Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35434445
Results 441 to 448 of 448

Thread: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 150]

  1. #441
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    I think that is more to do with the "norm" being to not allow teachers to carry, but with more schools allowing teachers to carry we may soon find that evidence one way or another. I think personally that allowing teachers to carry can prevent or lessen the devastating affects of a shooter in a school.
    I've seen of these guys. I don't think so.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #442
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I've seen of these guys. I don't think so.
    While a small sample, I think they have a better track record so far in the ability to deal with a shooter than most public schools do IMO.

  3. #443
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    While a small sample, I think they have a better track record so far in the ability to deal with a shooter than most public schools do IMO.
    Neither of us can advance that much. But I do hear many saying they don't even want to carry.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #444
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Neither of us can advance that much. But I do hear many saying they don't even want to carry.
    That's true that many don't want to carry, but I don't feel that should stop the people that want to. I understand both sides' views on it, I just think that someone armed would be in a better position to stop a gunman than someone not armed.

    Let me lay out two situations.

    #1 A shooting like we have seen where the gunman comes in and kills many students (let's say 5) for arguments sake.

    #2 A shooting where a teacher was armed and accidentally shot and killed a student while shooting at a gunman. Total killed by teacher: 1, Total killed by gunman: 3.

    Now, both those situations are horrible and both of those situations innocent people have died. Which one is better? Obviously there will be parents in both situations are going to complain because their child has died.

    However, given the number of shootings we have seen and given the number of casualties in each shooting, I really can't see a situation (short of having armed guards placed at all schools) where the situation where a teach being allowed to carry wouldn't be better.

  5. #445
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    That's true that many don't want to carry, but I don't feel that should stop the people that want to. I understand both sides' views on it, I just think that someone armed would be in a better position to stop a gunman than someone not armed.

    Let me lay out two situations.

    #1 A shooting like we have seen where the gunman comes in and kills many students (let's say 5) for arguments sake.

    #2 A shooting where a teacher was armed and accidentally shot and killed a student while shooting at a gunman. Total killed by teacher: 1, Total killed by gunman: 3.

    Now, both those situations are horrible and both of those situations innocent people have died. Which one is better? Obviously there will be parents in both situations are going to complain because their child has died.

    However, given the number of shootings we have seen and given the number of casualties in each shooting, I really can't see a situation (short of having armed guards placed at all schools) where the situation where a teach being allowed to carry wouldn't be better.
    This is the history and reason behind the recent changes to gun laws in Texas. Luby's massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  6. #446
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    That's true that many don't want to carry, but I don't feel that should stop the people that want to. I understand both sides' views on it, I just think that someone armed would be in a better position to stop a gunman than someone not armed.

    Let me lay out two situations.

    #1 A shooting like we have seen where the gunman comes in and kills many students (let's say 5) for arguments sake.

    #2 A shooting where a teacher was armed and accidentally shot and killed a student while shooting at a gunman. Total killed by teacher: 1, Total killed by gunman: 3.

    Now, both those situations are horrible and both of those situations innocent people have died. Which one is better? Obviously there will be parents in both situations are going to complain because their child has died.

    However, given the number of shootings we have seen and given the number of casualties in each shooting, I really can't see a situation (short of having armed guards placed at all schools) where the situation where a teach being allowed to carry wouldn't be better.
    You assume then teacher would hit the gunman. This is unlikely. The teacher is at a disadvantage. Excited. Scared. In a place the gunman isn't likely. Teacher misses more than once, hits three students, gunman kills teacher, and moves on. Much more likely.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #447
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You assume then teacher would hit the gunman. This is unlikely. The teacher is at a disadvantage. Excited. Scared. In a place the gunman isn't likely. Teacher misses more than once, hits three students, gunman kills teacher, and moves on. Much more likely.
    And of course you are assuming that the teacher hasn't trained with the weapon in any way. Lots of assumptions here, but the one assumption that cannot be disputed is that without a weapon, there is a higher probability that the shooter cannot be stopped.

    So unless you are advocating that an armed police officer be at every school, the shooter has the advanatage without any guns to stop him at all since police response time is still too long.

  8. #448
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    And of course you are assuming that the teacher hasn't trained with the weapon in any way. Lots of assumptions here, but the one assumption that cannot be disputed is that without a weapon, there is a higher probability that the shooter cannot be stopped.

    So unless you are advocating that an armed police officer be at every school, the shooter has the advanatage without any guns to stop him at all since police response time is still too long.
    Of all those I know, I only know one experience with a weapon, and he opposes them on campus. However, that's not a large enough sample. Do you have any evidence suggesting how many would be trained and that training would change what I suggest?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35434445

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •