Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 332

Thread: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    Of course it "could be said". It could also be said that World War 1 was simply the result of nations fulfilling their treaty obligations.
    The point is that you have not made your claim. Best wait a while before you pretend to have an understanding of the situation.

    Of course I'm not all that surprised that there are those who would immediately take the side of the Islamists against the French.

  2. #52
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Exactly. But what can be done to discourage Islamic hatred against Israel and other western countries?
    World freedom and development.

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    World freedom and development.
    Easier said than done.

    During the Cold War everyone knew, or could have known, about the mass killings and infinite atrocities carried out by the Communists and yet the Leftists were still anti American, anti Democracy and marched for the Communists and rallied against their own leaders.

    And now we see the same pattern here. If you point out the Islamist murders of innocent people, the hatreds, the lack of basic human rights, they will insist that you are the 'hater'. These are people who are a throwback to the herd mentality of the Fascists, Nazis, Communists and all who have gone before them.

    There is certainly something dark and evil that lurks near the surface of a great many human beings.

  4. #54
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,881

    re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    The point is that you have not made your claim. Best wait a while before you pretend to have an understanding of the situation.

    Of course I'm not all that surprised that there are those who would immediately take the side of the Islamists against the French.
    Best not pretend you have an understanding of the situation, if that's what you think the sides are.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    Best not pretend you have an understanding of the situation, if that's what you think the sides are.
    Mali fighting spreading to multiple towns - World - CBC News

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    El Monte, California
    Last Seen
    07-05-13 @ 11:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,471

    re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Does anyone know if these shootings are taking place in "Gun Free Zones"? Were signs posted?

  7. #57
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    It is edifying to see in here the usual suspects all lined up in the expected positions.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #58
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    "In the long term, France has interests in securing resources in the Sahel - particularly oil and uranium, which the French energy company Areva has been extracting for decades in neighboring Niger," said Sold.

    The interests behind France's intervention in Mali | World | DW.DE | 16.01.2013

    It's quite obvious why France is involved in Mali. I don't see how you could dispute this.
    Tad naive to think its just about oil and uranium. It's about trade of all goods and services to and from Mali (and the surrounding region), which requires a functional government, secure borders and a secure population. Certainly the Islamists stand in opposition to that and they don't in any way represent the Malian population. So even assuming purely resource driven interests on the part of the French, why exactly would one sympathise with the minority Islamists (with their own foreign backers) operating their kangaroo courts and summary amputations plus their hostage taking colleagues abroad over the French?

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
    Tad naive to think its just about oil and uranium. It's about trade of all goods and services to and from Mali (and the surrounding region), which requires a functional government, secure borders and a secure population. Certainly the Islamists stand in opposition to that and they don't in any way represent the Malian population. So even assuming purely resource driven interests on the part of the French, why exactly would one sympathise with the minority Islamists (with their own foreign backers) operating their kangaroo courts and summary amputations plus their hostage taking colleagues abroad over the French?
    One doesn't have to be a Islamist sympathizer to question the wisdom of bombing a poor nation, especially a former colony. The Taliban sucked, but bombing Afghanistan made things worse for the people in that country.

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    One doesn't have to be a Islamist sympathizer to question the wisdom of bombing a poor nation,
    Better to bomb rich nations?

    especially a former colony.
    What's the difference whether it was a former colony or not?
    The Taliban sucked,
    Indeed! have you heard what they have done to women and little girls?

    but bombing Afghanistan made things worse for the people in that country.
    How so? which bombing are you referring to?

    But in any case this thread concerns what's going on in Mali.

Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •