and should be considered a hero. The judges opinion on whether it was whistleblowing or not is not authoritative for me. None of the news stories I read indicated that the government showed that he took action for personal gain or to benefit outside interests.

  4. #54
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:47 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,302

    Re: Former CIA officer John Kiriakou is sentenced to 30 months in prison for leaks

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Then she and her husband should be the ones convicted for outing her...After all the moment she gave the interview with the magazine she was out....But like I said this isn't about her....And using her is only deflection from the thread.
    Au contraire. It is an exact duplication of the incident, separated by time and politics. Valerie Plame was a covert CIA agent exposed by the White House, not by herself until after it was public knowledge and it was entirely political. Pots and kettles calling owls green?

  5. #55
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Former CIA officer John Kiriakou is sentenced to 30 months in prison for leaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Torture is immoral, unreliable and illegal, and revealing it to the public through the press is the right thing to do. Much of the false information that was used to justify the attack and occupation of Iraq came from tortured prisoners. Assuming that all of his actions were genuinely done to reveal the use of torture, then he deserved whistleblower protection and should be considered a hero. The judges opinion on whether it was whistleblowing or not is not authoritative for me. None of the news stories I read indicated that the government showed that he took action for personal gain or to benefit outside interests.

    So, you don't accept Judges verdicts as valid, if YOU don't agree with them? Who appointed you supreme overseer of justice in this country?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #56
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Former CIA officer John Kiriakou is sentenced to 30 months in prison for leaks

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    Au contraire. It is an exact duplication of the incident, separated by time and politics. Valerie Plame was a covert CIA agent exposed by the White House, not by herself until after it was public knowledge and it was entirely political. Pots and kettles calling owls green?
    Except in the Plame case, the real person who "outed" a CIA employee that was covert at one point, but no longer was, never was prosecuted by Fitzgerald in the case even though he knew who outed her, Richard Armitage, early on in the investigation....Libby was a process charge to justify a massive waste of time and money.

    I will agree with you that any CIA worker that at any time in their career was covert, probably best not to be talking to the press about that person, whether they are currently covert or not, but we are talking letter of the law here, and at the time her name was leaked by Colin Powell's Cos, Armitage, she and her husband was all over DC at parties dropping the covert experience, giving interviews to Vanity Fair, Showing up to work day in, day out at CIA HQ. Anyone who wanted to know where she worked would only have to have talked to her, Wilson, her tea sipping husband, or simply seen her enter CIA HQ monday thru friday.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #57
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Former CIA officer John Kiriakou is sentenced to 30 months in prison for leaks

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    No, not at all. I just wanted to be clear concerning the extent of our agreement.

    I did not intend it to be provocative or offensive

    I didn't take it as such....Just having a little fun....
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #58
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Former CIA officer John Kiriakou is sentenced to 30 months in prison for leaks

    While it would be justifiable to leak information about torture as a whistleblower, leaking the names of undercover agents was not justified under the circumstances. John Kiriakou broke the law and his 30 month sentence is reasonable.

    My problem with the whole situation is that people who committed acts of torture aren't even being charged. Justice is clearly not the motivation here, as even heinous crimes are tolerated provided they are met with political sanction. Turning a blind eye to a major evil while trumpeting the punishment of a minor one is little more than hypocrisy and corruption.

  9. #59
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Former CIA officer John Kiriakou is sentenced to 30 months in prison for leaks

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    While it would be justifiable to leak information about torture as a whistleblower, leaking the names of undercover agents was not justified under the circumstances. John Kiriakou broke the law and his 30 month sentence is reasonable.

    My problem with the whole situation is that people who committed acts of torture aren't even being charged. Justice is clearly not the motivation here, as even heinous crimes are tolerated provided they are met with political sanction. Turning a blind eye to a major evil while trumpeting the punishment of a minor one is little more than hypocrisy and corruption.
    Who do you see as being responsible for "committed acts of torture"?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #60
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Former CIA officer John Kiriakou is sentenced to 30 months in prison for leaks

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Who do you see as being responsible for "committed acts of torture"?
    In order of responsibility: people who ordered acts of torture, people who personally committed acts of torture and the people who aided and abetted them. Although obviously politically impossible, it would be legally and ethically justifiable to include both the former and sitting president of the united states. Realistically, I would like there to be an investigation and a few lower level scapegoats thrown in prison and a few high level guys fired. I'm not holding my breath for anything to happen though.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •