Page 34 of 69 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 682

Thread: Judges say Calif. middle school teacher can't shake porn past, must not return to cla

  1. #331
    Professor
    Monserrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    04-29-14 @ 11:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Judges say Calif. middle school teacher can't shake porn past, must not return to

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I'm so torn on this. I fully believe people should be allowed to redeem themselves. There are civilized countries in which former porn stars served or currently serve as members of government. Sex is a natural biological process. Etc., etc., etc. And unless her videos included dangerous, illegal, or disturbing sexual acts, the only difference between her and her former colleagues is her profiting from her sexual activities.

    That said, middle school students are profoundly immature in a broad sense. Her ability to educate them without distraction is severely damaged, and the quality of the education they received would likely decline. While I question the parental involvement of children who accessed pornography at the ages of 12-14, I realize the open nature of today's internet makes it significantly harder to block such exposure.

    So in short, I don't know. If I were her boss and I found it impossible to overcome the situation I think I'd be inclined to do whatever was in my power to help her move on and into employment she could maintain long term. It doesn't seem to me that this woman deserves to be punished, or to suffer, simply because she participated legally in an industry that is heavily monitored and regulated in California.
    That was really well said.

    Personally for me it just comes down to whether or not she can still do her job as a teacher. If she can than fine.

    Maybe she could even impart some of her knowledge on how damaging past actions can be especially in this day and age where kids don't think before before doing stupid things in a technological age where every single one of their peers has a video camera in their phone and making information go viral is as easy as a click of a button.
    I believe half of the things I say and say half of the things I believe.

  2. #332
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,715
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Judges say Calif. middle school teacher can't shake porn past, must not return to

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    I seriously doubt ANY of the adults crying for her dismissal have led perfectly "pure" lives.
    There is no one "crying for her dismissal". She has already been dismissed. The only people crying are the ones who find themselves trying, in vain, to gloss over the fact that putting porn stars in the classroom is an inherently bad idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    What she did was legal, like it or not.
    And her subsequent dismissal was equally legal, like it or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    The disruption argument is semi-valid.
    The disruption argument is totally valid. Minimizing the truth does not help anyone.

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    What if she were dating Justin Bieber?

    Or a former pro wrestler?

    Would you ban Tom Green from teaching based on his earlier comedy?
    Straw man numbers 1, 2, and 3 right there. The issue has nothing to do with celebrities. We're talking about whether or not a former porn star should be allowed to teach a class of 12 year olds. Anything else is just a diversion and a direct avoidance of dealing with the situation as it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    The "omission" is simply an excuse for prudery, and firing without consequence.
    OR... you could say that the "omission" is proof positive that the teacher herself knows full well that a person with a porn past has no business teaching 12 year olds. If that wasn't the case, why not be upfront about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.

  3. #333
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,452
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judges say Calif. middle school teacher can't shake porn past, must not return to

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Perhaps you can talk your local school district and/or middle school into hiring her?
    So its ok with you to.discriminate against people over legal activity.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  4. #334
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Judges say Calif. middle school teacher can't shake porn past, must not return to

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I believe any lie, on any job application, for any company, any where in the USofA, is reasonable grounds for dismissal.

    And not disclosing or hiding past employment history is lying.

    Would you want a full-fledged member of a known hate-group teaching children?
    Unless the application clearly states a requirement to disclose every single job the applicant ever held, including temp and contract work outside their field, there was no lying involved in applying for the job.

    Lying to avoid discrimination or oppression is morally acceptable. For example a gay person denying being gay when such an admission would get them fired is not immoral.

    Re hate groups: A person who espouse a viewpoint that indicates that they would not be able to treat the students equally can be reasonably prevented from teaching. A person with a past, or a person with an unconventional sex life, does not hold views that indicates that they would not be a good and fair teacher. Someone who quit the hate group and no longer advocates discrimination should be allowed to teach unless there is evidence of discrimination.

  5. #335
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Judges say Calif. middle school teacher can't shake porn past, must not return to

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Of course it doesn't, but there are two types of "right". The sort that is believed to be so by the individual, and the one held by the majority of the group. The latter controls what is, or is not, right in the eyes of our law.

    This mirrors the community standards decision made by the SCOTUS. Also in this decision, where the community standard (that is not in conflict with the state or federal constitution or law) was used to find her guilty of a morals clause violation.
    The notion that consensus opinion in a particular geographic area should determine what is legal in the media, after one is prosecuted, is unique to sexual expression and was a stupid and wrong decision by the courts.

  6. #336
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Judges say Calif. middle school teacher can't shake porn past, must not return to

    Doing some research I have found examples of private school teachers being fired for:

    Having a child while unmarried
    Conceiving a child before marriage
    Using in-vitro fertilization

    Those who support firing the porn performer-would you support firing these teachers also if they taught in a public school?

  7. #337
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,452
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judges say Calif. middle school teacher can't shake porn past, must not return to

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    There is no one "crying for her dismissal". She has already been dismissed. The only people crying are the ones who find themselves trying, in vain, to gloss over the fact that putting porn stars in the classroom is an inherently bad idea.


    And her subsequent dismissal was equally legal, like it or not.


    The disruption argument is totally valid. Minimizing the truth does not help anyone.


    Straw man numbers 1, 2, and 3 right there. The issue has nothing to do with celebrities. We're talking about whether or not a former porn star should be allowed to teach a class of 12 year olds. Anything else is just a diversion and a direct avoidance of dealing with the situation as it is.


    OR... you could say that the "omission" is proof positive that the teacher herself knows full well that a person with a porn past has no business teaching 12 year olds. If that wasn't the case, why not be upfront about it?
    "Disruption" was the reason given.

    And perhaps she just thought judgemental prudes would take issue with it.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  8. #338
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,715
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Judges say Calif. middle school teacher can't shake porn past, must not return to

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    "Disruption" was the reason given.

    And perhaps she just thought judgemental prudes would take issue with it.
    So now anyone who objects to a porn star teaching a class of 12 year olds is a judgmental prude?

    The more I hear from people like you the more I realize that rationality, common sense, and reason are becoming a thing of the past... in certain circles, that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.

  9. #339
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: 't shake porn past, must not return to cla

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    So in this school district there was an official morals clause that listed that no former porn stars can be teachers?
    Obviously that's the case considering the ruling, more likely the source was the school board (the folks who pass on contracts). May not be word for word, probably more generic.

  10. #340
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,575

    Re: 't shake porn past, must not return to cla

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Obviously that's the case considering the ruling, more likely the source was the school board (the folks who pass on contracts). May not be word for word, probably more generic.
    It doesn't have to be the case. The argument everyone here has used was that it was harming the impressionable young minds' education, which doesn't make any sense at all. Fact is they just didn't want her there and fired her.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

Page 34 of 69 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •