Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 332

Thread: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

  1. #311
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    PS also, one might assume that if we are arguing that societal pressures need to be put on islam if it wants a place in the modern world that we also recognizes the lack of such things currently ...

  2. #312
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    Re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    Being that this branch of the discussion started out with you and others claiming something totally different


    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1061373339



    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1061373417


    and vigorously defending it


    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1061373453


    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1061373453


    the attempt to move the goal posts here are rather blatant . Normally I wouldn't be a dick about such things, but your propensity to make vague insults, out right attempts to distort and mischaracterize arguments you disagree with, endlessly repeating yourself, and outright refusal to even acknowledge evidence that goes against your own personal beliefs, while making attempts to buff your own credentials as some type of enlightened rationalist, proved to be a particularly annoying combination.

    I suggest that in the future you might take time off from posting and spend some time studying basic logic, with particular focus on the formal and informal fallacies
    Normally you wouldn't be a dick? Every time I've talked to you, you've proven the opposite.

    I've remained intellectually consistent through all of this. I've claimed that the religions themselves are violent, both christianity and islam, but the individual practitioners of those religions are not inherently violent because of a group of fringe radicals. So I'll restate my point, so you can try to BS me again about what you actually believe: A relatively small percentage of muslim terrorists does not make all, most, or any other muslims terrorists or violent by association of religion.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  3. #313
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I've remained intellectually consistent through all of this.
    as usual, you are right. If we ignore the evidence above and all those points at which you were intellectually inconsistent, we can clearly conclude, that indeed, you were intellectually consistent.

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I've claimed that the religions themselves are violent
    making a straw man argument (distortion) and ignoring evidence contextually relevant to the discussion: check

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    but the individual practitioners of those religions are not inherently violent because of a group of fringe radicals.
    distortion: check

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    So I'll restate my point, so you can try to BS me again about what you actually believe: A relatively small percentage of muslim terrorists does not make all, most, or any other muslims terrorists or violent by association of religion.
    ignoring evidence, distortion, repeating yourself: check
    Last edited by Dr. Chuckles; 01-22-13 at 04:45 AM.

  4. #314
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    Re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    as usual, you are right. If we ignore the evidence above and all those points at which you were intellectually inconsistent, we can clearly conclude, that indeed, you were intellectually consistent.



    making a straw man argument (distortion) and ignoring evidence contextually relevant to the discussion: check



    distortion: check



    ignoring evidence, distortion, repeating yourself: check
    I'm getting really tired of your ****, to be honest. I made a nice neat little summary of what I've been saying in the entire thread, and you responded with absolutely nothing on topic. Either you disagree, and think that a few terrorists make other muslims violent by association, or you agree and are just being a troll.

    Either way, I don't see that we have anything else to discuss.

    Good day, I bid you adieu.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  5. #315
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I'm getting really tired of your ****, to be honest. I made a nice neat little summary of what I've been saying in the entire thread, and you responded with absolutely nothing on topic. Either you disagree, and think that a few terrorists make other muslims violent by association, or you agree and are just being a troll.

    Either way, I don't see that we have anything else to discuss.

    Good day, I bid you adieu.
    yes, if we ignore the entirety of the discussion such makes sense

  6. #316
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,802

    Re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Rapid Alpaca, I would say the difference between Christianity and Islam currently is the positions of power and authority and respect violent extremists and supporters of such have within Islamic society.

    You would be hard pressed to find extremists Christians that would condone and support terrorist activities to achieve religious/political objectives. That is not the case with radical islam.

  7. #317
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Rapid Alpaca, I would say the difference between Christianity and Islam currently is the positions of power and authority and respect violent extremists and supporters of such have within Islamic society.

    You would be hard pressed to find extremists Christians that would condone and support terrorist activities to achieve religious/political objectives. That is not the case with radical islam.
    the army of god comes to mind, or the LRA if you want a particularly poignant example. But neither of those groups receive wide spread public support, or much of any, at all. And short of the LRA, which is about as fringe to mainstream Christianity as you can get, their ability and interest to wage violence has been rather limited

  8. #318
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Rapid Alpaca, I would say the difference between Christianity and Islam currently is the positions of power and authority and respect violent extremists and supporters of such have within Islamic society.

    You would be hard pressed to find extremists Christians that would condone and support terrorist activities to achieve religious/political objectives. That is not the case with radical islam.
    Terrorism is the most effective form of warfare for those fighting from a position of powerlessness. The powerful have police armies, prisons, and military weapons. When we bomb from an airplane we kill as many innocents as the terrorists do, but we ignore that fact. Despite all the claims about evil Muslims, even in the last ten years the USA has killed more people, including more non-combatants, than all the Islamist terrorist combined. We killed 500,000 to million in Iraq alone and that country never attacked or threatened us. It may make you feel better to think there is no equivalency between bombing a nation from the air and blowing up a bus but the differences are imaginary.

  9. #319
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Terrorism is the most effective form of warfare for those fighting from a position of powerlessness. The powerful have police armies, prisons, and military weapons. When we bomb from an airplane we kill as many innocents as the terrorists do, but we ignore that fact. Despite all the claims about evil Muslims, even in the last ten years the USA has killed more people, including more non-combatants, than all the Islamist terrorist combined. We killed 500,000 to million in Iraq alone and that country never attacked or threatened us. It may make you feel better to think there is no equivalency between bombing a nation from the air and blowing up a bus but the differences are imaginary.

    Still clinging to Lancet are we? Even after their number has been so widely discredited, that to bring it up in any circle of people that know what they are talking about would prompt out right laughter.....

    The closer number in my opinion is somewhere around 121,000 civilian deaths through Dec. 2012.


    You need to read this....

    Iraq Body Count
    Last edited by j-mac; 01-22-13 at 06:06 PM.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #320
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Terrorism is the most effective form of warfare for those fighting from a position of powerlessness. The powerful have police armies, prisons, and military weapons. When we bomb from an airplane we kill as many innocents as the terrorists do, but we ignore that fact. Despite all the claims about evil Muslims, even in the last ten years the USA has killed more people, including more non-combatants, than all the Islamist terrorist combined. We killed 500,000 to million in Iraq alone and that country never attacked or threatened us. It may make you feel better to think there is no equivalency between bombing a nation from the air and blowing up a bus but the differences are imaginary.
    I like how you've magically assigned all murders committed by terrorists in Iraq into the United States murder column (500,000 - 1 million?). With stats computed like that I'm not surprised you reached the conclusion you did.

    There's no reason to be sympathetic to terrorists. The vast majority of people they kill aren't their oppressors. They aren't the powerless, they generally prey on the powerless.

Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •