Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 42

Thread: Sheriff's Office wants to fly drones over Orange County skies

  1. #31
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Sheriff's Office wants to fly drones over Orange County skies

    I don't think there is a "We, the people". Just look at DP and how opposite the positions are. Do you think we have consensus? On anything? No matter the topic, about half or more thoroughly disagree wit the opposition. All black and white and damn little grayscale.

    You only have one way to "remove" the government. That just happened. It was an election, participated in by relatively few citizens. How satisfied are you with the outcome?



    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Well, Progressives, and the Liberals of today better hope that no one else actually believes that, otherwise as a free people we have the right to remove that government, and constitute one that we the people agree with. But, I don't believe you actually believe that our government "rules" us.

  2. #32
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Sheriff's Office wants to fly drones over Orange County skies

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    I don't think there is a "We, the people". Just look at DP and how opposite the positions are. Do you think we have consensus? On anything? No matter the topic, about half or more thoroughly disagree wit the opposition. All black and white and damn little grayscale.

    You only have one way to "remove" the government. That just happened. It was an election, participated in by relatively few citizens. How satisfied are you with the outcome?
    Not true, in fact in our History there was another time when the tyrannical ruler of the colonies tried to disarm the population of the US to prevent rebellion. It failed.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #33
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Sheriff's Office wants to fly drones over Orange County skies

    Lets stick with the OP of this thread and apply the use of technology to increase government control. We're discussing anti-crime technology, not personal firearm ownership. Things have changed quite a bit since the 18th century. We've added 300 million people and we've passed the industrial age into the technological age.

    I;m not taking a right or wrong position on this. I'm simply saying that we are, in fact, ruled by the government and the government can and will use newly developed technology to observe and control us. Some may bitch about it but that changes nothing.

    Reality is what is, not what you want it to be.
    Frank Zappa




    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Not true, in fact in our History there was another time when the tyrannical ruler of the colonies tried to disarm the population of the US to prevent rebellion. It failed.

  4. #34
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,096

    Re: Sheriff's Office wants to fly drones over Orange County skies

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Many argue that real political change begins, and is strongest at the local levels. This is one area where there is near unanimity in silence from the loudest voices that screamed that Bush, Republicans, and "NeoCons" were circumventing the right to privacy through its use of warrant-less surveillance of calls entering the US from overseas, from people known to be affiliated with AQ in some way. Now, look at what the tech world in fighting wars has brought us...

    Now, for those of you who agree that we should not have drones, and the capabilities that come with technology they have, should we also be railing against Helicopter units within the law enforcement community?

    And for those of you who say it is no different that the Helicopter unit, then my question is can the Helo unit see inside your house?

    I admit I really don't know how I feel about this.

    Thoughts?
    Just so you know since you seemed ot have played the partisan card... here is some info about Orange County:

    It is known for its affluence and political conservatism a 2005 academic study listed three Orange County cities as being among America's 25 "most conservative," making it one of two counties in the country containing more than one such city

    link...
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  5. #35
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,096

    Re: Sheriff's Office wants to fly drones over Orange County skies

    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleman View Post
    I live in a very rural area across from the Great Dismal Swamp. Several years ago a hunter became lost in that swamp. His girl friend called authorities to tell them he had not yet returned from the hunt. A large search party was assembled with police helicopters searching the area. Since I have no neighbors, I never close the shades to my windows. I had gone to bed early and I was awakened around 10 by a bright light in my face. I looked out the window to see a helicopter hovering just above my house with a search light beamed into my window. I flipped them the bird at which moment the helicopter rose and went off toward the swamp a quarter of mile away. Granted, I have woods behind my house, but that pilot knew where the swamp was, and if that hunter was in my back yard, he was no longer lost. They charge people with crimes for being peeping Toms, but this was the police shining spotlights in open windows in the hopes they'd see my wife half naked. Instead they got a very irate husband awakened form a deep sleep. I called the local authorities over the incident, but I got the cursory reply that the helicopter was en route to the swamp and the light just barely brushed by my window. I have been around rotary and fixed wing aircraft over 30 years. I know when one is hovering or not. Somehow, I no longer feel safe around law enforcement.
    That was almost every single night for me when I lived in Phoenix. Of course 10 minutes prior to the copter was gunfire that they were looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  6. #36
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Sheriff's Office wants to fly drones over Orange County skies

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Just so you know since you seemed ot have played the partisan card... here is some info about Orange County:

    It is known for its affluence and political conservatism – a 2005 academic study listed three Orange County cities as being among America's 25 "most conservative," making it one of two counties in the country containing more than one such city

    link...

    Non Sequitur, what you think is about my input telling it like it is, has NO bearing on whether or not you think there should or should not be drones employed by local law enforcement.

    Do you have thoughts on that?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #37
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Sheriff's Office wants to fly drones over Orange County skies

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Here is the reality of crime in "the hood"; no witnesses, since the "code of silence" is nearly absolute. "Snitching" (reporting crime to police) is often a DP offense via "street justice". Gang/drug crime is a reality, "witnesses" to most of it are not. What these "eyes in the sky" could provide is video witnesses to a lot of that "mysterious" crime that occurs in plain view of many yet was "seen" by nobody.
    The best way to get rid of drug crime is to legalize drugs. That will put a serious hurt on the gangs.

    And, yes, gangs will just do more serious crimes, such as armed robberies and forced prostitution. However, we can then spend the money that we do enforcing drug laws to go after those more serious crimes to prevent armed robberies and forced prostitution.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  8. #38
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Sheriff's Office wants to fly drones over Orange County skies

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    The best way to get rid of drug crime is to legalize drugs. That will put a serious hurt on the gangs.

    And, yes, gangs will just do more serious crimes, such as armed robberies and forced prostitution. However, we can then spend the money that we do enforcing drug laws to go after those more serious crimes to prevent armed robberies and forced prostitution.
    This is why legalization is needed and not decriminalization. Decriminalization merely solves half the problem, and keeps the average user out of jail. It does nothing to address the crime behind the scenes.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #39
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Sheriff's Office wants to fly drones over Orange County skies

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Many argue that real political change begins, and is strongest at the local levels. This is one area where there is near unanimity in silence from the loudest voices that screamed that Bush, Republicans, and "NeoCons" were circumventing the right to privacy through its use of warrant-less surveillance of calls entering the US from overseas, from people known to be affiliated with AQ in some way. Now, look at what the tech world in fighting wars has brought us...

    Now, for those of you who agree that we should not have drones, and the capabilities that come with technology they have, should we also be railing against Helicopter units within the law enforcement community?

    And for those of you who say it is no different that the Helicopter unit, then my question is can the Helo unit see inside your house?

    I admit I really don't know how I feel about this.

    Thoughts?
    The problem I have is that if these local law enforcement officials are going to insist on 24-hour security surveillance, why not just invest in CCTVs in all the major cities, like London in the UK?

    The reason why is because someone is getting kickbacks from these drone manufacturers who want to make money by selling them to local law enforcement.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  10. #40
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,096

    Re: Sheriff's Office wants to fly drones over Orange County skies

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Non Sequitur, what you think is about my input telling it like it is, has NO bearing on whether or not you think there should or should not be drones employed by local law enforcement.

    Do you have thoughts on that?
    If being partisan is a non sequitur... why did you instantly go partisan in your OP then?

    I'm not too cool with authority taking extra measures to invade privacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •