Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 145

Thread: Shooting reported at California H.S.[W92]

  1. #111
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Shooting reported at California H.S.[W92]

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    face facts? What facts are those then? No one knows that armed civillians would of helped stop the shootings in Auroa for example, in a dark cinema more guns could of made the siuation much worse and actually could of killed more people. Your entitled to your opinion but lets not pretend like arming citizens is a proven way to stop mass killings.
    We DO have precedent...in fact people have been posting them in this thread...NUMEROUS incidents where armed citizens responded and in fact SAVED lives. YOU and people like you always spew this fantasy about wild west shootouts and rivers of blood....and...its just so stupid. People have been carrying legally and concealed for some 50 years. Just...stop with the silly mindless fears already. The facts prove you are wrong.

  2. #112
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,242

    Re: Shooting reported at California H.S.[W92]

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    We DO have precedent...in fact people have been posting them in this thread...NUMEROUS incidents where armed citizens responded and in fact SAVED lives. YOU and people like you always spew this fantasy about wild west shootouts and rivers of blood....and...its just so stupid. People have been carrying legally and concealed for some 50 years. Just...stop with the silly mindless fears already. The facts prove you are wrong.
    lol again what facts? As for fantasy I wasn't aware that I dreamt up the Autoa shootings?
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  3. #113
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,272
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Shooting reported at California H.S.[W92]

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    face facts? What facts are those then? No one knows that armed civillians would of helped stop the shootings in Auroa for example, in a dark cinema more guns could of made the siuation much worse and actually could of killed more people. Your entitled to your opinion but lets not pretend like arming citizens is a proven way to stop mass killings.
    When it's suggested more and more people with more and more guns would stop massacres all I can see in my head is the following.

    Grandma Bessy.

    85 years old.

    Watched too much Fox News... bought a pistol.

    Mall.

    2pm.

    She's shopping for stuff.

    Someones opens fire.

    She draws her pistol... shaking like a ****ting dog.

    Shoots heroic Bill who also had his gun out who was over at Pottery Barn across from her...

    I dunno.

    Just always comes to mind.

  4. #114
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Shooting reported at California H.S.[W92]

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    lol again what facts? As for fantasy I wasn't aware that I dreamt up the Autoa shootings?
    There had been several actual incidents posted in this thread. Ah...but Aurora...no...no fantasy. That's what happens when you have a theater full of targets.

  5. #115
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,242

    Re: Shooting reported at California H.S.[W92]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    When it's suggested more and more people with more and more guns would stop massacres all I can see in my head is the following.

    Grandma Bessy.

    85 years old.

    Watched too much Fox News... bought a pistol.

    Mall.

    2pm.

    She's shopping for stuff.

    Someones opens fire.

    She draws her pistol... shaking like a ****ting dog.

    Shoots heroic Bill who also had his gun out who was over at Pottery Barn across from her...

    I dunno.

    Just always comes to mind.


    exactly thats the problem! I have no problem with guns I just have a problem with half the idiots that own them. I also think America is treading the fine line between carrying to protect yourself and becoming Judge, Jury and executioner.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  6. #116
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    02-08-13 @ 10:14 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    843

    Re: Shooting reported at California H.S.[W92]

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    It is not the governments responsibility to restrict my ability to engage in constitutional activity in the name of "keeping me safer". We vested specific powers unto the government, not the power to be our nanny.
    I agree on that. However it does tend to take a lot of the weight out of “for our safety” arguments. The NRA knows this damn well, too. That is why they are willing to swing a lot of lobby weight to try limit research into these matters. It freaks them right out because they know damn well how that of information would work against their ends.

    Which is actually quite insidious as it promotes ignorance, and works to hide the information that would aid citizens in solving a good portion of the issue with firearms.

    As for rights and the Constitution and freedom; In the end there is a balance to be struck. Because someones public possession of a firearm, the pursuit of a policy of “safer by everyone being armed” does impinge on those that [for a number of reasons] do not wish to possess or use a firearm in their day-to-day lives. That is the truth of freedom, it is simply is not a singular and simple thing. This is why, for example, it is hellva tough and much regulation for a civilian possession of a full automatic weapons, and nobody outside of a very small group gets access to nukes.

  7. #117
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,242

    Re: Shooting reported at California H.S.[W92]

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    There had been several actual incidents posted in this thread. Ah...but Aurora...no...no fantasy. That's what happens when you have a theater full of targets.
    Again there is no way of knowing that more guns would of made the Aurora shootings any better, in a dark cinema full of tear gas and people running no one in the world could guarantee making that shot. Lets say as well that several people begin shooting back in the cinema, in the dark how would you know who was the attacker? Saying that more guns would of stopped the attacker is pure speculation.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  8. #118
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Shooting reported at California H.S.[W92]

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    face facts? What facts are those then? No one knows that armed civillians would of helped stop the shootings in Auroa for example, in a dark cinema more guns could of made the siuation much worse and actually could of killed more people. Your entitled to your opinion but lets not pretend like arming citizens is a proven way to stop mass killings.
    Yeah, I really can't take these people who act like more guns is THE answer and who pretend that adding a weapon to a situation always helps things. It's entirely possible that adding more weapons to certain mass shootings would have led to more causalities as the result of inexperienced people in a gun fight.

    For the record, the same people who advocate more guns as a solution to mass shootings are usually the same people who are strongly against people having to take a gun safety test before acquiring a license or permit. In other words, they believe in letting clueless people shoot guns in public spaces as a measure of safety. Go figure.

  9. #119
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Shooting reported at California H.S.[W92]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
    I agree on that. However it does tend to take a lot of the weight out of “for our safety” arguments. The NRA knows this damn well, too. That is why they are willing to swing a lot of lobby weight to try limit research into these matters. It freaks them right out because they know damn well how that of information would work against their ends.

    Which is actually quite insidious as it promotes ignorance, and works to hide the information that would aid citizens in solving a good portion of the issue with firearms.

    In the end there is a balance to be struck. Because someones public possession of a firearm, the pursuit of a policy of “safer by everyone being armed” does impinge on those that [for a number of reasons] do not wish to possess or use a firearm in their day-to-day lives. That is the truth of freedom, it is simply is not a singular and simple thing.
    The problem is not just with easy access to a weapon that kills but the whole social stigma of violence. We glorify it in our Media, movies, video games and TV and yes sane, rational people know better but anyone on the edge might not. And lets face it there's enough of those lately to try for better all round solutions than knee jerk reactions or extreme measures that won't solve anything.

    The fix won't come suddenly, no matter what we do. And allowing the News to sensationalize and distort the problem doesn't help either. How many more people literally die everyday from car accidents and alcohol related and what makes those deaths any less tragic? How much of this is actually reality based and how much of it is politically derived for expediency?
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  10. #120
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Shooting reported at California H.S.[W92]

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    exactly thats the problem! I have no problem with guns I just have a problem with half the idiots that own them. I also think America is treading the fine line between carrying to protect yourself and becoming Judge, Jury and executioner.
    What's funny about the gun debate in this country as it relates to me is that the only thing that ever makes me reconsider my position on guns is the words of many of our country's 'gun enthusiasts'. It's not the guns themselves; it's not even crime. It's the gun nuts. A lot of the things they say in public and things I consistently read on this forum are so over the top, reckless and hyperbolic that it makes me question whether or not I should be in favor of more gun control than I am. There are definitely a lot of people who cross the line from "protection" to the kind of irrationality that I don't think is safe for society.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •