Page 71 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast
Results 701 to 710 of 838

Thread: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standard

  1. #701
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,545

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    Faith is a terrible thing to base one's actions on, especially when there is EVIDENCE to the contrary. Your assurances are no reason not to fight such prohibition at every point along the political process. If public opinion, state proposals, and the new law in NY are any indication, such a ban is very possible.

    This "it'll never pass" "no one is coming for your guns" tripe gets ever so tiresome when such laws ARE passing and many actually do want gun confiscation.
    those assurances are part of the SOP of the incrementalist gun banners. The same comments were issued when Britain required registration of all handguns. Same in NYC on semi auto rifles, same in NJ and same in Kalifornia



  2. #702
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Well, firstly, Her bill looks like it will be a non starter for Reid who enjoys a "B" rating from the NRA, and being from Nevada, has a lot of gun owning constituents. Secondly, the point is not whether or not it would pass, or not, nor is it about a court fight which we both know moving the case up the line would/could take a year or better, meanwhile their little un American plan would be implemented, but rather the fact that a hypocrite like Feinstein would bring something like this forward in a bill to begin with. It is unconstitutional, and she violates her oath of office for even attempting it. The hubris, and elitism it takes to be that out of touch is just one example why these people should be tossed out on their ear.
    This is what mean, even you know it won't happen. All the sky is falling hyperbole because one congress critter says or dies something that won't fly. Line up my friend, both sides do this.

    So buck up, life won't change much when all s said and done.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #703
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,545

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    This is what mean, even you know it won't happen. All the sky is falling hyperbole because one congress critter says or dies something that won't fly. Line up my friend, both sides do this.

    So buck up, life won't change much when all s said and done.
    30 years ago no one would have believed that the 15 round magazines issued with the hundreds of thousands of MI carbines our own government sold (at very favorable prices) to us civilians through the Dept. Of Civilian Marksmanship would become illegal to be made and sold for a ten year period.

    the entire goal of the gun control movement is a complete ban on firearms. Once you believe that banning some firearms reduces crime and trumps the rights of those who lawfully use those firearms you have made all the choices needed to support a complete ban



  4. #704
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    I wouldn't call that faith, if said government gives people a reason to believe its valid.



    Which?



    That is evidence which refutes the claim that "no one is coming for your guns" when some in fact are trying. The fact they will fail is irrelevant to the point that they in fact exist.



    I didn't claim they did. So what is your point? So long as some guns aren't banned we still have a 2nd amendment? To what end? You've got a single shot rifle so you can't complain?

    The New York ban is an incremental step down a slippery slope, if you claim otherwise remember those who said the same thing about the 10 round ban not leading to future lower capacity bans.



    Yes, I lived under the ban and in DC during the crack epidemic. I know exactly the effect such laws have and increase crime.



    Who is my side? Have I overreacted? Is opposing this kind of tripe so that it fails an overreaction? Have you considered what would happen if such proposals went unopposed?

    I think you're underreacting.
    I love that you break this down to ask which and address my comments to each one.

    There are always some trying anything we can think of. By your logic, we must live in constant fear. Ever hear of threat assessment? There needs to be some reasonable possibility of success in order to make one raise the threat level to the panic.

    Btw, seems your weren't killed in DC. How dd at not happen?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #705
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    30 years ago no one would have believed that the 15 round magazines issued with the hundreds of thousands of MI carbines our own government sold (at very favorable prices) to us civilians through the Dept. Of Civilian Marksmanship would become illegal to be made and sold for a ten year period.

    the entire goal of the gun control movement is a complete ban on firearms. Once you believe that banning some firearms reduces crime and trumps the rights of those who lawfully use those firearms you have made all the choices needed to support a complete ban
    It took 30 years?

    Again, it has to be reasonably possible before you reach panic mode.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #706
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    This is what mean, even you know it won't happen. All the sky is falling hyperbole because one congress critter says or dies something that won't fly. Line up my friend, both sides do this.

    So buck up, life won't change much when all s said and done.

    That doesn't mean that nothing should be said of the attempt does it? The intent of these liberals in their arrogant, and blatant disregard of the constitution should be called out whenever it happens, no matter how embarrassing it is for you.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #707
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    That doesn't mean that nothing should be said of the attempt does it? The intent of these liberals in their arrogant, and blatant disregard of the constitution should be called out whenever it happens, no matter how embarrassing it is for you.
    Said? Sure. But only in context if the reality and not the exaggeration.

    You would also do better to address the arguments and not "liberals." Often people fighting fantom liberals run astray of the argument before them.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #708
    Sage
    BretJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,327

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    This is what mean, even you know it won't happen. All the sky is falling hyperbole because one congress critter says or dies something that won't fly. Line up my friend, both sides do this.

    So buck up, life won't change much when all s said and done.
    So in a nutshell, your approach is apathy.
    Look, I am in no way comparing you with Nazis. I would like to point out that the same philosophy you propose led normal, decent Germans to allow the atrocities that occured. As in, unless it affected them directly, it was easy to ignore the reality of what was happening. After all, nobody could do such a thing. It must be partisan hyperbole.
    BTW, those congress critters can do it one way or another if apathetic people allow them to.
    Last edited by BretJ; 01-26-13 at 03:39 PM.
    The opposite of hero is not villain, it is "bystander"
    " In doing what we ought we deserve no praise, because it is our duty." -Aurelius Augustine
    "But why do they use them to make Brawndo??!!"

  9. #709
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,885

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I love that you break this down to ask which and address my comments to each one.
    Its called a point by point rebuttal, you made a great deal of statements which I felt warranting comment. Had I put all those comments in one TLDR paragraph, you would miss more of my points or not know to what I am referring to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    There are always some trying anything we can think of. By your logic, we must live in constant fear.
    Not at all, do I strike you as fearful? I am vigilant, there is a difference, for constant vigilance is the cost of freedom.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Ever hear of threat assessment? There needs to be some reasonable possibility of success in order to make one raise the threat level to the panic.
    Things having already passed, or having + 55% support when polled certainly falls under "potential threat." It seems you would wait to be under complete tyranny before calling it so.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Btw, seems your weren't killed in DC. How dd at not happen?
    You son of a bitch, you know nothing of how many deaths I saw. My family, my neighbors, my brother's friends in high school. I saw more than enough blood during the crack epidemic to know that prohibition of both drugs and firearms exacerbates crime.

    The reason I didn't die, like so many of my family, is because we fled DC for the much safer suburbs of Maryland where we could in fact defend our homes. After such an ignorant and despicable question, which pisses on all those who did die, I have no interest in you or your opinions at all ever again. May posterity forget you were my countrymen you insensitive piece of ****. **** you!
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  10. #710
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Said? Sure. But only in context if the reality and not the exaggeration.

    You would also do better to address the arguments and not "liberals." Often people fighting fantom liberals run astray of the argument before them.

    Well, let me give you an example of astray coming from Feinstein, a liberal.

    "Feinstein said. "The purpose is to dry up the supply of these weapons over time.”

    in the same press conference Dick Durbin, another liberal said...

    "This isn’t an issue of simply Constitution, it’s an issue of conscious,”

    Letting the cat out of the bag that these liberals are not even considering the constitution in their goals...

    Many "liberals" are supporting this.

    As for fighting 'phantom liberals', I know Joe that you like to try and muddy these extreme elements of the liberal democrat coalition by attempting to downplay who they are, but you yourself as a self proclaimed liberal by your lean, and positions taken are whom I am speaking to generally. So let's not play the silly game of adopting the individuality of a representative only when convenient...
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 71 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •