Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: New Nonprofit to Promote Obama Agenda.....

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    New Nonprofit to Promote Obama Agenda.....

    WASHINGTON (AP) — In an unprecedented move, President Barack Obama's vaunted political organization is being turned into a nonprofit group — funded in part by corporate money — to mobilize support behind the president's second-term agenda.

    The tax-exempt organization will be called Organizing for Action and seek to harness the energy of Obama's re-election campaign for future legislative fights. Officials said the group will be separate from the Democratic National Committee and advocate on key policy issues such as gun control and immigration, train future leaders and devote attention to local issues around the country.



    "Following in the footsteps of the campaign you built, Organizing for Action will be an unparalleled force in American politics," Obama said in an email to supporters Friday. "It will work to turn our shared values into legislative action, and it'll empower the next generation of leaders in our movement."

    Obama campaign manager Jim Messina will serve as the group's national chairman, and White House official Jon Carson is leaving the administration to become its executive director. Democratic officials familiar with the group said the organization plans to accept donations from individuals and corporations — and disclose their identities — but not take money from lobbyists and political action committees, a move in line with donor rules set up for the president's inaugural committee. It will have offices in Washington and Chicago, the officials said.

    The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the plans in advance of a public announcement on Friday.....snip~

    New nonprofit to promote Obama agenda - Yahoo! News
    Associated Press – 44 mins ago Jan 18 2013<<<<< More Here

    Now these guys are going to run His 2nd term Campaign to help him deal with issues like Gun Control and to train Future Leaders. U got to be kidding me.

  2. #2
    Elitist as Hell.
    Einzige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-29-16 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: New Nonprofit to Promote Obama Agenda.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Now these guys are going to run His 2nd term Campaign to help him deal with issues like Gun Control and to train Future Leaders[/COLOR]. U got to be kidding me.
    This is something most Presidents end up doing. Roosevelt did it with the New Deal coalition, and Nixon with his "Silent Majority". The only difference is that Obama's making it official.

    It's pretty ****ing smart politics, actually. Of course, 'smart politics' and what you want are at a fundamental loggerheads.
    I dip my forefinger in the watery blood of your impotent mad-redeemer (your Divine Democrat — your Hebrew Madman) and write over his thorn-torn brow, “The true prince of Evil — the king of the Slaves!”
    - Ragnar Redbeard, Might Is Right, 1890

  3. #3
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: New Nonprofit to Promote Obama Agenda.....

    Gingrich did it with GoPac; Eleanor Roosevelt started some progressive groups that became PAC's; there is the Carter Center and the Clinton Initiative. It is just par for the course really.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: New Nonprofit to Promote Obama Agenda.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Einzige View Post
    This is something most Presidents end up doing. Roosevelt did it with the New Deal coalition, and Nixon with his "Silent Majority". The only difference is that Obama's making it official.

    It's pretty ****ing smart politics, actually. Of course, 'smart politics' and what you want are at a fundamental loggerheads.
    "Oh".....I don't recall Nixon with his Silent Majority Campaigning while going thru his 2nd term. Nor did Roosevelt. Did you mean they did so after they were out of Office?

    Really.....only if you ACTUALLY happen to know what I want. Do you think all those companies should be tax exempt?

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: New Nonprofit to Promote Obama Agenda.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Gingrich did it with GoPac; Eleanor Roosevelt started some progressive groups that became PAC's; there is the Carter Center and the Clinton Initiative. It is just par for the course really.
    Perhaps this puts little perspective on it even tho the OP calls the move Unprecedented.

    Campaign finance experts said the creation of a nonprofit group with close ties to the president could raise questions about how donations from corporations might influence federal policy. Craig Holman, who lobbies on ethics and campaign finance for the watchdog group Public Citizen, said if the group receives corporate and special interest money, it could "pose some very serious problems."

    The decision by the group to accept corporate donations also reflects Obama's shifting stance on campaign finance. He criticized pay-for-access activities during his first campaign and was a vocal opponent of "super" political action committees, which can raise and spend unlimited funds to help candidates. Obama later signed off on Democrats creating super PACs when he faced tens of millions of dollars in spending by allies of his Republican campaign challengers.....snip~

  6. #6
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: New Nonprofit to Promote Obama Agenda.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Perhaps this puts little perspective on it even tho the OP calls the move Unprecedented.

    Campaign finance experts said the creation of a nonprofit group with close ties to the president could raise questions about how donations from corporations might influence federal policy. Craig Holman, who lobbies on ethics and campaign finance for the watchdog group Public Citizen, said if the group receives corporate and special interest money, it could "pose some very serious problems."

    The decision by the group to accept corporate donations also reflects Obama's shifting stance on campaign finance. He criticized pay-for-access activities during his first campaign and was a vocal opponent of "super" political action committees, which can raise and spend unlimited funds to help candidates. Obama later signed off on Democrats creating super PACs when he faced tens of millions of dollars in spending by allies of his Republican campaign challengers.....snip~
    I worked for a PAC in DC for a bit. They are in it as thick as thieves. No matter where you draw the line, somebody will find a way around it even if it is just an arbitrary door between the "non-profit" side and the "for-profit" side of the essentially same office suite.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: New Nonprofit to Promote Obama Agenda.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    I worked for a PAC in DC for a bit. They are in it as thick as thieves. No matter where you draw the line, somebody will find a way around it even if it is just an arbitrary door between the "non-profit" side and the "for-profit" side of the essentially same office suite.
    The group will be a 501 (c) (4) under the federal tax code, which grants tax-exempt status as long as organizations are not primarily involved in activity that could influence an election. As a nonprofit, it could run ads advocating support for an issue but could not be involved in political activity aimed at electing Democratic candidates.....snip~


    Well.....one can see why. Although I did notice it does say it will empower the next generation of leaders to the movement and not the country!

  8. #8
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: New Nonprofit to Promote Obama Agenda.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    The group will be a 501 (c) (4) under the federal tax code, which grants tax-exempt status as long as organizations are not primarily involved in activity that could influence an election. As a nonprofit, it could run ads advocating support for an issue but could not be involved in political activity aimed at electing Democratic candidates.....snip~


    Well.....one can see why. Although I did notice it does say it will empower the next generation of leaders to the movement and not the country!
    Sure, and they "buy" the mailing list from another organization that "donates" the money to a campaign. PACs bundling and funneling money around their tax status has been going on every since there were PACs. As long as there are PACs, they will find a way if they so desire.

  9. #9
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: New Nonprofit to Promote Obama Agenda.....

    Almost all non-profits are for profit in sheep's clothing. They are businesses that extract the money by selling services to themselves and paying connected ones juicy salaries and other rewards. It's just shameful really.

    In my own home town, I have been at "war" with a "non-profit" for years. It ius owned by billionaires who add to their stashes by the techniques I mentioned above. They disguise themselves as an animal shelter but they kill most of the animals because they make more money that way and then they contract out the cremations of the bodies, rent a TENT for $5000 a month and extract their profits in other ways. You can read about this on my webpage if you like. Advocacy for exceptional cats in imminent danger

  10. #10
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 06:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    497

    Re: New Nonprofit to Promote Obama Agenda.....

    Obama's the devil, I tells you, the DEVIL!!!!!!1! How dare he stoop so low and demean the office of Saint Reagan by resorting to politics.

    Praise Jebus that we have the Krotch brothers and Murdoch singing the sweet harmony of truth to counteract this gay-atheist-muslim's vile propaganda.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •