Page 8 of 45 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 448

Thread: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 150]

  1. #71
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that doesn't save your total failure.
    non-responsive response noted

    Do you really believe that a place where guns are allowed is a GFZ?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #72
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,680
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Try again
    Do you know what that means?

    (b) It is a defense to prosecution under Subsections (a)(1)-(4) that the actor possessed a firearm while in the actual discharge of his official duties as a member of the armed forces or national guard or a guard employed by a penal institution, or an officer of the court.

    PENAL CODE**CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS
    That portion of the policy refers to the above exceptions. It is a gun free zone, unless you are a LEO or authorized security guard. And here is the portion of the law that prohibits the carriage of the weapons at a school:

    Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
    (1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
    (2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
    (a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:
    (1) the handgun is in plain view; or
    (2) the person is:
    (A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic or boating;
    (B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or
    (C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.
    (a-2) For purposes of this section, "premises" includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.
    (a-3) For purposes of this section, "watercraft" means any boat, motorboat, vessel, or personal watercraft, other than a seaplane on water, used or capable of being used for transportation on water.
    (b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
    (c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.


    Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):
    (1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;
    (2) on the premises of a polling place on the day of an election or while early voting is in progress;
    (3) on the premises of any government court or offices utilized by the court, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the court;
    (4) on the premises of a racetrack;
    (5) in or into a secured area of an airport; or
    (6) within 1,000 feet of premises the location of which is designated by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice as a place of execution under Article 43.19, Code of Criminal Procedure, on a day that a sentence of death is set to be imposed on the designated premises and the person received notice that:
    (A) going within 1,000 feet of the premises with a weapon listed under this subsection was prohibited; or
    (B) possessing a weapon listed under this subsection within 1,000 feet of the premises was prohibited.
    (b) It is a defense to prosecution under Subsections (a)(1)-(4) that the actor possessed a firearm while in the actual discharge of his official duties as a member of the armed forces or national guard or a guard employed by a penal institution, or an officer of the court.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  3. #73
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,605

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    according to 700 WLW at 6 PM or its sister station (550 KRC-cannot recall which one the wife had on in the car) it was a gun free zone

    don't know where they got that but others are saying it

    Gun-Free Zone: Shooting at Lone Star College in Houston

    t is the policy of this [college] System to prohibit the carrying of firearms, knives, or clubs onto any of the System's facilities. The possession of firearms, illegal knives, and prohibited knives on System facilities including parking areas and publicly accessed facilities is a violation of criminal law and Board policies.
    If it were not tragic this would be funny in a sardonic sort of way. two guys engage in a shoot out in a college building and you pronounce it a gun free zone as if ten more guns blazing away would have been better. Amazing!!!!!
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #74
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    Do you know what that means?



    That portion of the policy refers to the above exceptions. It is a gun free zone, unless you are a LEO or authorized security guard. And here is the portion of the law that prohibits the carriage of the weapons at a school:
    IOW, a GFZ is a place where people can carrry guns!!
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #75
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    If it were not tragic this would be funny in a sardonic sort of way. two guys engage in a shoot out in a college building and you pronounce it a gun free zone as if ten more guns blazing away would have been better. Amazing!!!!!
    I bet you claim Sandy Hook school was not a gun free zone because Lanza brought a rifle and two pistols to the school-shot his way into the place and then killed a bunch of unarmed adults and innocent children

    we don't know the facts about the shooting-we do know that those who obey the law were unarmed



  6. #76
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,680
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    IOW, a GFZ is a place where people can carrry guns!!
    No. Not at all. Guns are prohibited. But, like every rule, there are exceptions. Those exceptions are employees of the government and their designates. Do you actually think a gun free zone is a place where no one, not even law enforcement officers can carry a gun? Because that would mean that when a school shooting happens, the law enforcement officers would have to drop their guns and fight the gunman unarmed. That would be just stupid. Do you actually believe that's how a gun free zone works? Or are you more interested in turning the debate into a debate of nuances because the breadth of your argument is disproved by this bit of anecdotal evidence?
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  7. #77
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    No. Not at all. Guns are prohibited. But, like every rule, there are exceptions. Those exceptions are employees of the government and their designates. Do you actually think a gun free zone is a place where no one, not even law enforcement officers can carry a gun? Because that would mean that when a school shooting happens, the law enforcement officers would have to drop their guns and fight the gunman unarmed. That would be just stupid. Do you actually believe that's how a gun free zone works? Or are you more interested in turning the debate into a debate of nuances because the breadth of your argument is disproved by this bit of anecdotal evidence?
    The argument is that shooters choose places where there are no guns so that no one can defend themselves. So now you want me to believe that they chose a place where there were guns?

    Admit it! The GFZ status (or lack thereof) had *nothing* to do with this event, and that some people are using this violence to promote their political ideology
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #78
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The argument is that shooters choose places where there are no guns so that no one can defend themselves. So now you want me to believe that they chose a place where there were guns?

    Admit it! The GFZ status (or lack thereof) had *nothing* to do with this event, and that some people are using this violence to promote their political ideology
    bottom line-the campus prohibited carrying guns on campus by non LEOs that makes it a GFZ and you just wasted a lot of bandwidth ignoring that reality



  9. #79
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    bottom line-the campus prohibited carrying guns on campus by non LEOs that makes it a GFZ and you just wasted a lot of bandwidth ignoring that reality
    Like I said, the GFZ status (or lack thereof) had *nothing* to do with this event, and some people are using this violence to promote their political ideology
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #80
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,680
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The argument is that shooters choose places where there are no guns so that no one can defend themselves. So now you want me to believe that they chose a place where there were guns?
    No. There are no guns allowed. If this happened in a mall, there is a greater chance of a citizen having a gun. At the school, only a law enforcement officer or security guard will have a weapon. Since they are required to be in uniform when they carry in a gun free zone, only a quick scan of the people in the immediate area is needed to determine who might be a threat to the gunman.

    But you did answer my question. You are trying to make this an argument of nuances because the second amendment supporters have been harping on the fact that these shootings are more likely to happen in gun free zones. You are losing the argument when another high profile shooting happens in another gun free zone. You are the only one that believes there are no guns in a gun free zone. And I don't think you actually believe that. No one ever claimed there are zero guns, just far fewer.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

Page 8 of 45 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •