Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 332

Thread: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

  1. #261
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I think both islam and christianity as religions are horrifically violent. I however still can't justify calling 1 out of 3 human beings on earth violent for the actions of a few radicals.
    While Christianity has more than enough violence in it's past, I really question comparisons of it to modern islam. Also, I made rather clear that my figures reference a majority or close to a majority, not all

  2. #262
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,574

    re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    While Christianity has more than enough violence in it's past, I really question comparisons of it to modern islam. Also, I made rather clear that my figures reference a majority or close to a majority, not all
    Whether 500 years ago, or today, neither religions have changed in over 1000 years. They're both quite violent in nature, but a muslim isn't violent for being a muslim any more than a christian is inherently violent by being a christian.

    Pulling numbers out of your ass without a source is not making anything clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  3. #263
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Whether 500 years ago, or today, neither religions have changed in over 1000 years.
    what a completely ignorant statement that requires one to ignore the large movement not only towards secularism in the christian world, but one of liberalism, as well

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    They're both quite violent in nature, but a muslim isn't violent for being a muslim any more than a christian is inherently by being a christian.
    Do you not even read what you respond to? From one post above that you directly quote: " I made rather clear that my figures reference a majority or close to a majority, not all".

    Now, please explain to me how anyone can read that as a claim that all Muslims are violent.

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Pulling numbers out of your ass without a source is not making anything clear.
    you mean the source that I quoted extensively and can be easily accessed by clicking on the very links embedded into the quote?

  4. #264
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,574

    re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    what a completely ignorant statement that requires one to ignore the large movement not only towards secularism in the christian world, but one of liberalism, as well
    Christianity is founded entirely on the bible, and the bible hasn't changed in over 1500 years. We as a culture have changed. We stopped allowing christians to run around and murder non-christians. The religion itself hasn't changed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    Do you not even read what you respond to? From one post above that you directly quote: " I made rather clear that my figures reference a majority or close to a majority, not all".

    Now, please explain to me how anyone can read that as a claim that all Muslims are violent.
    That's right, you're just saying most are, not all.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    you mean the source that I quoted extensively and can be easily accessed by clicking on the very links embedded into the quote?
    I didn't see any links.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  5. #265
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I think both islam and christianity as religions are horrifically violent. I however still can't justify calling 1 out of 3 human beings on earth violent for the actions of a few radicals.
    This really isn't about Christianity, however, any more than it is about Hinduism, Atheism, or Buddhism. Bringing in side issues does not clarify the problem.

  6. #266
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Whether 500 years ago, or today, neither religions have changed in over 1000 years. They're both quite violent in nature, but a muslim isn't violent for being a muslim any more than a christian is inherently violent by being a christian.

    Pulling numbers out of your ass without a source is not making anything clear.
    Christianity has not changed over the last 1,000 years?

    That really is a remarkable statement.

    The Next One Thousand Years Of Christianity by Kevin Kelly

  7. #267
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Christianity is founded entirely on the bible, and the bible hasn't changed in over 1500 years. We as a culture have changed. We stopped allowing christians to run around and murder non-christians. The religion itself hasn't changed.
    Uh, I'm not sure you noticed, but the bible is a highly interpreted text. This is why we have all these different sects of Christianity coming to wildly different conclusions based on that same book. Hell, there are even liberal christian churches that are almost secular in character, clearly something that wasn't around 1000 years ago


    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    That's right, you're just saying most are, not all.
    actually i was very clear with my language: "But the real issue is hardcore fundamentalism which does seem to represent a majority, or very close to it", which I supported with data



    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I didn't see any links.
    Uh, yes, that would actually require you to read what you respond to. This is a quagmire indeed. But fret not, when you decide to butt-waffle over there, the link will be there.

  8. #268
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,574

    re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Christianity has not changed over the last 1,000 years?

    That really is a remarkable statement.

    The Next One Thousand Years Of Christianity by Kevin Kelly
    The bible has not changed in over 1500 years. If you want to count society not allowing christians to murder non-believers anymore, then yes, I guess in that way it's changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  9. #269
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Christianity is founded entirely on the bible, and the bible hasn't changed in over 1500 years.
    It seems you are now backtracking but you're wrong here as well.

    Best you go back to the subject of the thread.

  10. #270
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,306

    re: Dozens held after Islamists attack Algerian gas field!!!![W:280]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Christianity is founded entirely on the bible, and the bible hasn't changed in over 1500 years. We as a culture have changed. We stopped allowing christians to run around and murder non-christians. The religion itself hasn't changed.
    However, your misunderstanding of how Christianity is taught from the pulpit today is really apparent here...While I can pull up on youtube any number of Imam's in the religion of Peace calling for the destruction of non believers of Islam, and in fact present leaders of countries as well. Can you say the same of modern day Christianity? I don't think so.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •