Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 448

Thread: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 150]

  1. #411
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Still waiting for you to show me where I sourced Lott......
    This what I mean by you missing things. I never said you did. But your arguments run through him.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #412
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    This what I mean by you missing things. I never said you did. But your arguments run through him.
    We agree that I understand very little of what you say, like "your arguments run through him"...wtf is that?

    Logical Fallacy: Straw Man

    "Straw man" is one of the best-named fallacies, because it is memorable and vividly illustrates the nature of the fallacy. Imagine a fight in which one of the combatants sets up a man of straw, attacks it, then proclaims victory. All the while, the real opponent stands by untouched.
    So there we were discussing LoneStar allowing students to carry on campus. All of a sudden you bring up Lott, you attack Lott, you declare victory.

    Meanwhile my argument is untouched because nothing I said had anything to do with Lott.

    Go ahead and trash your straw-man Lott all you want. It does nothing to me.

  3. #413
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    We agree that I understand very little of what you say, like "your arguments run through him"...wtf is that?



    So there we were discussing LoneStar allowing students to carry on campus. All of a sudden you bring up Lott, you attack Lott, you declare victory.

    Meanwhile my argument is untouched because nothing I said had anything to do with Lott.

    Go ahead and trash your straw-man Lott all you want. It does nothing to me.
    Because Lott is largely the originator of you argument, no matter where you picked it up at. However, I've also addressed you other evidence, to which you have not replied. You misread both Harvard and the FBI, making a causal relationship error.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #414
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Anyway Jerry, something newer than your Harvard Study:

    Still, America sees far more gun violence than countries in Europe, and Canada, India and Australia, which is perhaps how it gets its bloody reputation among comparatively peaceful nations.

    Here’s how U.S. gun violence compares with the rest of the world

    National Research Council, 2004: The initial model specification, when extended to new data, does not show evidence that passage of right-to-carry laws reduces crime. The estimated effects are highly sensitive to seemingly minor changes in the model specification and control variables. No link between right-to-carry laws and changes in crime is apparent in the raw data, even in the initial sample; it is only once numerous covariates are included that the negative results in the early data emerge. While the trend models show a reduction in the crime growth rate following the adoption of right-to-carry laws, these trend reductions occur long after law adoption, casting serious doubt on the proposition that the trend models estimated in the literature reflect effects of the law change. Finally, some of the point estimates are imprecise. Thus, the committee concludes that with the current evidence it is not possible to determine that there is a causal link between the passage of right-to-carry laws and crime rates.


    FactCheck.org : Gun Rhetoric vs. Gun Facts

    You should read the second one completely and follow the links.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #415
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Because Lott is largely the originator of you argument, no matter where you picked it up at. However, I've also addressed you other evidence, to which you have not replied. You misread both Harvard and the FBI, making a causal relationship error.
    There you go with your straw man again.

    Lott is no part of anything I've ever said, and that's why you cannot show where I sourced him.

    You lied.

  6. #416
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    There you go with your straw man again.

    Lott is no part of anything I've ever said, and that's why you cannot show where I sourced him.

    You lied.
    You didn't quote him, but he is they behind those ideas. You do read every word I write?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #417
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Anyway Jerry, something newer than your Harvard Study:
    Confess to lying and we can continue. Come on, show some honesty for once. Give me some indication that further conversation with you will not result in you lying again. Earn that avatar by showing some integrity.

    ...or are you one of those stolen-valor types?

  8. #418
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Confess to lying and we can continue. Come on, show some honesty for once. Give me some indication that further conversation with you will not result in you lying again. Earn that avatar by showing some integrity.
    I vent lied, you merely are confused. I think you're hiding behind your false outrage. I never Said you outed Lott.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #419
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You didn't quote him, but he is they behind those ideas.
    He can be behind an idea out in the world while not behind my argument here on this thread.

    If I don't source him, he's therefore not part of my argument.

    See the difference?

    If Hitler said it was cold outside right now, I would have to agree. That doesn't mean I'm sourcing Hitler for the weather.

  10. #420
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I vent lied, you merely are confused. I think you're hiding behind your false outrage. I never Said you outed Lott.
    Capitol "S", what is that supposed to mean?

Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •