Page 51 of 84 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 838

Thread: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standard

  1. #501
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    swords and axes aren't illegal.

    Carrying them in public in town is often frowned on though.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  2. #502
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    ....And we don't need auto or semi automatic guns,...
    Who in the world do you think you speak for? not me....

    And not this woman either....

    "A woman hiding in her attic with children shot an intruder multiple times before fleeing to safety Friday.
    The incident happened at a home on Henderson Ridge Lane in Loganville around 1 p.m. The woman was working in an upstairs office when she spotted a strange man outside a window, according to Walton County Sheriff Joe Chapman. He said she took her 9-year-old twins to a crawlspace before the man broke in using a crowbar.

    But the man eventually found the family.

    "The perpetrator opens that door. Of course, at that time he's staring at her, her two children and a .38 revolver," Chapman told Channel 2ís Kerry Kavanaugh.

    The woman then shot him five times, but he survived, Chapman said. He said the woman ran out of bullets but threatened to shoot the intruder if he moved.

    "She's standing over him, and she realizes she's fired all six rounds. And the guy's telling her to quit shooting," Chapman said."

    Woman Hiding in Attic Shoots Intruder Five Times to Protect Her Children - Daniel Doherty
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #503
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Who in the world do you think you speak for? not me....

    And not this woman either....

    "A woman hiding in her attic with children shot an intruder multiple times before fleeing to safety Friday.
    The incident happened at a home on Henderson Ridge Lane in Loganville around 1 p.m. The woman was working in an upstairs office when she spotted a strange man outside a window, according to Walton County Sheriff Joe Chapman. He said she took her 9-year-old twins to a crawlspace before the man broke in using a crowbar.

    But the man eventually found the family.

    "The perpetrator opens that door. Of course, at that time he's staring at her, her two children and a .38 revolver," Chapman told Channel 2’s Kerry Kavanaugh.

    The woman then shot him five times, but he survived, Chapman said. He said the woman ran out of bullets but threatened to shoot the intruder if he moved.

    "She's standing over him, and she realizes she's fired all six rounds. And the guy's telling her to quit shooting," Chapman said."

    Woman Hiding in Attic Shoots Intruder Five Times to Protect Her Children - Daniel Doherty
    A reasonable person. That's who I am.

    And as we've agreed before, you can't pull up single stories to prove a point. I can pull up stuff that would argue for methods that would have kept out of that situation to begin with. Or stats that show for every story like this one, there are some forty something of people shooting themselves.

    So, how should we play it?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #504
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standard

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I never said wining the election by any numbers means actual rights can be taken away.
    But you mentioned in your argument that gun owners are in the minority. The implication being that since they are a minority that their rights can be brushed aside.

    I don't believe any actual rights are being lost.
    Just because you don't exercise that right you won't recognize that it's lost (or that you are losing it).

    Regulations and limitations are well within the scope of legal and Constitutional possibilities.
    Ya, the limitations exist, self-defense is always justifiable, even it results in lethal force being used. You cannot aggressively use force or you will be prosecuted (and hopefully executed).


    The only question is the lone of where you can and can't.
    Yes, in your private property you can put up a sign saying that guns are not allowed in your home.

    The people are supposed to be police / militia, police officers being people delegated to the task of taking people to justice... Not the task of protecting people from crime.

    That protection is your own responsibility, but if you prefer you, your children, your spouse remain defenseless against criminals, that's your own prerogative, but don't try to dictate how others should defend themselves.

    And yes, I fully understand both of the issues you bring up. And we don't need auto or semi automatic guns, and being armed will not change anything. You better have another plan.
    Well, I guess we're just slaves to government then....

  5. #505
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standard

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    A reasonable person. That's who I am.

    And as we've agreed before, you can't pull up single stories to prove a point. I can pull up stuff that would argue for methods that would have kept out of that situation to begin with. Or stats that show for every story like this one, there are some forty something of people shooting themselves.

    So, how should we play it?
    No, you're not really being reasonable...

    So what?!? People commit suicide all the time, and it doesn't matter if you take all guns away people will hang themselves or whatever... You can even overdose on aspirin if you are really intent, or we going to ban aspirin because of the potential to kill oneself?

    Or do you mean like the 0.001% of gun cases where a gun misfires an shoots someone? Hell, if someone is that dumb / careless they shouldn't have got the gun anyway.

    This is an impossible debate, no matter how many facts and figures you are shown, it's not going to change your emotional fear based arguments... Check please.

  6. #506
    Advisor Dammitboy!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Meridian, Mississippi
    Last Seen
    04-13-13 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    343

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    we don't need auto or semi automatic guns...
    You don't speak for me nor do you represent me. Your rights end at the tip of your nose.
    Some apes are more equal...

  7. #507
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    But you mentioned in your argument that gun owners are in the minority. The implication being that since they are a minority that their rights can be brushed aside.
    yes, they are a minority. They would lose a vote on semi automatic weapons. But, no, it is not your RIGHT to have semi automatic weapons.


    Just because you don't exercise that right you won't recognize that it's lost (or that you are losing it).
    It must first actually be a right.

    Ya, the limitations exist, self-defense is always justifiable, even it results in lethal force being used. You cannot aggressively use force or you will be prosecuted (and hopefully executed).
    There is no proposed law against defending yourself.


    Yes, in your private property you can put up a sign saying that guns are not allowed in your home.

    The people are supposed to be police / militia, police officers being people delegated to the task of taking people to justice... Not the task of protecting people from crime.

    That protection is your own responsibility, but if you prefer you, your children, your spouse remain defenseless against criminals, that's your own prerogative, but don't try to dictate how others should defend themselves.
    Strawman. Again, no one is suggesting anyone be defenseless.


    Well, I guess we're just slaves to government then....
    And yet, one more strawman. No one said this either.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #508
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    No, you're not really being reasonable...

    So what?!? People commit suicide all the time, and it doesn't matter if you take all guns away people will hang themselves or whatever... You can even overdose on aspirin if you are really intent, or we going to ban aspirin because of the potential to kill oneself?

    Or do you mean like the 0.001% of gun cases where a gun misfires an shoots someone? Hell, if someone is that dumb / careless they shouldn't have got the gun anyway.

    This is an impossible debate, no matter how many facts and figures you are shown, it's not going to change your emotional fear based arguments... Check please.
    I mean both and more. The kid who finds his parents gun and shoots himself or another child. The home owner who messess around and shoots a neighbor of family member. In all kinds of ways, we shoot each other and not criminals.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #509
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by Dammitboy! View Post
    You don't speak for me nor do you represent me. Your rights end at the tip of your nose.
    Again, unrelated.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #510
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standard

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    yes, they are a minority. They would lose a vote on semi automatic weapons. But, no, it is not your RIGHT to have semi automatic weapons.
    That's why Obama used executive orders, right? Cause he knew the votes would be in, right?

    Actually, it's your right to bear arms so that you can defend yourself. Arms means weapons, there was no restriction... Yours is an arbitrary interpretation where the founders intended us to be able to defend ourselves with front loading muskets...

    No, the right to bear arms was to ensure the continuation of a free state.

    Let's say it wasnt the us government (effectively) declaring war against Americans that want to remain free, the second amendment I also meant to protect against another country coming in to enslave the country.



    It must first actually be a right.
    The right to bear arms is a right... So, you try to say "I'm not infringing on your rights to bear arms, I'm trying to limit your use of weapons."

    Think about that statement.... I can see the justification for not having missile silos in your back yard because the collateral damage risk is far to great and would only be useful in a case of invasion, so the use is best kept to the army. So, that's a reasonable restriction.


    There is no proposed law against defending yourself.
    No, you are supporting laws that would limit your capacity to defend yourself against the crazies and criminals that we both admit are a problem in society.



    Strawman. Again, no one is suggesting anyone be defenseless.
    Yes, you are pushing to restrict weapons, and you also missed the point here...

    The point is that on your private property you can restrict guns, but if you want to limit people's abilities on the street then you are infringing on people's rights.

    So, why aren't you going to put up a sign announcing to all who enter that guns are not allowed in your home??




    And yet, one more strawman. No one said this either.
    You said the government cannot be stopped, so, we live only to serve government which runs our lives, for all intentions that means you are not truly a free person but subservient... In other words we are slaves.

    No, this is not a strawman, this is what it looks like when you look past the tip of your nose to see the implications of what you say.

Page 51 of 84 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •