Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 252

Thread: Pentagon to overturn ban on women in military combat roles

  1. #61
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Pentagon to overturn ban on women in military combat roles

    Yes, in fact group think in a military unit, or a basketball team might be a good thing. I think military training does evolove, but as long as humans kill humans in combat, there will be constants. The strongest, smartest and best trained tend to survive. Hand to hand combat is mainly upper body strength, so is carrying ammo or your buddy. Nope, I think the training should be the same for both, and if changed, channge it due to changes in combat, not to accomadate women.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Having done something a certain way doesn't necessarily mean it is the best way or that it is what is needed. Is it possible the military suffers from group think?
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  2. #62
    Professor
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    So. California
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,936

    Re: Pentagon to overturn ban on women in military combat roles

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I don't think they're gonna send me from my PhD to 2nd grade. What level of education do you have? I'm sure it's not close to mine. So, why don't you go back to school. I hate when uneducated people talk crap about education.


    Look dude, you claim that the military is preventing women from being promoted. That has nothing to do with the subject. You were just throwing some anti-military crap out there and hoping it would stick. This is monkey throwing crap level of debate, and you're off topic:



    Then, you hit military women with the scare quotes:



    Nice little attempt at an anti-military hit job, but you only succeeded in clearly displaying your own prejudice. So, military women are not real women, huh?

    Reading comprehension is crucial:

    I said: This all makes me think that some are trying to prevent women from getting military promotions.
    No where in the sentence did it say "the military is preventing".


    I said: Because after all, im sure many men hate the idea of being told what to do by a "woman".
    No where in that sentence did i say all men. Again, look up the definition of "many".


    I said: I used women in quotes as a way to show how many men say it in a misogynist way.
    But you ignored that anyway.


    someone needs to file a hurt feelings report.

  3. #63
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Pentagon to overturn ban on women in military combat roles

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    Yes, in fact group think in a military unit, or a basketball team might be a good thing. I think military training does evolove, but as long as humans kill humans in combat, there will be constants. The strongest, smartest and best trained tend to survive. Hand to hand combat is mainly upper body strength, so is carrying ammo or your buddy. Nope, I think the training should be the same for both, and if changed, channge it due to changes in combat, not to accomadate women.
    I was told when I enter the military that it was designed for the smaller, quicker male. Strength was not measured in terms on mass and total poundage that one could lift. I was stronger than most, but larger, less flexible.

    As for group think being a good thing, I have to disagree. A basketball team can get locked into a belief and slow to change when needed. All things should be question from time to time.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #64
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Pentagon to overturn ban on women in military combat roles

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Even hear of continuous improvement? Resting on one's laurels is usually a bad idea. As it has been stated it has been done the same way for a long time, wouldn't questioning that be appropriate. I'm not saying change to change, or even to change at all, but to question it.
    Allowing the creation of coed combat arms units isn't, "improvement". History has proven that it doesn't work and decreases combat effectiveness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #65
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Pentagon to overturn ban on women in military combat roles

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Allowing the creation of coed combat arms units isn't, "improvement". History has proven that it doesn't work and decreases combat effectiveness.
    I'm not sure that's true, but what I asked was to question assumptions.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #66
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Pentagon to overturn ban on women in military combat roles

    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    someone needs to file a hurt feelings report.
    When you get done with that 2nd grade assignment (and, really, I don't look down on you for trying to get an education) and are no longer scared of "women", let me know.

  7. #67
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Pentagon to overturn ban on women in military combat roles

    I dont have a problem with your opinion, I just generally dont agree. I dont think the militray has a good reason to change combat training, we are pretty damn good at it. I dont think that is to keep women out. I do think women should be allowed in combat but for their sakes they should have the same training. I do not think most militray men really think about the superior officer being a female. Back when I was in I just seen the rank, I dont think I thought much about the gender.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I was told when I enter the military that it was designed for the smaller, quicker male. Strength was not measured in terms on mass and total poundage that one could lift. I was stronger than most, but larger, less flexible.

    As for group think being a good thing, I have to disagree. A basketball team can get locked into a belief and slow to change when needed. All things should be question from time to time.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  8. #68
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Pentagon to overturn ban on women in military combat roles

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I'm not sure that's true, but what I asked was to question assumptions.
    It's not an assumption, that mixed gender units suffer from decreased combat effectiveness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #69
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Pentagon to overturn ban on women in military combat roles

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    I dont have a problem with your opinion, I just generally dont agree. I dont think the militray has a good reason to change combat training, we are pretty damn good at it. I dont think that is to keep women out. I do think women should be allowed in combat but for their sakes they should have the same training. I do not think most militray men really think about the superior officer being a female. Back when I was in I just seen the rank, I dont think I thought much about the gender.
    Back when I was in, I saw a signal corps O-3 and I damn well noticed her gender.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #70
    Professor
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    So. California
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,936

    Re: Pentagon to overturn ban on women in military combat roles

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    When you get done with that 2nd grade assignment (and, really, I don't look down on you for trying to get an education) and are no longer scared of "women", let me know.

    Ok, i did the work for you here. I even offer you the definition of all, too.

    Many:
    Many - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

    ALL:
    All - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

    my work is done.

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •