Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 63

Thread: NY State Senate passes sweeping gun regulations

  1. #51
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    39,169

    Re: NY State Senate passes sweeping gun regulations

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You'd have a more reasonable conversation if you didn't make up terms like "evil guns."
    And so would the state of NY. To assertain that guns with magazine capacities of 8 or more are "evil" yet the identical firearm with a magazine capacity of 7 or less is somehow going to be "preventing crime" is just not "reasonable". Also "unreasonable" is the idea that "registering" guns makes them "safer" or less likely to be used in a crime. All cars are "registered" yet they are used (abused?) to kill slightly more people, and to injure more that 30 times the number of people, than all guns, whether the "evil" kind or not.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #52
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    96,086

    Re: NY State Senate passes sweeping gun regulations

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    anyone who wants to own the same defensive weapons that his security detail enjoys

    most of the high speed action oriented pistol and rifle events

    many target events that are based on 10 round strings

    the workers of companies that will now most likely move out of NY
    Which they have no Constitutional right to have in the first place. Thus, they are not being denied the right to keep and bear arms since they have a more than full menu of other options which will fulfill their exercise of the right.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #53
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    186,767

    Re: NY State Senate passes sweeping gun regulations

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Which they have no Constitutional right to have in the first place. Thus, they are not being denied the right to keep and bear arms since they have a more than full menu of other options which will fulfill their exercise of the right.
    that claim has been rejected by most people. again-its like telling some one that if they can read one book it is ok to ban other books

  4. #54
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    43,637

    Re: NY State Senate passes sweeping gun regulations

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    How is it as STRONG GUN CONTROL LAW when it does nothing to control the millions of guns already in that state which can be used in criminal activity?

    Your premise fails miserably right out of the gate.
    How could there possibly be a gun control law that would control guns used in criminal activity? Your definition of "strong gun control" eliminates any possibility of such a law ever being enforced.

    Which is really my point. That "strong gun control" law passed in NY does nothing to actually control guns. It just makes it more difficult for law abiding citizens to buy guns, just as any gun control law does. My prediction, therefore, is that it will be ineffective.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance. It is the illusion of knowledge" Stephen Hawking

  5. #55
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    96,086

    Re: NY State Senate passes sweeping gun regulations

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that claim has been rejected by most people. again-its like telling some one that if they can read one book it is ok to ban other books
    I would welcome your verifiable evidence that this has been rejected by most people. I await its presentation by you asap.

    And this is this. It is NOT something else. Guns are not books. The First Amendment is not the Second Amendment.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #56
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    96,086

    Re: NY State Senate passes sweeping gun regulations

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    How could there possibly be a gun control law that would control guns used in criminal activity? Your definition of "strong gun control" eliminates any possibility of such a law ever being enforced.
    I did not give you a definition of strong gun control. All I said was that the example you gave was not it.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #57
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    43,637

    Re: NY State Senate passes sweeping gun regulations

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I did not give you a definition of strong gun control. All I said was that the example you gave was not it.
    You said:

    How is it as STRONG GUN CONTROL LAW when it does nothing to control the millions of guns already in that state which can be used in criminal activity?
    so, by inference, your definition of a strong gun control law would be one that controls the millions of guns already in that state which can be used in criminal activity.

    If that inference is wrong, then what is your definition?
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance. It is the illusion of knowledge" Stephen Hawking

  8. #58
    Sewer Rat


    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    25,049

    Re: NY State Senate passes sweeping gun regulations

    I am baffled by the logic of 7 round mags. How did that number come up and why does it make sense to the State of New York?

    What NY may see as a result of their law is that more than a few gun owners will up-gun to single stack .45 caliber pistols.










    Somedays I stop and ask myself if it is going to be worth the effort of chewing through the restraints.


    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf



  9. #59
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    96,086

    Re: NY State Senate passes sweeping gun regulations

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    You said:



    so, by inference, your definition of a strong gun control law would be one that controls the millions of guns already in that state which can be used in criminal activity.

    If that inference is wrong, then what is your definition?
    I do not have one. I guess its like the Supreme Court justice and pornography.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #60
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    43,637

    Re: NY State Senate passes sweeping gun regulations

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    I am baffled by the logic of 7 round mags. How did that number come up and why does it make sense to the State of New York?

    What NY may see as a result of their law is that more than a few gun owners will up-gun to single stack .45 caliber pistols.
    or go to other states to purchase their high capacity magazines.

    Lucky #7. How, indeed, did the legislature come up with that number? I'm guessing that they pulled it out of thin air, or perhaps someplace smellier and darker.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance. It is the illusion of knowledge" Stephen Hawking

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •