Page 33 of 69 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 682

Thread: Judges say Calif. middle school teacher can't shake porn past, must not return to cla

  1. #321
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Judges say Calif. middle school teacher can't shake porn past, must not return to

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Sorry, the fact is that you consider killing people when ordered to do so by the government to be moral and having sex on camera immoral. I disagree. In my view, a rational consideration of morality based on whether harm was caused is better than a thoughtless morality based on certain books, authority figures, tradition and social consensus.
    You don't know what a military service member is, or does.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  2. #322
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Judges say Calif. middle school teacher can't shake porn past, must not return to

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    ACtually you can't. Try it and find out. Go ahead and fire someone because you simply don't like the way their hair looks today even though it looks professional.
    Why shouldn't I be able to fire someone for that? I admit it's not a good reason, but why is it illegal?

  3. #323
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Judges say Calif. middle school teacher can't shake porn past, must not return to

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Why shouldn't I be able to fire someone for that? I admit it's not a good reason, but why is it illegal?
    Because thankfully in this country, we have laws protecting workers from people like you.

    However, to argue from a legal standpoint, we have those laws so that a boss cannot turn that harrassment into something much much worse like sex for favors or full on sexual harrassment. That type of hostile work environment invites actions like that. People have a right not to be harrassed at work, whether it be verbal, physical, or sexual.

  4. #324
    Professor
    phoenyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    07-13-16 @ 02:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,616
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Judges say Calif. middle school teacher can't shake porn past, must not return to

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    While you can't sexually harrass someone (even in the porn industry) you CAN fire someone just because you feel like it....unless of course you live in a union controlled area. Then unions holler about union busting and cost the company money. Thank god I live in a RTW state.
    Actually you can't. Try it and find out. Go ahead and fire someone because you simply don't like the way their hair looks today even though it looks professional.
    As far as I know, firing for the way someone's hair looks is peachy in some states. But it seems that the best way to go about firing someone for questionable reasons is to simply not give a reason for firing them at all:
    "Under the employment-at-will doctrine, an employer can generally fire an employee for any reason or for no reason at all. However, there are some things that an employer can't fire an employee for. Employers cannot fire employees for reasons that would violate anti-discrimination laws. (For more information on employment discrimination laws read the article, "Employment Discrimination Laws You Should Be Aware Of".) An employer also cannot fire an employee for reasons that would violate public policy. For example, an employer cannot fire an employee because that employee turned the employer in for violating the law."

    Source: What You Can't Fire Someone For | AllLaw.com

    I remember a recent discussion (here perhaps) where a woman was recently fired from job as a Dentist's assistant because her boss' wife thought she was a danger to her marriage He was sexually harassing the woman previously, but she was apparently putting up with it because she wanted to keep the job, only to have her boss' wife essentially fire her. The courts backed him up.

    The irony here, is that I don't think it makes sense to force someone to keep employees, but under the current system, the employees clearly get the short end of the stick. The solution, in my view, is that instead of simply paying someone money, they pay them shares in the business. This way, if the 2 parties no longer get along, they can get a compensation by selling their shares; or keep their shares in hopes that the business will do better later and sell them then.

  5. #325
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Judges say Calif. middle school teacher can't shake porn past, must not return to

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Because thankfully in this country, we have laws protecting workers from people like you.
    Because I'm a bad guy? How?

    However, to argue from a legal standpoint, we have those laws so that a boss cannot turn that harrassment into something much much worse like sex for favors or full on sexual harrassment.
    So we have laws against firings because we don't want sexual harassment to turn into sex for favors? That is a reach if there ever was one.

    That type of hostile work environment invites actions like that. People have a right not to be harrassed at work, whether it be verbal, physical, or sexual.
    I wonder if you realize that the verbal part opens you up to the first amendment? I bet you don't.

    Regardless, I never said anything about this stuff.

  6. #326
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Judges say Calif. middle school teacher can't shake porn past, must not return to

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenyx View Post
    The irony here, is that I don't think it makes sense to force someone to keep employees, but under the current system, the employees clearly get the short end of the stick. The solution, in my view, is that instead of simply paying someone money, they pay them shares in the business. This way, if the 2 parties no longer get along, they can get a compensation by selling their shares; or keep their shares in hopes that the business will do better later and sell them then.
    You do realize that shares equal ownership, right? I'm not really interested in giving shares of my business to anyone.

  7. #327
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,460
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judges say Calif. middle school teacher can't shake porn past, must not return to

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I guess you have only yourself to blame if you lied on your resume. You might not like to hear this, but ultimately YOU are responsible for your own actions. If you lie on an application or on your resume, and you get caught, that's your own fault and NOT the people who fired you.

    Nobody likes a liar.
    So she should wear a scarlet "P"?
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  8. #328
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:43 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,564

    Re: Judges say Calif. middle school teacher can't shake porn past, must not return to

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    So she should wear a scarlet "P"?
    No. Just be honest, and don't hide something that you know might come back to bite you.

  9. #329
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,460
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judges say Calif. middle school teacher can't shake porn past, must not return to

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    No. Just be honest, and don't hide something that you know might come back to bite you.
    I seriously doubt ANY of the adults crying for her dismissal have led perfectly "pure" lives.

    What she did was legal, like it or not.

    The disruption argument is semi-valid.

    What if she were dating Justin Bieber?

    Or a former pro wrestler?

    Would you ban Tom Green from teaching based on his earlier comedy?

    The "omission" is simply an excuse for prudery, and firing without consequence.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  10. #330
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:43 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,564

    Re: Judges say Calif. middle school teacher can't shake porn past, must not return to

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    I seriously doubt ANY of the adults crying for her dismissal have led perfectly "pure" lives.

    What she did was legal, like it or not.

    The disruption argument is semi-valid.

    What if she were dating Justin Bieber?

    Or a former pro wrestler?

    Would you ban Tom Green from teaching based on his earlier comedy?

    The "omission" is simply an excuse for prudery, and firing without consequence.
    Perhaps you can talk your local school district and/or middle school into hiring her?

Page 33 of 69 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •