Page 44 of 84 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 838

Thread: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standard

  1. #431
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Limited to semi automatics. This is not all guns, nor not allowing you to defend yourself. I won't shed any crocodile tears of semi automatics.
    The permits are for handguns and they are severely restricted so it is an issue. Gov. Cummo and Mayor Bloomberg both want to take away all semiautomatics. All semiautomatics do is automatically put the next round in the chamber after firing the first. The same goes for the Gov of Illinois and many Mayors in that State. They simply do not want common folk to have firearms but are being forced to by the Courts into accepting it.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  2. #432
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Not at all....A weapon is used for many things. My shotgun for hunting, and personal protection. My 9mm for home protection, and personal protection on the road. Both could be used in defense of the nation, if the need arose, like say a Red Dawn type of thing, but they are mine, not the governments. And the right is mine, not afforded me by man, but ensured as endowed by my creator.
    Then would I be off the mark if I said we both agree that most Americans would purchase a weapons based on how they intend to use it?

    For personal protection, most people would purchase a hand gun, not a shot gun or assault riffle - semi-automatic or full. A few would even purchase a shot gun (but I'd consider that to be over-kill but that's just me). If you're a hunter, you'd certainly buy a hunting riffle some of which are semi-automatic, but I think the adage, "one shot, one kill," is appropriate in such circumstances. And if you're a gun collector, you'd likely purchase just about anything the law allows. However, I think the quantity of ammunition for weapons as collector's items should be limited or even restricted to procurment only at shooting ranges. The reason for this is simple: You purchased the weapons as a collector's item - a show piece, not for sport. But I do understand that collectors would like to show off such weapons if for no other reason than to ensure they still work. I also believe certain types of ammunication should be restricted for use by the general public, i.e., hollow-point bullets.

    I think the gun application, the background checks AND the gun permit(s) should all reflect the specific "category" of weapon the applicant applied for, i.e., "personal use, hunting, collector" (if that's not what's already happening). IMO, none of the ideas mentioned herein would prevent anyone from purchasing any weapon of practical use that's on the market today. Thus, no one's 2nd Amendment rights would be infringed upon. It's just good old common sense.

  3. #433
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Yank View Post
    In turn I wouldnt shed any tears if your house was invaded by multiple intruders and you & your wife & kids were all there & you had to defend yourself with a single shot. My guess is you wouldnt be able to stop them and your family would be at there mercy.
    Not worried it. But it says a lot about you here.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #434
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Serious View Post
    The permits are for handguns and they are severely restricted so it is an issue. Gov. Cummo and Mayor Bloomberg both want to take away all semiautomatics. All semiautomatics do is automatically put the next round in the chamber after firing the first. The same goes for the Gov of Illinois and many Mayors in that State. They simply do not want common folk to have firearms but are being forced to by the Courts into accepting it.
    Yeah, I know what they do, and it is not a big issue. It just isn't. Nor does your conclusion drawn make any sense. There are plenty of weapons that are not semi automatic. Many common folks own them.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #435
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standard

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You use a gun lobbying site, hardly objective, but using them in suicides supports what I'm saying and doesn't rebut it. You link is merely trying to excuse the fact.
    If someone is going to kill themselves they will find a way, men typically use guns or hanging, women typically use pills or knife. And women commit suicide more often then men... Are we going to ban all these things too??

    Yes, suicide is tragic, but it does not relate to gun laws, it's a separate issue.

  6. #436
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    If someone is going to kill themselves they will find a way, men typically use guns or hanging, women typically use pills or knife. And women commit suicide more often then men... Are we going to ban all these things too??

    Yes, suicide is tragic, but it does not relate to gun laws, it's a separate issue.
    Again, matters not one bit to he fact. Not one single bit. It is merely a. Statistically fact that we shoot ourselves more than we do criminals. A gun in the house, statistically, is more likely to be used in a suicide, to shoot a family member or friend, or be involved in an accidental shooting. No matter how you explain it or excuse it, the fact is still a fact.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #437
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standard

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Again, as a society we are more than willing to spend time and money to regulate, restrict, ban, and improve aspects of the automobile to improve safety. All most people are asking is that the gun consistency be equal amenable.
    No, what is wanted is that the second amendment means that you can fire a revolver at a gun range, with proper permits.

    Unfortunately that just leaves criminals and cops with guns... And cops are not required to save your life, but they are there to respond to a crime and then bring the person responsible I justice.

    Go ahead and ask a cop his liability if he doesn't prevent harm to a victim of crime.

    So, that gives the criminals a tremendous advantage.

  8. #438
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standard

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Yank View Post
    In turn I wouldnt shed any tears if your house was invaded by multiple intruders and you & your wife & kids were all there & you had to defend yourself with a single shot. My guess is you wouldnt be able to stop them and your family would be at there mercy.
    So,the second amendment means front loaded muskets... That's funny...

  9. #439
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,068

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    No, what is wanted is that the second amendment means that you can fire a revolver at a gun range, with proper permits.

    Unfortunately that just leaves criminals and cops with guns... And cops are not required to save your life, but they are there to respond to a crime and then bring the person responsible I justice.

    Go ahead and ask a cop his liability if he doesn't prevent harm to a victim of crime.

    So, that gives the criminals a tremendous advantage.
    Just so you know, you are arguing against a strawman or your perception of what you think liberals believe. You certainly are not arguing against anything I said as I have never stated nor suggested we ban guns, nor do I believe guns should be banned. Though wI personally believe that having a gun in the home for security gives you nothing more than a false sense of security, but if it makes you sleep better at night, more power to you. I also don't believe in studded snow tires in Colorado, but some people think they are necessary. Neither are arguments I am terribly interested in.

    I do believe we should ban extended clips and require background checks for ALL gun transactions. (People would be licensed to buy guns, getting the license after a background check... and sellers would be legally liable if they could not prove they saw the buyer's license). I know neither are a panacea, but I think in each case they have major benefit. I realize the violence issues at hand are very complex and I am not looking for one thing to fix it.... but, the gun constituency can concede those items.

  10. #440
    Advisor Dammitboy!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Meridian, Mississippi
    Last Seen
    04-13-13 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    343

    Re: Biden: Obama Considering 'Executive Order' to Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standar

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    The # of murders committed with hammers is inconsequential. I don't see your point.
    Your ignorance is consequential...



    So if your statement is true, "# of murders committed with hammers is inconsequential" - then the number of murders committed with a rifle are even less so.
    Some apes are more equal...

Page 44 of 84 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •