Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
Results 141 to 150 of 150

Thread: 'Enough is enough,' Feinstein says in proposing new gun ban [W:93]

  1. #141
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: 'Enough is enough,' Feinstein says in proposing new gun ban [W:93]

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    You still haven't bothered to read the proposed bill I see. Once again, for your edification, the guns you already own are grandfathered.
    OK, let;s try this. Why do you think there would be a ban on new production of firearms with a grandfathering of existing ones but a requirement to register them? How does that do anything at all for situations like Sandy Hook?

    I'll save you a few pages of twisting in the wind. It doesn't. As it stands the government has no provision for federal registration except for Class III stuff. So what would be the purpose for registering guns that are already out there? And why would we tie this registration to medical records? Do you think it's out of convenience, or do you think that certain medical situations may lead to confiscation? Something like treatment for depression? And do you honestly think these cases will be ruled on a case by case basis or do you think it might be something broader than that?\

    For instance, I have had marriage counselling. Does that simply mean a check mark in the "has received psychological treatment" box which might preclude gun ownership?

    Now consider how many people who own guns who might not seek advice based on this. Do you want people refusing counselling because they are afraid of having thousands of dollars of equipment confiscated? Because you know there will be no offset for the expenses. It's about time we got honest about this, don't you think?

  2. #142
    Sage
    BretJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:16 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,364

    Re: 'Enough is enough,' Feinstein says in proposing new gun ban [W:93]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Or change in general.

    Guns too often just give a false sense of security.
    As does taking them away.
    The opposite of hero is not villain, it is "bystander"
    " In doing what we ought we deserve no praise, because it is our duty." -Aurelius Augustine
    "But why do they use them to make Brawndo??!!"

  3. #143
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: 'Enough is enough,' Feinstein says in proposing new gun ban [W:93]

    Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
    OK, let;s try this. Why do you think there would be a ban on new production of firearms with a grandfathering of existing ones but a requirement to register them? How does that do anything at all for situations like Sandy Hook?

    I'll save you a few pages of twisting in the wind. It doesn't. As it stands the government has no provision for federal registration except for Class III stuff. So what would be the purpose for registering guns that are already out there? And why would we tie this registration to medical records? Do you think it's out of convenience, or do you think that certain medical situations may lead to confiscation? Something like treatment for depression? And do you honestly think these cases will be ruled on a case by case basis or do you think it might be something broader than that?\

    For instance, I have had marriage counselling. Does that simply mean a check mark in the "has received psychological treatment" box which might preclude gun ownership?

    Now consider how many people who own guns who might not seek advice based on this. Do you want people refusing counselling because they are afraid of having thousands of dollars of equipment confiscated? Because you know there will be no offset for the expenses. It's about time we got honest about this, don't you think?
    And that is if they don't just outright lie. I for one will not comply with a national registration on guns I currently have and when seeing the shrink, I will simply say that I don't own any if she asks.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  4. #144
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: 'Enough is enough,' Feinstein says in proposing new gun ban [W:93]

    The short story is that it makes no difference if someone says "hey, nobody has said they are taking away your guns". The fact is our government (and especially this administration) is known for lying to us. It is clear that the measures being taken now will do nothing to address the shooting we have seen which begs the question "why do it then?" And "Oh, but you get to keep whatever you have now" is just a softened approach with the intent of getting to people to believe that this will only affect "the other guy". You know, like "we are only going to raise taxes on the top 2%" or "your health care costs will go down by $2500 a year" or if we pass this stimulus unemployment will stay below 8%".

    Any of this getting any clearer yet? In each of these instances the exceptions that were promised never happened. And when people saw their paychecks shrink at the beginning of the year, we even had people who were affected by the new higher tax rates defending it, claiming that it wasn't actually an increase, it was just some reductions that expired. The fact is in December your check was bigger, and ain January when it got smaller it was because a higher portion went to the government. Paint it any color you like, if the amount you employer pays for your service is the same, and the government gets more of it it's a tax increase.

    So here is where we are:

    The government lies and we can prove it.

    Historically gun registration ALWAYS leads to confiscation

    Members of the current administration have gone on record in the past clearly stating that they would have an all out ban if they could get away with it.


    So there you go. This is why you will get NO movement on this issue from us on the right who understand history. No small step, to big step, no reframing about what the supposed intent is. If you are against guns, don't buy one. If you are afraid of others who own guns, move to a gun free zone like New York or Chicago where there are none and there is no gun violence. We will not be giving ours up. Not a little, not ever.

  5. #145
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: 'Enough is enough,' Feinstein says in proposing new gun ban [W:93]

    Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
    OK, let;s try this. Why do you think there would be a ban on new production of firearms with a grandfathering of existing ones but a requirement to register them? How does that do anything at all for situations like Sandy Hook?

    I'll save you a few pages of twisting in the wind. It doesn't. As it stands the government has no provision for federal registration except for Class III stuff. So what would be the purpose for registering guns that are already out there? And why would we tie this registration to medical records? Do you think it's out of convenience, or do you think that certain medical situations may lead to confiscation? Something like treatment for depression? And do you honestly think these cases will be ruled on a case by case basis or do you think it might be something broader than that?\

    For instance, I have had marriage counselling. Does that simply mean a check mark in the "has received psychological treatment" box which might preclude gun ownership?

    Now consider how many people who own guns who might not seek advice based on this. Do you want people refusing counselling because they are afraid of having thousands of dollars of equipment confiscated? Because you know there will be no offset for the expenses. It's about time we got honest about this, don't you think?

    Honestly, I think your premise is coo-coo for cocoa puffs. I also don't think Feinstein's bill is even likely to pass. I'm thinking Lautenberg's HCM ban bill is much more likely to pass, which is just reestablishment of the 1994 HCM ban.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #146
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: 'Enough is enough,' Feinstein says in proposing new gun ban [W:93]

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Honestly, I think your premise is coo-coo for cocoa puffs. I also don't think Feinstein's bill is even likely to pass. I'm thinking Lautenberg's HCM ban bill is much more likely to pass, which is just reestablishment of the 1994 HCM ban.

    Well, I think going after guns to "save the children" is a seriously flawed premise when we are paying Planned Parenthood to murder 334,000 of them a year. I'm more than willing to save as many children as possible, and now that the liberals have brought it up I think we need to defund PP immediately. For the children.

    See, I was perfectly willing to let you guys continue to behave immorally and kill your kids for convenience. After all, no one is forcing me to participate (short of ignoring where my tax money is going). As for the guns issue if you guys don't want them around then you could establish gun free zones where you live and work. The problem is the left doesn't work like this. Rather than try to come up with a solution that works for everyone they prefer to decide what they want (while being intellectually dishonest about whether or not what they are suggesting is likely to work) and then push their opinion on everybody else as well. It's the arrogance that gets in the way. The left think they are not only the more informed and intelligent side (wrong on both counts) but also know what is better for everybody even if they don't have a clue what the other side is thinking. And given the opportunity to simple ASK the other side what they think and want they simply draw their own conclusions because anyone who does not agree with them can not possibly have a valid perspective.

  7. #147
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: 'Enough is enough,' Feinstein says in proposing new gun ban [W:93]

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Honestly, I think your premise is coo-coo for cocoa puffs. I also don't think Feinstein's bill is even likely to pass. I'm thinking Lautenberg's HCM ban bill is much more likely to pass, which is just reestablishment of the 1994 HCM ban.
    Then why even present it?

    In 1994 this passed because it was not challenged. In other words no ruling, regardless of if the legislation fits with the Constitution or not means it stands. Because of the incremental push the left has been using lately, expect even a redo of the previous ban to be challenged.

    As for Feinstein's bill, it may not be intended to pass. But then the idea would be to propose something so over the top that it couldn't possibly stand, then use that as a starting point to lead to something less offensive but still wrong. Well, considering the tactics used so far I would expect her bill to get shot down and when the "alternative" is offered up expect a counterproposal that is even less restrictive than what we have now. Coming back to the center has not helped with you guys. honest compromise just results in more pressure, more dishonest distraction, more reframing, along with a healthy dose of " save the children " to try to guilt people in to accepting it.

    So lets look at a liberal perspective pushed aaaalllllll the way out to the extreme. Let's consider that if abortions were free, even more available and the right would stop pointing out that IT IS MURDER that ALL children could be aborted and there would be no school shooting because there would be no children in the schools. From a logical point of view this fits with the left. See how I did that? No live children means no children to be killed. And isn't that the point? Because if you honestly want to SAVE the children you might consider not killing them by the hundreds of thousands with the government's full blessing and support. Do you honestly think a government that supports and in fact aids in killing children cares about 20 of them in a school?

    It is not the children they are trying to save, it is themselves. They know that more and more people are upset with their power grabs and skirting of the Constitution, they want to disarm the people before they get fed up and take out the REAL criminals, the politicians and bankers. It's coming people, and it isn't going to be pretty.

  8. #148
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 'Enough is enough,' Feinstein says in proposing new gun ban [W:93]

    Quote Originally Posted by BretJ View Post
    As does taking them away.
    I would agree. That is one reason we should all be a little less emotional.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #149
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: 'Enough is enough,' Feinstein says in proposing new gun ban [W:93]

    Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
    Then why even present it?

    In 1994 this passed because it was not challenged. In other words no ruling, regardless of if the legislation fits with the Constitution or not means it stands. Because of the incremental push the left has been using lately, expect even a redo of the previous ban to be challenged.

    As for Feinstein's bill, it may not be intended to pass. But then the idea would be to propose something so over the top that it couldn't possibly stand, then use that as a starting point to lead to something less offensive but still wrong. Well, considering the tactics used so far I would expect her bill to get shot down and when the "alternative" is offered up expect a counterproposal that is even less restrictive than what we have now. Coming back to the center has not helped with you guys. honest compromise just results in more pressure, more dishonest distraction, more reframing, along with a healthy dose of " save the children " to try to guilt people in to accepting it.

    So lets look at a liberal perspective pushed aaaalllllll the way out to the extreme. Let's consider that if abortions were free, even more available and the right would stop pointing out that IT IS MURDER that ALL children could be aborted and there would be no school shooting because there would be no children in the schools. From a logical point of view this fits with the left. See how I did that? No live children means no children to be killed. And isn't that the point? Because if you honestly want to SAVE the children you might consider not killing them by the hundreds of thousands with the government's full blessing and support. Do you honestly think a government that supports and in fact aids in killing children cares about 20 of them in a school?

    It is not the children they are trying to save, it is themselves. They know that more and more people are upset with their power grabs and skirting of the Constitution, they want to disarm the people before they get fed up and take out the REAL criminals, the politicians and bankers. It's coming people, and it isn't going to be pretty.


    Love the imagination you use in your scenarios!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #150
    Sage
    BretJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:16 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,364

    Re: 'Enough is enough,' Feinstein says in proposing new gun ban [W:93]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I would agree. That is one reason we should all be a little less emotional.
    Could not have said it better.
    The opposite of hero is not villain, it is "bystander"
    " In doing what we ought we deserve no praise, because it is our duty." -Aurelius Augustine
    "But why do they use them to make Brawndo??!!"

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •