Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 175

Thread: In malpractice case, Catholic hospital argues fetuses arenít people

  1. #31
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:27 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,883

    Re: In malpractice case, Catholic hospital argues fetuses arenít people

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    No, there is a need. Can't have people running around harming the unborn without fear of repercussion.
    Which is the same thought around most laws. Your rights end where someone else's begin.

  2. #32
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: In malpractice case, Catholic hospital argues fetuses arenít people

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    If the hospital made the decision to save the life of the mother at the expense of the children, or could be proven to have treated the fetuses with gross negligence, then they certainly could be called to the carpet for ignoring their own dogma.

    That's not what's happening here. The question before us appears to be one of liability, not ethics or morality. Unfortunately, in our sue happy culture, even Catholic businesses have to cover their asses. If they admit liability for the fetuses, the monetary judgement would skyrocket. This hospital, rightfully, should pay a heavy price for dropping the ball and allowing a mother and her two unborn babies to die. But anti-Catholic hatred shouldn't make it a blank check.
    In that case, the churchs self-purported belief in the sanctity of life should have led it to adequately staff and train its facility. It might have done so if the sanctity of profit was less sancrosanct
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #33
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: In malpractice case, Catholic hospital argues fetuses arenít people

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    No, there is a need. Can't have people running around harming the unborn without fear of repercussion.
    In case of negligene, no one is "running around" harming fetuses
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #34
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,566

    Re: In malpractice case, Catholic hospital argues fetuses arenít people

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    Which is the same thought around most laws. Your rights end where someone else's begin.
    Your rights end exactly where the gov't says that they do. To assert otherwise is simply kidding yourself.
    ďThe reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.Ē ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  5. #35
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:27 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,883

    Re: In malpractice case, Catholic hospital argues fetuses arenít people

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    In that case, the churchs self-purported belief in the sanctity of life should have led it to adequately staff and train its facility. It might have done so if the sanctity of profit was less sancrosanct
    The hospital is non-profit. And yes, wouldn't it be nice if doctors could diagnose a pulmonary embolism when you walk into the room.

  6. #36
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: In malpractice case, Catholic hospital argues fetuses arenít people

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    The hospital is non-profit. And yes, wouldn't it be nice if doctors could diagnose a pulmonary embolism when you walk into the room.
    So what? The entire Church is "non-profit" but that hasn't stopped them from accumulating vast wealth.

    And no one expects them to diagnose PE "when you walk into the room", but it shouldn't take an hour to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #37
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:27 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,883

    Re: In malpractice case, Catholic hospital argues fetuses arenít people

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    So what? The entire Church is "non-profit" but that hasn't stopped them from accumulating vast wealth.

    And no one expects them to diagnose PE "when you walk into the room", but it shouldn't take an hour to do so.
    And it didn't take an hour. They diagnosed it in under and hour, but she was also already dead in that timeframe too.

    Which "Church" are you talking about? CHI isn't funded by the Catholic Church

  8. #38
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: In malpractice case, Catholic hospital argues fetuses arenít people

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    And it didn't take an hour. They diagnosed it in under and hour, but she was also already dead in that timeframe too.

    Which "Church" are you talking about? CHI isn't funded by the Catholic Church
    She should have had a Ceasarian, which could have taken place in that time frame.

    And CHI has $15billion in assets, but they can't spare the money to adequately staff their facility.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #39
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Re: In malpractice case, Catholic hospital argues fetuses arenít people

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    In that case, the churchs self-purported belief in the sanctity of life should have led it to adequately staff and train its facility. It might have done so if the sanctity of profit was less sancrosanct
    h

    Bit judgmental, don't you think? Have you heard the obstetricians side of the story? Many hospitals don't have a neonatal ward, our local Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic hospital does not, and obstetric cases are referred to the nearby Women's and Children's hospital, or to Lafayette General Medical Center. It's possible this was a small local hospital with basic services not capable of handling all comers without assistance. The fact that the on call obstetrician didn't call in and that there was no backup plan is troubling regardless of the reason, and at a minimum makes the Catholic hospital liable for the death of the mother.

    Spinning this out as an overall indictment of Catholicism is juvenile. People make mistakes and people make bad decisions.
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

  10. #40
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Re: In malpractice case, Catholic hospital argues fetuses arenít people

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    She should have had a Ceasarian, which could have taken place in that time frame.

    And CHI has $15billion in assets, but they can't spare the money to adequately staff their facility.
    They have 170 hospitals. All of the land and buildings and equipment inside them add up to that much. That doesn't mean they have 15 billion ready cash to spend.
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •