Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 157

Thread: Obama unveils $500 million gun violence package

  1. #31
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,629

    Re: Obama unveils $500 million gun violence package

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    To your first point, you're wrong. You can already privately sell your firearm through an FFL (as anyone who has sold online is fully aware of). This should be a federal law (and has broad support). As to your second point, addressing mental health in this country and talking openly about it does address what transpired at Sandy Hook. And finally your last point really highlights the truth in this debate (though not directly). Conservatives don't believe in any regulation on gun control. Feel free to vilify the President. But to suggest that he is merely capitalizing on an event and not following through with his true beliefs is very misguided.
    The private sale prohibition is going to be one of the top priorities but I'd be surprised if it goes through. First off, the federal government has no power to regulate private commerce that does not cross state lines so on its face there would be a HUGE legal hurdle. Secondly, how would it possibly be enforced? If I sell you a gun and you're a criminal are you going to turn me in? If you get caught with a gun that I sold you and you commit a crime and that gun is traced back to me all I'm going to say is that you stole it.

  2. #32
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,709

    Re: Obama unveils $500 million gun violence package

    Quote Originally Posted by ex99 View Post
    I love how its okay for him to use our children for a political agenda when the NRA mentions his they have crossed the line and are the cowardly ones. Ha!
    Most people think it's shady for either side so I'm not really sure where you get this idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    The private sale prohibition is going to be one of the top priorities but I'd be surprised if it goes through. First off, the federal government has no power to regulate private commerce that does not cross state lines so on its face there would be a HUGE legal hurdle. Secondly, how would it possibly be enforced? If I sell you a gun and you're a criminal are you going to turn me in? If you get caught with a gun that I sold you and you commit a crime and that gun is traced back to me all I'm going to say is that you stole it.
    Difficult to enforce doesn't mean we should leave it legal. I don't know about you, but I think it should be illegal to sell a gun privately to a person who can't legally purchase a gun.

    I mean really. Does anybody think the 2nd amendment includes selling guns to violent criminals? Does anybody really oppose making it illegal for violent criminals to own guns?

    If you think both of those things should be illegal, shouldn't there be at least some attempt to stop it from happening?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #33
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Obama unveils $500 million gun violence package

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Their mission includes more than just literal diseases. It also includes injury and disability.
    Yeah, it became yet another of those government agencies, created for a specific purpose, that later morphed into a frankenagency. Taking up responsibilities and control that were never asked for in it's creation.

  4. #34
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Last Seen
    02-06-14 @ 03:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    56

    Re: Obama unveils $500 million gun violence package

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Most people think it's shady for either side so I'm not really sure where you get this idea.



    Difficult to enforce doesn't mean we should leave it legal. I don't know about you, but I think it should be illegal to sell a gun privately to a person who can't legally purchase a gun.

    I mean really. Does anybody think the 2nd amendment includes selling guns to violent criminals? Does anybody really oppose making it illegal for violent criminals to own guns?

    If you think both of those things should be illegal, shouldn't there be at least some attempt to stop it from happening?
    Correct me if im wrong but the magnitude of which Obama has been using children compared to the mention of his by the NRA on this particular issue are on two entirely different levels. I didnt say it wasnt shady to use children in politics. I think all he is doing is further proving just how large of an "elitist hypocrite" we have running this country.

  5. #35
    Student Mr. E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    PNW
    Last Seen
    10-27-13 @ 05:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    224

    Re: Obama unveils $500 million gun violence package

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    The private sale prohibition is going to be one of the top priorities but I'd be surprised if it goes through. First off, the federal government has no power to regulate private commerce that does not cross state lines so on its face there would be a HUGE legal hurdle. Secondly, how would it possibly be enforced? If I sell you a gun and you're a criminal are you going to turn me in? If you get caught with a gun that I sold you and you commit a crime and that gun is traced back to me all I'm going to say is that you stole it.
    When you sell a vehicle you submit a form to the state. I don't see why firearms should be less regulated then vehicles. Failure to report a stolen firearm should also be a felony. There will always be criminals. The purpose of a law is not just deterrence. It also has acts a punishment to those who willfully break them. Again, it is not a prohibition against private sale. The FFL would only act as an intermediary between both parties (fyi, this is how I would sell mine already because I'm not going to risk accidentally selling to a criminal).

  6. #36
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-26-13 @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,404
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama unveils $500 million gun violence package

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    The private sale prohibition is going to be one of the top priorities but I'd be surprised if it goes through. First off, the federal government has no power to regulate private commerce that does not cross state lines so on its face there would be a HUGE legal hurdle. Secondly, how would it possibly be enforced? If I sell you a gun and you're a criminal are you going to turn me in? If you get caught with a gun that I sold you and you commit a crime and that gun is traced back to me all I'm going to say is that you stole it.
    Weapons should not be sold privately if you want to sell a weapon or purchase a weapon it should be done through a licensed dealer, Enforcement should be easy if you own a weapon and it has been used in the commission of a crime and you have not reported it stolen you should have your gun ownership right revoked and be subjected to fines and jail time.

  7. #37
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:16 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,948

    Re: Obama unveils $500 million gun violence package

    Regardless if you agree with Obama or not, it's pretty outrageous that CDC research into gun violence in America was being blocked. I for one am really pleased to see that the freeze was lifted. It's hard to get real information from all the politics and partisan posturing going on.

  8. #38
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,629

    Re: Obama unveils $500 million gun violence package

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    When you sell a vehicle you submit a form to the state. I don't see why firearms should be less regulated then vehicles. Failure to report a stolen firearm should also be a felony. There will always be criminals. The purpose of a law is not just deterrence. It also has acts a punishment to those who willfully break them. Again, it is not a prohibition against private sale. The FFL would only act as an intermediary between both parties (fyi, this is how I would sell mine already because I'm not going to risk accidentally selling to a criminal).
    Vehicle registrations are for tax purposes and the tax is because public funds are used to provide the roads your car needs. Guns, like lawnmowers and refrigerators, are personal use products and any tax for their use should be unconstitutional because it would be an infringement on the right to keep and bear arms. I can't really think of a good reason to expand the commerce clause that much because once it's done for guns the floodgates will open and the federal government will regulate anything it can get it's hands on.

  9. #39
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Obama unveils $500 million gun violence package

    I'd like to know, how he defines armor piercing bullets.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #40
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,629

    Re: Obama unveils $500 million gun violence package

    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Weapons should not be sold privately if you want to sell a weapon or purchase a weapon it should be done through a licensed dealer, Enforcement should be easy if you own a weapon and it has been used in the commission of a crime and you have not reported it stolen you should have your gun ownership right revoked and be subjected to fines and jail time.
    Why not?

    If I want to sell my poker buddy a gun I should be able to do so just as if I wanted to sell him my old couch.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •