Page 24 of 69 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 682

Thread: Judges say Calif. middle school teacher can't shake porn past, must not return to cla

  1. #231
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: Ren't shake porn past, must not return to cla

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Firing someone for arbitrary morality is a pandora's box. In certain liberal areas of the bay area, your views would make you just as much a pariah as the women in question. Its easy to make such a claim when its your morality that is being pushed on others, but inevitably you will find yourself on the chopping block. Decisions regarding employment should be based on job performance, not subjective opinions.
    They aren't arbitrary. They are ethics handed down from generation to generation, discussed at length by society at large as to what is professionally appropriate and what is not. It is just that educators are held to higher standards from most other professions.

    An instructor is generally speaking, not allowed to proselytize students with their individual political creeds. An instructor is asked that they keep the students in their seats from bell to bell. An instructor is asked to follow certain professional attire, so as to maintain symbolic distance between student (young, non-authority figure) and instructor (adult, authority figure). We could go on and on. Instructors are asked to keep their personal lives relatively clean from social scandal in addition to not breaking laws. It gets a great deal looser with adult students in post-secondary education, but it's still there.

    Educators are not entirely unique in this either. Many employers keep an eye on how you are seen as publicly advertising yourself on the internet, and if that is how they want you to be connected with the company. That's just reality. You non-educator folks simply live a looser lifestyle than educators. That's all there is to it. You may find it archaic and strange, but it's a very conservative position.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  2. #232
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Judges say Calif. middle school teacher can't shake porn past, must not return to

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    I read where she lied several times under oath but can't find that link now. Here is what I could find:



    Source
    Okay, I would fire her for the lying, but I wouldn't want to have to fire her because of something she did in her past. OTOH, people should probably think about things before they take teaching jobs or get involved in pornography.

  3. #233
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: Judges say Calif. middle school teacher can't shake porn past, must not return to

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Same with guys with comb-overs, gays, Muslims, etc.
    No, not the same. There have been occasions where homosexuality or religious choice has come into discussion over whether one is comfortably employed or not, but there is a social, professional, and legal understanding that one cannot fire over that. Big difference. Once pornography and its performers become socially acceptable enough, then matters entirely change.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  4. #234
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Judges say Calif. middle school teacher can't shake porn past, must not return to

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    I work in a field that is hard to get work in, especially at a living wage, because of its popularity. Many people in my field are forced by circumstances to take a job in another field until they can get back into it. When we see someone with a hole in their resume we assume that they were just working in something outside of the field, or they went back to school or worked at home to raise a child.
    And that kind of lackadaisical approach to resumes is exactly what gets companies sued when they hire, for instance, pedophiles to drive school buses, felons to work in banks, and porn stars to teach children. When/if the **** hits the fan? Their ass is grass, as they say.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #235
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Judges say Calif. middle school teacher can't shake porn past, must not return to

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    It's a classic strawman. You clearly picked a veteran because of the emotional value of veteran status, but just to indulge your little game, yes, I would pick a veteran over a pornstar. Killing people is hardly the only thing uniformed service members do. They have to endure tests to ensure physical and mental strength, they have to learn how to lead, they have to learn how to adapt and overcome many obstacles, they gain invaluable experience in many aspects of life, and as a service member ranks up, they have to learn how to teach and pass down their knowledge to others in a way that they can understand and actually learn.

    What skills does a pornstar bring to the table? What does this glorified prostitute do that puts her above a "killer" as you call us? Lay on her back? Suck dick? Take cocks in multiple orifices at a time? Take a money shot to the face without flinching? Whoopty doo. Her past career only demonstrates moral turpitude, and parents don't want that around their children.
    Sorry, the fact is that you consider killing people when ordered to do so by the government to be moral and having sex on camera immoral. I disagree. In my view, a rational consideration of morality based on whether harm was caused is better than a thoughtless morality based on certain books, authority figures, tradition and social consensus.

  6. #236
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Rhake porn past, must not return to cla

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    And do you see anyone here denying the mentality of a 14 year old here?
    Yes, in fact most of the arguments in her favor, if not all, require us to ignore the mentality of children in a school setting, and some even go so far as to compare it to a professional work engironment

    foibgIf they misbehave then punish them. You punish the people that do wrong, not the people that don't.
    1) the entire reason bullying is such a problem in school is the very limited ability of teachers to police a large group of children in a large building

    2) why should a school have to deal with her social baggage, or even want to? They have enough to deal with already



    Umm...because its the RIGHT thing to do? See thats the problem with many people these days. [/Quote]

    What employer has an obligation to deal with their employees social baggage?

  7. #237
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: Judges say Calif. middle school teacher can't shake porn past, must not return to

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Sorry, the fact is that you consider killing people when ordered to do so by the government to be moral and having sex on camera immoral. I disagree. In my view, a rational consideration of morality based on whether harm was caused is better than a thoughtless morality based on certain books, authority figures, tradition and social consensus.
    When you view things from a State or Nation-State standpoint rather than random person A and random person B, soldiers become defenders of that identity, hence why it is valued.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  8. #238
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Judges say Calif. middle school teacher can't shake porn past, must not return to

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Sorry, the fact is that you consider killing people when ordered to do so by the government to be moral and having sex on camera immoral. I disagree. In my view, a rational consideration of morality based on whether harm was caused is better than a thoughtless morality based on certain books, authority figures, tradition and social consensus.
    Whatever. It is obvious here that your views on morality are out of touch with "community standards" and not the operating standard used by the rest of us.

  9. #239
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,876
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Judges say Calif. middle school teacher can't shake porn past, must not return to

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    And that kind of lackadaisical approach to resumes is exactly what gets companies sued when they hire, for instance, pedophiles to drive school buses, felons to work in banks, and porn stars to teach children. When/if the **** hits the fan? Their ass is grass, as they say.
    Hence why background checks are done. Surely you don't rely entirely on what is on the application for such things?

    You're arguement has become one of criminal liability instead of just past work history.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  10. #240
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Judges say Calif. middle school teacher can't shake porn past, must not return to

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Okay, I would fire her for the lying, but I wouldn't want to have to fire her because of something she did in her past. OTOH, people should probably think about things before they take teaching jobs or get involved in pornography.
    If you were in Nazi Germany and were asked if you were a Jew, wouldn't you lie if you were? It is OK to lie to people who are only out to screw you over when you have not done anything wrong.

Page 24 of 69 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •