Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 448

Thread: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody[W: 150]

  1. #111
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    .....
    Let's look at males and guns now:

    "The risk of dying from a suicide in the home was greater for males in homes with guns than for males without guns in the home"
    Guns in the Home and Risk of a Violent Death in the Home: Findings from a National Study
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #112
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Let's look at males and guns now:

    "The risk of dying from a suicide in the home was greater for males in homes with guns than for males without guns in the home"
    Guns in the Home and Risk of a Violent Death in the Home: Findings from a National Study
    Suicide is not illegal so it is irrelevant. We own our own body's, not the government. It is not the government's job to protect us from ourselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Let's look at males and guns now:

    "The risk of dying from a suicide in the home was greater for males in homes with guns than for males without guns in the home"
    Guns in the Home and Risk of a Violent Death in the Home: Findings from a National Study
    It means when someone has decided to kill themselves, if there's a gun in the home then they do it at home with the gun; but if there's no gun in the home then they have to leave the home to, say, step in front of train or jump off a bridge.

    Nice try though.

    This thread isn't about suicide, this thread isn't about the military, and even if it were you're wrong anyway.

  4. #114
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    Suicide is not illegal so it is irrelevant. We own our own body's, not the government. It is not the government's job to protect us from ourselves.
    I see now that you are proven wrong its irrelevant? Increased suicides may be irrelevant to you, but they are still more of them when guns are around.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  5. #115
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,707

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    How are most suicides carried out in the military?
    In the few years that it was my job to clean up those messes I'd have to say drugs and hanging were the preferred methods. We had a couple of shootings but pretty much every weekend we had someone try to hang themselves, slice themselves or OD themselves. In fact, if my memory serves, it was 2 shootings (one successful) and dozens of "other".

  6. #116
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    It means when someone has decided to kill themselves, if there's a gun in the home then they do it at home with the gun; but if there's no gun in the home then they have to leave the home to, say, step in front of train or jump off a bridge.

    Let's see the study that says that!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #117
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    In the few years that it was my job to clean up those messes I'd have to say drugs and hanging were the preferred methods. We had a couple of shootings but pretty much every weekend we had someone try to hang themselves, slice themselves or OD themselves. In fact, if my memory serves, it was 2 shootings (one successful) and dozens of "other".

    Thanks for your personal opinion!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Let's see the study that says that!
    WOULD BANNING FIREARMS REDUCE MURDER AND SUICIDE? A REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL AND SOME DOMESTIC EVIDENCE
    Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy

    Attachment 67129742

    Guns are just one among numerous available deadly instruments. Thus, banning guns cannot reduce the amount of suicides. Such measures only reduce the number of suicides by firearms. Suicides committed in other ways increase to make up the difference. People do not commit suicide because they have guns available. They kill themselves for reasons they deem sufficient, and in the absence of firearms they just kill themselves in some other way.
    .....

    There was no suicide in the LoneStar shooting, so this concludes this tangent.

  9. #119
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I see now that you are proven wrong its irrelevant?
    It was irrelevant from the beginning, you brought it up not me. Your stat has nothing to do with suicide in the military so you did not prove **** to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Increased suicides may be irrelevant to you, but they are still more of them when guns are around.
    The are irrelevant because they are legal. You no longer go to jail for attempted suicide. They can only observe you for a limited amount of days if any and release you. So yes it is completely irrelevant unless you break a law doing so. Like illegal discharge of a weapon within city limits. A misdemeanor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #120
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,707

    Re: Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Person of Interest' in Custody

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Thanks for your personal opinion!

    Well, it might be an opinion but it's one based on 9 years of experience.

Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •