Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 448

Thread: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 150]

  1. #361
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Lott's where this thought is bred from.
    Sigmund Freud is where Psychology bred from, and most of his work has been falsified and rejected, yet Psychology rages on.

    Alchemy, attempts to turn lead into gold, is where chemistry bred from. Today we see the foolishness of the effort, yet Chemistry continues on.

    Your point?

    Just because someone says "more guns = less crime" doesn't mean they're referencing Lott. Check all my links, not one of them lead you to Lott's work.

  2. #362
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are wrong. the anti gun side constantly lies. we don't.
    Only in the bubble.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #363
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Sigmund Freud is where Psychology bred from, and most of his work has been falsified and rejected, yet Psychology rages on.

    Alchemy, attempts to turn lead into gold, is where chemistry bred from. Today we see the foolishness of the effort, yet Chemistry continues on.

    Your point?
    Hats true, but not by repeating his claim. They recognized the mistakes and moved in another direction.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #364
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,679

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Only in the bubble.
    I am wondering if you are going to actually take a stand on all these gun restriction proposals as opposed to merely complaining about Lott when the ARC has nothing approaching his study to support their gun restrictionism



  5. #365
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Hats true, but not by repeating his claim. They recognized the mistakes and moved in another direction.
    As did I with Lott, which is why I don't source his work to make my argument. I source the CDC, Harvard, the FBI, and other credible sources. I do not source Lott. So go ahead and rip the guy to shreds, it won't effect anything I've claimed in the least.

    I'm more interested to see you try to debunk Harvard, whom I have sourced.

  6. #366
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I am wondering if you are going to actually take a stand on all these gun restriction proposals as opposed to merely complaining about Lott when the ARC has nothing approaching his study to support their gun restrictionism
    I have. They don't belong in schools. That's the debate Jerry and I are having. During which he claimed states with right to carry laws are safer. This was Lott's work. It's not valid.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #367
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,679

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I have. They don't belong in schools. That's the debate Jerry and I are having. During which he claimed states with right to carry laws are safer. This was Lott's work. It's not valid.
    The only way to stop someone who has already decided he is going to die is to kill him before he kills lots of other people. and the only way to do that is to have armed responders on site at schools



  8. #368
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I have. They don't belong in schools. That's the debate Jerry and I are having. During which he claimed states with right to carry laws are safer. This was Lott's work. It's not valid.
    I never sourced Lott.

    I sourced Harvard, I sourced The Washington Times, and for flaver I posted a 6min video of a guy who sources the FBI and the UK's official crime statistics record.

    Here is that post again, you tell me where Lott is used....


    *****

    Sources used in the video:




    Harvard Study: Gun Control Is Counterproductive
    Would Banning Firearms Reduce Murder and Suicide?
    A Review of International and Some Domestic Evidence.
    Din B. Kates* and Gary Mauser**


    The study, which just appeared in Volume 30, Number 2 of the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy (pp. 649-694), set out to answer the question in its title: "Would Banning Firearms Reduce Murder and Suicide? A Review of International and Some Domestic Evidence." Contrary to conventional wisdom, and the sniffs of our more sophisticated and generally anti-gun counterparts across the pond, the answer is "no." And not just no, as in there is no correlation between gun ownership and violent crime, but an emphatic no, showing a negative correlation: as gun ownership increases, murder and suicide decreases.

    The findings of two criminologists - Prof. Don Kates and Prof. Gary Mauser - in their exhaustive study of American and European gun laws and violence rates, are telling:
    Nations with stringent anti-gun laws generally have substantially higher murder rates than those that do not. The study found that the nine European nations with the lowest rates of gun ownership (5,000 or fewer guns per 100,000 population) have a combined murder rate three times higher than that of the nine nations with the highest rates of gun ownership (at least 15,000 guns per 100,000 population)
    .
    The AWB had failed to have an impact on gun crime in the United States. A 2004 Department of Justice report concluded:
    Should it be renewed, the ban's effects on gun violence are likely to be small at best and perhaps too small for reliable measurement. [Assault weapons] were rarely used in gun crimes even before the ban.


    Here are specific incidents of active shooters being stopped by armed civilians:

    • A 1997 high school shooting in Pearl, Miss., was halted by the school's vice principal after he retrieved the Colt .45 he kept in his truck.
    • A 1998 middle school shooting ended when a man living next door heard gunfire and apprehended the shooter with his shotgun.
    • A 2002 terrorist attack at an Israeli school was quickly stopped by an armed teacher and a school guard.
    • A 2002 law school shooting in Grundy, Va., came to an abrupt conclusion when students carrying firearms confronted the shooter.
    • A 2007 mall shooting in Salt Lake City, Utah, ended when an armed off-duty police officer intervened.
    • A 2009 workplace shooting in Houston, Texas, was halted by two coworkers who carried concealed handguns.
    • A 2012 church shooting in Aurora, Colo., was stopped by a member of the congregation carrying a gun.
    • At the recent mall shooting in Portland, Ore., the gunman took his own life minutes after being confronted by a shopper carrying a concealed weapon.


    EDITORIAL: Guns decrease murder rates
    In Washington, the best defense is self-defense
    By THE WASHINGTON TIMES


    More guns in law-abiding hands mean less crime. The District of Columbia proves the point.
    <snip>
    Few who lived in Washington during the 1970s can forget the upswing in crime that started right after the ban was originally passed. In the five years before the 1977 ban, the murder rate fell from 37 to 27 murders per 100,000. In the five years after the gun ban went into effect, the murder rate rose back up to 35. One fact is particularly hard to ignore: D.C.'s murder rate fluctuated after 1976 but only once fell below what it was in 1976 before the ban. That aberration happened years later, in 1985.

    This correlation between the D.C. gun ban and diminished safety was not a coincidence. Look at the Windy City. Immediately after Chicago banned handguns in 1982, the murder rate, which had been falling almost continually for a decade, started to rise. Chicago's murder rate rose relative to other large cities as well. The phenomenon of higher murder rates after gun bans are passed is not just limited to the United States. Every single time a country has passed a gun ban, its murder rate soared.


    <snip>

  9. #369
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    As did I with Lott, which is why I don't source his work to make my argument. I source the CDC, Harvard, the FBI, and other credible sources. I do not source Lott. So go ahead and rip the guy to shreds, it won't effect anything I've claimed in the least.

    I'm more interested to see you try to debunk Harvard, whom I have sourced.
    CDC doesn't make the claim you cite. The make the claim of little effect of any gun regulation. Nor does the FBI back you up as they only give numbers and not reasoning.

    As for Harvard, do you mean this study:


    The study's author, Dr. David Hemenway, professor of Health Policy at Harvard School of Public Health, weighed the various risks of having a gun in the home, such as accidents, suicide, homicide, and intimidation and compared them to the potential benefits of having a firearm in a home such as deterrence and self-defense. He found that homes with guns were not safer nor did they deter more crime than those that did not have guns. Rather, having a gun in the home posed a greater threat to the family than not having a gun. In homes with children or women, the health risks were even greater.

    Study: Guns in the home offer more risk than benefit | MNN - Mother Nature Network

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #370
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    There are 11 links in that post.

    Not one of them lead you to Lott.

Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •