Page 34 of 45 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 448

Thread: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 150]

  1. #331
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Any particular reason why?
    I was thing about you:

    The estimates from their best models show right-to-carry laws associated with increases in 7 of 9 crimes studied, with the largest effect (+9 percent) being the crime many researchers would have hypothesized would increase aggravated assaults

    The 'Right to Carry' Fallacy - Room for Debate - NYTimes.com


    Some academic studies that have rejected Lott's conclusions include the following. These studies contend that there seems to be little or no effect on crime from the passage of license-to-carry laws. Donohue's 2003 study finds a temporary increase in aggravated assaults.

    More Guns, Less Crime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    1. Lott's study suffers from numerous methodological problems, which bias his results.

    Lott does not properly control for factors, such as poverty, the illicit drug market, gang activity, which can affect crime. Lott uses methodology that was discredited over two decades ago by the National Academy of Sciences.

    2. Lott does not prove that "more guns" cause "less crime", as implied by the title of his book. In fact, he provides no credible mechanism to describe this alleged phenomenon.

    Were there more guns? Most surveys show either a decrease or no change in gun ownership. Since there aren't "more guns", Lott's entire argument is invalid. To find that the enactment of concealed-carry laws actually reduce crime, Lott assumes the following series of events:

    "Shall-issue" law passes --> Increase number of permits issued --> Increase handgun carrying by citizens --> Increase use of handguns for self-defense against crime --> Criminal alter their behavior --> Change in rate and pattern of crime".

    However, Lott investigates only the first and last steps in the process, providing little empirical evidence that any of the necessary intermediate steps occur as described above. Since many of these intermediate steps do not occur, as Lott assumes, Lott's conclusions fall short and can not be valid.

    3. Lott avoids many implausible conclusions that can be obtained from his work.

    According to Lott's data, middle-aged and elderly black women (as victims or perpetrators) have a greater effect on reducing the murder rate than young black males. Lott would have us believe that if law enforcement focused on the activities of middle-aged or elderly black women, we could dramatically reduce crime. Lott's data show that an increase in unemployment or a decrease in income level reduces crime. The data imply that we could reduce crime by firing people from their jobs.

    Gunfree on Lott

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #332
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I'm asking for what you claim does exist.

    I am claiming that it doesn't exist, and your inability to post what you claim exists supports my argument that it doesn't exist
    You must think this my first debate or something

    Every time some, on any topic, and on either side of a given topic, this isn't unique to any political group....says that no evidence exists for something, they always...always reject any and everything which is sourced after that statement.

    You can go on thinking I have no such evidence, but as I posted a wall of all such evidence just last night on another thread, I know differently.

    I'm not going to post it again on this thread because there is always the chance of getting points for spamming if I post my pre-written responces it to often.

  3. #333
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I was thing about you:

    The estimates from their best models show right-to-carry laws associated with increases in 7 of 9 crimes studied, with the largest effect (+9 percent) being the crime many researchers would have hypothesized would increase aggravated assaults

    The 'Right to Carry' Fallacy - Room for Debate - NYTimes.com


    Some academic studies that have rejected Lott's conclusions include the following. These studies contend that there seems to be little or no effect on crime from the passage of license-to-carry laws. Donohue's 2003 study finds a temporary increase in aggravated assaults.

    More Guns, Less Crime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    1. Lott's study suffers from numerous methodological problems, which bias his results.

    Lott does not properly control for factors, such as poverty, the illicit drug market, gang activity, which can affect crime. Lott uses methodology that was discredited over two decades ago by the National Academy of Sciences.

    2. Lott does not prove that "more guns" cause "less crime", as implied by the title of his book. In fact, he provides no credible mechanism to describe this alleged phenomenon.

    Were there more guns? Most surveys show either a decrease or no change in gun ownership. Since there aren't "more guns", Lott's entire argument is invalid. To find that the enactment of concealed-carry laws actually reduce crime, Lott assumes the following series of events:

    "Shall-issue" law passes --> Increase number of permits issued --> Increase handgun carrying by citizens --> Increase use of handguns for self-defense against crime --> Criminal alter their behavior --> Change in rate and pattern of crime".

    However, Lott investigates only the first and last steps in the process, providing little empirical evidence that any of the necessary intermediate steps occur as described above. Since many of these intermediate steps do not occur, as Lott assumes, Lott's conclusions fall short and can not be valid.

    3. Lott avoids many implausible conclusions that can be obtained from his work.

    According to Lott's data, middle-aged and elderly black women (as victims or perpetrators) have a greater effect on reducing the murder rate than young black males. Lott would have us believe that if law enforcement focused on the activities of middle-aged or elderly black women, we could dramatically reduce crime. Lott's data show that an increase in unemployment or a decrease in income level reduces crime. The data imply that we could reduce crime by firing people from their jobs.

    Gunfree on Lott
    Setting aside the topic for a moment.... Wikipedia is not a credible source. Most folks won't even read what you quote from Wiki, they will simply see that its wiki and dismiss it. You could be 100% right about something but fail a debate for sourcing wiki.

  4. #334
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Setting aside the topic for a moment.... Wikipedia is not a credible source. Most folks won't even read what you quote from Wiki, they will simply see that its wiki and dismiss it. You could be 100% right about something but fail a debate for sourcing wiki.
    As an overview source, Wikipedia is fine.

    There are however two sources there as well. And Wiki gives links to others.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #335
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Wikipedia Deemed a Reliable Source for Political Information, According to Study

    (Snip)


    Like all encyclopedias Wikipedia should be used to get a general idea about a subject and then direct users to further sources. Most of all, Brown's study gives confidence that people can start getting more involved in politics by starting with Wikipedia.

    Wikipedia deemed a reliable source for political information, according to study

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #336
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Gunfree-the stuff you cited is nothing more than a blog without an author's name

    and it does not prove that gun control=crime control

    fail



  7. #337
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,549

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    It's just not the place or it. Brains are not fully developed until the late twenties, so stupid is common. Stupid worries me more than criminal.
    If they are old enough to go kill enemy's in the defense of the nation, they should be allowed the responsibility. I am of the opinion we don't give young people enough responsibility for there own lives and circumstance. Which is why people today have no concept of real responsibility. It is always someone else's fault is all we are teaching.

    So you are correct in the "stupid" being rampant in the late 20's. So we need to show them we can trust them to be responsible. And face the repercussion's if they are not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #338
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    As an overview source, Wikipedia is fine.
    When you source a site, you're saying your claim is true because your source says so.

    Nothing is true because Wiki says so, because anyone can modify any wiki page to say anything they want. Wiki is not subject to the scientific method, most notably wiki is not subject to peer review or independent falsification.

    You source wiki, someone else sources Harvard, you could actually be correct but you would fail the debate because Harvard has a wealth of credibility while wiki has non.

  9. #339
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Gunfree-the stuff you cited is nothing more than a blog without an author's name

    and it does not prove that gun control=crime control

    fail
    Excuses, excuses.

    http://www.bmsg.org/pdfs/myths.pdf

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #340
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    And that's another thing: blogs are opinion, not fact, which is why DebatePolitics.com has one Breaking News forum for legitimate news outlet and another Braking News forum for blogs.

    When you say your opinion is true because someone else has the same opinion, that doesn't mean either of you are factually accurate, that only means the two of you share the same opinion. You could both be wrong.

Page 34 of 45 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •