Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 102

Thread: GOP official: House to vote to lift debt limit

  1. #91
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,286

    Re: GOP official: House to vote to lift debt limit

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Thanks for agreeing with me that it's the republicans who are the big spenders
    I havent argued otherwise. But are you saying that big spending by the government is a bad thing?

  2. #92
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,724
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: GOP official: House to vote to lift debt limit

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    No, you're just trying to run away from your own words as fast as you can. The facts is, the economy hit it's peak in March 2001. Too bad your Decider was so incompetent he blew the economy up.
    Ok... now the economy "hit it's peak" in March 2001? A couple of posts ago you said...

    Your own link says the recession began in March 2001, two months *AFTER* bush* took office.
    Recessions are declared to "begin" once growth stops and "negative growth" or "recession" start. Once growth stops and things begin to RECEDE you are in a recession. Seems like you like to play with words and definitions as they suit your argument. You just used the same date, once to state that a recession began a month after Bush took office, and now to imply that the "economy was at it's peak" a month after Bush took office.

    Revisionists tactics noted. You are dismissed, toolbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.

  3. #93
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: GOP official: House to vote to lift debt limit

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    I havent argued otherwise. But are you saying that big spending by the government is a bad thing?
    no, I'm not
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #94
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: GOP official: House to vote to lift debt limit

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    Ok... now the economy "hit it's peak" in March 2001? A couple of posts ago you said...



    Recessions are declared to "begin" once growth stops and "negative growth" or "recession" start. Once growth stops and things begin to RECEDE you are in a recession. Seems like you like to play with words and definitions as they suit your argument. You just used the same date, once to state that a recession began a month after Bush took office, and now to imply that the "economy was at it's peak" a month after Bush took office.

    Revisionists tactics noted. You are dismissed, toolbox.
    I dont see why you can't understand that the economy hit it's peak and then began declining in March 2001, but that's your FAIL, not mine
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #95
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,724
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: GOP official: House to vote to lift debt limit

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I dont see why you can't understand that the economy hit it's peak and then began declining in March 2001, but that's your FAIL, not mine
    No, no, no. The fail is all yours.

    Right now you find yourself in the uncomfortable position of either having to admit that Bush inherited a poor economy or using dishonest tactics and hoping that nobody calls you on it. You have chosen the latter. Here are your own words...

    No, you're just trying to run away from your own words as fast as you can. The facts is, the economy hit it's peak in March 2001. Too bad your Decider was so incompetent he blew the economy up.
    The fact is that the economy was in a tailspin as Bush took office. Only hardened partisans like yourself would try to dispute that. Now, if you want to say that the economic collapse that happened in 2008 was Bush's fault, that's a completely different subject but right now we're talking about conditions in 2001 and you just tried to say that that one was Bush's fault, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.

  6. #96
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: GOP official: House to vote to lift debt limit

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    No, no, no. The fail is all yours.

    Right now you find yourself in the uncomfortable position of either having to admit that Bush inherited a poor economy or using dishonest tactics and hoping that nobody calls you on it. You have chosen the latter. Here are your own words...


    The fact is that the economy was in a tailspin as Bush took office. Only hardened partisans like yourself would try to dispute that. Now, if you want to say that the economic collapse that happened in 2008 was Bush's fault, that's a completely different subject but right now we're talking about conditions in 2001 and you just tried to say that that one was Bush's fault, too.
    If by "tailspin" you mean, the economy was booming, then you'd be correct. When bush* took office, the economy was growing. Even your own link says so

    The NBER's Business Cycle Dating Committee has determined that a peak in business activity occurred in the U.S. economy in March 2001.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: GOP official: House to vote to lift debt limit

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Economy has not improved as rapidly as it could have with more stimulus spending
    So more borrowing and more spending is still the answer? Didn't Obama already promise that the last trillion or so would do the trick?

    Unemployment has improved if you count from the days when it hit its peak in Feb 2010 and not from Inauguration Day in 2009;
    Yes, improved because people have just dropped out of the work force or are collecting disability. How does the economy grow and food stamp use as well?
    The infrastructure is crumbling but all we hear from the GOP is "cut spending". Tell us - how do you repair, renovate and improve American infrastructure without paying for it?
    Perhaps some of that $5 trillion Obama spent could have gone towards infrastructure. Of course people are telling him to stop spending because he has nothing to show for the trillions he has already spent. Only his political friends have become quite wealthy.

    As noted earlier, America's economy is doing better than the rest of the industrialised world, so there is "something to show for it"
    [/QUOTE]

    That's because mush of the industrialized world went left a lot earlier than the US. Now the USA is following their lead and will suffer the same consequences. That is a certainty.

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: GOP official: House to vote to lift debt limit

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    People are 'interested' but those who are capable of grasping the complexities of the modern world, for the most part, understand that an immediate "balancing of the national budget" would result in a depression worse than that experienced in the 1930s
    Then why not simply present a budget like the law demands? Obama can't even do that much.

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: GOP official: House to vote to lift debt limit

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Well to be fair while there are hypocrites who are complaining about the spending under Obama now that didn't under Bush, there are also hypocrites that complained about spending under Bush that aren't now that Obama is doing it.

    There are hypocrites on all sides.
    In fact the ratings of George Bush dropped dramatically during his last term as a direct result of his spending. People were very vocal about it.

  10. #100
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: GOP official: House to vote to lift debt limit

    "The House on Wednesday approved a bill extending the nation's debt limit

    "Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), however, said the Senate would pass the House bill quickly."

    Read more: House approves debt-limit extension, presses Senate to pass budget - The Hill's Floor Action
    Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •