Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 163

Thread: Former CIA officer John Kiriakou is sentenced to 30 months in prison for leaks

  1. #131
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: Former CIA officer John Kiriakou is sentenced to 30 months in prison for leaks

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    She was a CIA Agent..
    No, she was an analyst. Case Officer Working Undercover =/= Someone Who Lives In Beltway And Writes Papers For A Living.

    and even trying to deny this is.. frankly pathetic.
    Is it as pathetic about you attempting to lecture someone in the military about the military/intelligence labor structure?

  2. #132
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 09:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,267

    Re: Former CIA officer John Kiriakou is sentenced to 30 months in prison for leaks

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Except that is NOT what happened....If you remember Bush and Cheney were at odds over this. Libby went to jail, and Bush refused to commute the sentence.
    As I recall, the President pardoned Libby? Better than a commutation, if that's the case.

  3. #133
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 09:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,267

    Re: Former CIA officer John Kiriakou is sentenced to 30 months in prison for leaks

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    No, she was an analyst. Case Officer Working Undercover =/= Someone Who Lives In Beltway And Writes Papers For A Living.



    Is it as pathetic about you attempting to lecture someone in the military about the military/intelligence labor structure?
    I think you're wrong about Plame's job description. She worked to some extent in foreign countries and with foreign assets.

  4. #134
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Former CIA officer John Kiriakou is sentenced to 30 months in prison for leaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Separate issue. But regardless of my minute by minute notes, I'd know if my boss asked met to out CIA personnel. You minimalize the crime because you don't really want to know.

    Prove that is what happened.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #135
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Former CIA officer John Kiriakou is sentenced to 30 months in prison for leaks

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Prove that is what happened.
    Stay focused j. First we must agree it s possible. Once we do that, Libby's testimony takes on meaning, and we have to consider the charges against him of which he was convicted.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #136
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Former CIA officer John Kiriakou is sentenced to 30 months in prison for leaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Stay focused j. First we must agree it s possible. Once we do that, Libby's testimony takes on meaning, and we have to consider the charges against him of which he was convicted.

    No, no....You don't get to do that pal....You said

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley
    ...I'd know if my boss asked met to out CIA personnel.
    Clearly making a declarative statement that you think that Cheney told him to out a CIA agent, when we know, and it was known at the time WHO outed Valarie Plame...That's pure BULL ****!!!!!

    So why don't you just drop the dishonest crap Joe.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #137
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Former CIA officer John Kiriakou is sentenced to 30 months in prison for leaks

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    No, no....You don't get to do that pal....You said



    Clearly making a declarative statement that you think that Cheney told him to out a CIA agent, when we know, and it was known at the time WHO outed Valarie Plame...That's pure BULL ****!!!!!

    So why don't you just drop the dishonest crap Joe.
    I would know. So would you. I don't think either of us are brain damaged.

    And, I don't know if Cheney, but the charge against Libby is that he hindered knowing. He was convicted of that. J, I'm not he one being dishonest, but the way some throw that word around, we might have to define it.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #138
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Former CIA officer John Kiriakou is sentenced to 30 months in prison for leaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I would know. So would you. I don't think either of us are brain damaged.

    And, I don't know if Cheney, but the charge against Libby is that he hindered knowing. He was convicted of that. J, I'm not he one being dishonest, but the way some throw that word around, we might have to define it.

    "Memory can be unreliable, and misstatements can happen despite pure intentions. It’s only fair game to point this out.
    So say Valerie Plame Wilson, former CIA case manager and Vanity Fair cover girl, and her husband, Joseph C. Wilson IV, former ambassador to Gabon and extravagant self-promoter. Too bad the Wilsons, a power-mad federal prosecutor, an officious federal judge, a confused jury and a badly misled president wouldn’t apply those same common-sense considerations to I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby, wrongly convicted of perjury in the case stemming from State Department official Richard Armitage’s public identification of Mrs. Wilson as a CIA employee.
    For the very first time since his conviction, Mr. Libby - former chief of staff to then-Vice President Dick Cheney - went on the record about his case.
    As both Wilsons tried to explain away, each of them has been caught making significant false claims. Each claimed memory played tricks on them. The ambassador even justified one of his key falsehoods as “a little literary flair.” Yet neither Wilson was convicted of a felony. Mr. Libby was. He paid a quarter-million-dollar fine, served 400 hours of community service and had his law license taken away. All of this over a single dispute about whether his memory or that of TV journalist Tim Russert was correct, about a months-past conversation that had nothing to do with the actual leak of Mrs. Wilson’s name.
    Never mind that Mr. Russert’s own memory had proved flagrantly untrustworthy in a previous instance. Never mind that equally famous journalist Bob Woodward testified that his own notes of a near-simultaneous conversation with Mr. Libby indicated that Mr. Woodward might have said to Mr. Libby what Mr. Libby remembered being told by Mr. Russert - in other words, that the conversations easily and innocently could have become conflated in Mr. Libby’s mind. And never mind that Mr. Libby was never shown to have a motive for lying about his conversation with Mr. Russert.
    In our interviews, Mr. Libby explicitly and repeatedly asserted his innocence of knowingly misleading investigators. To this day, he says he thinks it was Russert who mentioned Mrs. Wilson’s name to him - but that either way, he remembers being surprised at hearing it from a journalist.
    “America’s leading expert on the science of memory, Harvard professor Daniel Schacter, reviewed my case,” Mr. Libby said, “and he concluded that, ‘As someone who has studied memory for a lifetime, I could not render a fair decision based on the evidence before the jury.’”
    U.S. District Judge Reggie B. Walton did not allow the Libby defense team to introduce scientific testimony about how memory works, and jurors later said they would have liked to have heard such evidence.
    “What’s startling,” Mr. Libby said last week, “is that, at the dawn of the 21st century, we had a trial that excluded relevant, scientific evidence. And it’s startling that the jury was prevented from hearing about the very kinds of evidence that scientists say are critical to understanding what happened.”


    Read more: HILLYER: Scooter Libby, on the record - Washington Times
    Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter


    So, an expert on memory wasn't allowed to testify, and says that he couldn't render a fair decision, but you somehow can?

    Yes, define honesty for us Joe.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #139
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Former CIA officer John Kiriakou is sentenced to 30 months in prison for leaks

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    "Memory can be unreliable, and misstatements can happen despite pure intentions. It’s only fair game to point this out.
    So say Valerie Plame Wilson, former CIA case manager and Vanity Fair cover girl, and her husband, Joseph C. Wilson IV, former ambassador to Gabon and extravagant self-promoter. Too bad the Wilsons, a power-mad federal prosecutor, an officious federal judge, a confused jury and a badly misled president wouldn’t apply those same common-sense considerations to I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby, wrongly convicted of perjury in the case stemming from State Department official Richard Armitage’s public identification of Mrs. Wilson as a CIA employee.
    For the very first time since his conviction, Mr. Libby - former chief of staff to then-Vice President Dick Cheney - went on the record about his case.
    As both Wilsons tried to explain away, each of them has been caught making significant false claims. Each claimed memory played tricks on them. The ambassador even justified one of his key falsehoods as “a little literary flair.” Yet neither Wilson was convicted of a felony. Mr. Libby was. He paid a quarter-million-dollar fine, served 400 hours of community service and had his law license taken away. All of this over a single dispute about whether his memory or that of TV journalist Tim Russert was correct, about a months-past conversation that had nothing to do with the actual leak of Mrs. Wilson’s name.
    Never mind that Mr. Russert’s own memory had proved flagrantly untrustworthy in a previous instance. Never mind that equally famous journalist Bob Woodward testified that his own notes of a near-simultaneous conversation with Mr. Libby indicated that Mr. Woodward might have said to Mr. Libby what Mr. Libby remembered being told by Mr. Russert - in other words, that the conversations easily and innocently could have become conflated in Mr. Libby’s mind. And never mind that Mr. Libby was never shown to have a motive for lying about his conversation with Mr. Russert.
    In our interviews, Mr. Libby explicitly and repeatedly asserted his innocence of knowingly misleading investigators. To this day, he says he thinks it was Russert who mentioned Mrs. Wilson’s name to him - but that either way, he remembers being surprised at hearing it from a journalist.
    “America’s leading expert on the science of memory, Harvard professor Daniel Schacter, reviewed my case,” Mr. Libby said, “and he concluded that, ‘As someone who has studied memory for a lifetime, I could not render a fair decision based on the evidence before the jury.’”
    U.S. District Judge Reggie B. Walton did not allow the Libby defense team to introduce scientific testimony about how memory works, and jurors later said they would have liked to have heard such evidence.
    “What’s startling,” Mr. Libby said last week, “is that, at the dawn of the 21st century, we had a trial that excluded relevant, scientific evidence. And it’s startling that the jury was prevented from hearing about the very kinds of evidence that scientists say are critical to understanding what happened.”


    Read more: HILLYER: Scooter Libby, on the record - Washington Times
    Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter


    So, an expert on memory wasn't allowed to testify, and says that he couldn't render a fair decision, but you somehow can?

    Yes, define honesty for us Joe.
    Yes I can. So can you. I remember precisely being charged with investigating changes in developmental education at my school. I know what I was asked to do. So would you. You and others try to single on the smaller facts and then try to apply that to the issue at hand. It doesn't work. On the larger issue, Libby knew one way or the other, and so would we. Pretending that the misdirection to smaller issues means he wouldn't is more dishonest.


    and remember, that testimony wasn't allowed. I wonder, in terms of honesty, if there might be a reason that would shoot down your claim. I'll try to look later.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #140
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Former CIA officer John Kiriakou is sentenced to 30 months in prison for leaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Yes I can. So can you. I remember precisely being charged with investigating changes in developmental education at my school. I know what I was asked to do. So would you.
    All fine, except I am sure that investigating changes at your school, is far different than being questioned by a Federal Prosecutor about a passing conversation that happened some 15 months earlier, without notes, and with the two other subjects of that conversation also not being sure who heard what from whom (supposedly)....Not the same at all.

    You and others try to single on the smaller facts and then try to apply that to the issue at hand. It doesn't work. On the larger issue, Libby knew one way or the other, and so would we. Pretending that the misdirection to smaller issues means he wouldn't is more dishonest.
    Nonsense Joe, what is dishonest about this is your trying to take for granted that Libby was prosecuted for something other than what he was...Do you even know what he was prosecuted for? Hint, it's in the article I gave you.

    and remember, that testimony wasn't allowed. I wonder, in terms of honesty, if there might be a reason that would shoot down your claim. I'll try to look later.
    Yes, testimony that would have cleared Libby. The fact that you are in here trying to tie Libby to the outing of Plame, when we know who outed Plame is not only patently dishonest, it is just plain a lie.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •