Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 332

Thread: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

  1. #271
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    The bible has not changed in over 1500 years. If you want to count society not allowing christians to murder non-believers anymore, then yes, I guess in that way it's changed.
    from above: "Uh, I'm not sure you noticed, but the bible is a highly interpreted text. This is why we have all these different sects of Christianity coming to wildly different conclusions based on that same book. Hell, there are even liberal christian churches that are almost secular in character, clearly something that wasn't around 1000 years ago"

  2. #272
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    However, your misunderstanding of how Christianity is taught from the pulpit today is really apparent here...While I can pull up on youtube any number of Imam's in the religion of Peace calling for the destruction of non believers of Islam, and in fact present leaders of countries as well. Can you say the same of modern day Christianity? I don't think so.

    You'll find plenty of fringe christian whackos doing the same, even some with a significant sized congregation.

    The difference is they still clearly represent the fringe, as opposed to someone like Yousef al-Qaradawi, who has one of the most popular television shows in the gulf region

  3. #273
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    It seems you are now backtracking but you're wrong here as well.

    Best you go back to the subject of the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    However, your misunderstanding of how Christianity is taught from the pulpit today is really apparent here...While I can pull up on youtube any number of Imam's in the religion of Peace calling for the destruction of non believers of Islam, and in fact present leaders of countries as well. Can you say the same of modern day Christianity? I don't think so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    from above: "Uh, I'm not sure you noticed, but the bible is a highly interpreted text. This is why we have all these different sects of Christianity coming to wildly different conclusions based on that same book. Hell, there are even liberal christian churches that are almost secular in character, clearly something that wasn't around 1000 years ago"
    Man, I don't know what to say here. I enter the thread responding to someone, telling them that most muslims are in fact not violent and trying to destroy the west, at which point I'm labeled a leftist and the goons jump on me. When I confront the attackers, they say no one ever even implied that most muslims were violent.

    I then restate my case, which was that a few radical terrorists don't represent a religion of 2 billion people, then the same people try to jump on and explain to me why the majority of islam is extremist in nature. I think it's time for you guys to grow some balls and stop beating around the bush. Own up to it, you believe that most muslims are radical.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  4. #274
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,339
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    This really isn't about Christianity, however, any more than it is about Hinduism, Atheism, or Buddhism. Bringing in side issues does not clarify the problem.
    No the point is... is it's about putting things into context.

    Now I know that's hard for you because it requires critical thinking (yes I know you're going to cry ad hominem and play the victim).

    One might have thought looking at Japanese atrocities during WW2 and their occupations of various Asian nations before that, that they were nothing but blood thirsty, sick rapists that didn't have an ounce of humanity in them...

    Far more Japanese soldiers committed severe crimes against humanity than any Muslim terrorists today.

    Now one of the most peaceful nations on Earth with a constitution that forbids armed aggression against another country.

    The point is... and this will hopefully be my final word with you on this subject because you are extremely obtuse and talking to hateful people like you about Muslims and Islam is like smashing my head against the wall over and over again.

    Is that you're extremely slimy on this subject, you spread fear, hatred, misinformation and when you're called on this you either deny it, play the victim or just continue like nothing happened.

    I know that the Muslim world has issues, I oppose some of their nations treatment of women and I hope that it changes... but not all muslim nations are like this and it's actually in many cases more to do with longstanding cultural traditions in the region than it is the religion itself.

    You go to Jordan and you won't find such oppression of Women as you might find in rural Iran or Pakistan.

    Bah who am I kidding, I'm tired of typing because nothing is ever going to get through the shield of ignorance surrounding your brain.

    You will continue to spread fear and lies.

    You will continue to use dubious sources to make your points (often times it seems like you've googled for about 30 seconds before posting links).

    And you will continue to be wrong.

    We know who our enemy is... it's all peoples in this world who's intent is to use violence against the innocent, they come from all religions, all nations and they act of their own accord and they will be stopped... and we will not let people like you try to paint large numbers of people who happen to share the same faith with a broad brush because you don't have the critical thinking skills to see reality.

  5. #275
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Man, I don't know what to say here. I enter the thread responding to someone, telling them that most muslims are in fact not violent and trying to destroy the west, at which point I'm labeled a leftist and the goons jump on me. When I confront the attackers, they say no one ever even implied that most muslims were violent.

    I then restate my case, which was that a few radical terrorists don't represent a religion of 2 billion people, then the same people try to jump on and explain to me why the majority of islam is extremist in nature. I think it's time for you guys to grow some balls and stop beating around the bush. Own up to it, you believe that most muslims are radical.
    1) you must be confusing me for someone else

    2) I already outlined my views on radicalism, put it into context with fundamentalism, and indicated how I thought it was nowhere near a majority. Seriously, just read what you respond to.

  6. #276
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    1) you must be confusing me for someone else

    2) I already outlined my views on radicalism, put it into context with fundamentalism, and indicated how I thought it was nowhere near a majority. Seriously, just read what you respond to.
    Damn man, you can't even stay consistent for an entire page.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    actually i was very clear with my language: "But the real issue is hardcore fundamentalism which does seem to represent a majority, or very close to it", which I supported with data.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  7. #277
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Damn man, you can't even stay consistent for an entire page.
    did you actually take the time to read that second quote? If you did (don't worry, I know you didn't), you will notice that I outline that radicalism is distinct from fundamentalism (they are two different things. And that while radicalism represents a minority, the same might not be true of fundamentalism, which "does seem to represent a majority, or close to it"

    Clearly if I feel radicalism=/=fundamentalism, then my posts on fundamentalism (which I see as possibly representing a majority, or close to it) would not be referring to my views on radicalism (which I see as a clear minority). Which is the assumption you made in your argument, and which is why your argument is wrong ...

  8. #278
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I think it's time for you guys to grow some balls and stop beating around the bush.
    Great metaphors!

  9. #279
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,326

    re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Man, I don't know what to say here. I enter the thread responding to someone, telling them that most muslims are in fact not violent and trying to destroy the west, at which point I'm labeled a leftist and the goons jump on me. When I confront the attackers, they say no one ever even implied that most muslims were violent.

    I then restate my case, which was that a few radical terrorists don't represent a religion of 2 billion people, then the same people try to jump on and explain to me why the majority of islam is extremist in nature. I think it's time for you guys to grow some balls and stop beating around the bush. Own up to it, you believe that most muslims are radical.

    Man, it is really funny to see someone try and come into a written word, internet forum, where no one knows the others in the forum personally (as far as I know), yet claim to have such intuitive, perceptive powers as to know what is in the hearts, minds, and inner most thoughts of those that disagree with them. It really is a foolish undertaking....Best you drop the 'oh poor me' attitude, and like grant advised earlier, just stick to the topic. You are not equipped to analyze people you don't know, nor have a clue about.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #280
    Global Moderator
    May the force be with you
    Serenity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,939

    re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Moderator's Warning:
    Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]There's too many personal comments going on in here aimed at other members and the thread has degenerated away from the original Topic. One warning only folks. Back on topic and cease with personal comments. Thanks.

Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •